Best Stihl for running 20" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl MS362

What STIHL do you recommend for handling a 20" bar? The saw will be used for small jobs and occasional firewood if need be.

I love my Stihl MS 362 but for "occasional firewood," it's probably overkill. As stated in some previous posts, you spend more for a pro saw but gets the job done a little quicker. I compared the weight of 291/ 311 vs. the 362 and liked the power and balance of the MS362 with a 20" bar. Looked around a while and compared to $700 new, picked up a used one for $510.

My brother in law just picked up a used trade-in MS362 from a Stihl dealer for $425, completely gone through, replaced fuel lines, etc. and out the door with a couple chains - 20" bar. You may want to check if your dealer ever takes anything like that in.

The MS362 just does a heck of a job pulling a 20" bar if that's what you have set in your mind.

Just my opinion but good luck in your search.

MS 362 if it was my money, I just like stihl better personally and parts are easier and usually faster to get from my experience . Saws are mechanical so sooner or later u will need parts and in the east stihl dealers are more numerous. Nothing wrong with the 311 either but the 362 is a far superior saw in power,balance and longevity ...

Last edited:
So I got down to the saw shop today where the dealer sells both husky and stihl. We narrowed it down to 4 saws. 2 landowner/ranch models and 2 pro models...

You're a forester, right? OK, then get a pro saw that matches what you do for a living. :) Husky 562xp or Stihl ms362. Ask the dealer which one he thinks would be more reliable and durable, and which one he'd rather work on. If he has the diagnostic software and taken the training for the Husky auto-tune, that's a good sign for the 562, which is a newer design. If I were in need of a 60cc saw, I would be quite happy with either one.

Forget the 880 or 3120, just go straight to the 090 with a 21" bar. Maybe a 10 or 11 pin with 3/8. If it doesnt bread your back it will sure build your arms. If you can feel them afterward.

i'll throw a wrench in this discussion hehe... i think the OP's needs and funds are perfectly suited to the dolmar 6400....OP check on baileys for them. trust me they run a 20" or 24" in hardwood like a champ. then when you get bored with all that torque you can put a 7900 top end on it and get the rest of the power to suit your new CAD:rock:

heres my list for the OP:
-Dolmar PS6400
-Husky 562XP
-Echo CS600P
-Stihl MS362

any of those 4 and your in a good place

Last edited:
What STIHL do you recommend for handling a 20" bar? The saw will be used for small jobs and occasional firewood if need be.

ms 311 is dogged for its 14 lbs and some post say it is hard to start but i have one with a 20 inch bar and starts on second pull and the extra wieght is not that important to me it actualy helps if you let the saw do the work but i am not a logger i only cut for fire wood

Latest posts

Back