Best Starter Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My boys (ages 8, 9, and 10) are looking forward to the "fun" part of firewooding namely using axes and saws. I started running a saw at 11 so time is getting close.

I have a small saw in my M36 but due to it's compact size and ergonomics I don't really feel comfortable using this as a "trainer". My old Husky 41 had a good feel and I wouldn't mind something like that.

Now I have heard that folks didn't have good luck with Husky 240 but the 435 is a good one? What other models should I look at? I am pretty much open on brands but after running Poulan 4218 and 5020 I was not impressed so I would not consider these.

A bonus would be a saw that used 3/8 low profile so I can keep my chain styles down to two (low profile for little saws, 3/8 for the rest) but have no problem stocking .325 if needed.

40-50cc with a 14-16 inch bar
ms170 is a good beginner stihl ,i am not up on the other brands this size

Now if your wanting to go .325 id say a husky 450. The dolly is 10.8lbs with 2.9hp the husky is also 10.8lbs but 3.2hp. think there is $50-60 difference between the two.
I owned a 450 (great saw BTW) and wouldn't want that much HP in a starter saw. But Husky 435/440 are definitely on the radar.

I owned a 450 (great saw BTW) and wouldn't want that much HP in a starter saw. But Husky 435/440 are definitely on the radar.
I understand your reasoning but you must be the 1st person I've heard say a saw has "too much hp" :laughing: Id go to the Dolmar dealer and check out a new 421 :)

I understand your reasoning but you must be the 1st person I've heard say a saw has "too much hp" :laughing: Id go to the Dolmar dealer and check out a new 421 :)
Same reason why I don't want to train them with my 550...it's the same weight as most 40-50cc HO saws but I don't need them wielding the lightsaber yet LOL

2 years olds like 550's
5d8275e030c7cfa16a8688af57e92e15.jpg

just do what my dad did. drink beer with them and run 2 series husky's with busted chainbrakes clearing trails around the yard LOL they are getting a little old to be the same scenario but it's never to late. my dad was a mad man. i never got cut once though. that was when CAD was really set in for me.

Back