Best time to Unload some saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When is the best time to sell off some of my Stihls? Summer while people are working or fall when people are thinking about winter. I've come to the truth that I don't need 20+ saws for the 7 cords of wood I use a year.

I would think late summer, early fall would be the best. Selling any big saws?

I say take them to the bay if you have a good enough user account (volume, feedback) that people will see you as trustworthy

If you go local on CL unload them s-l-o-w-l-y dont flood the market

i have the best luck selling on craigslist around tax time

I think you will sell for a lot more on ebay than on CL. People go bonkers on ebay, the bidding frenzy just takes over common sense. This is good for sellers. Ebay is rarely a good place for buyers, although sometimes you get lucky. The hassle is, you've got to ship and paypal will take a fee off but the price you get is better in the first place.
I don;t think season matters for ebay.

Sell them after Labor day on the Bay. A lot of people will be on vacation the next few weeks so they're not looking at the computer. Plus buyers are will be thinking back to school and football and such so they won't be focused on the wood pile for a month or so.

I saw a few really nice machines go for pretty average money the last couple of weeks. If I were in the market for a saw, now seems the time to buy.

tailgate down....

When the tailgate is down.

Been there, almost done that. A first, I couldn't understand why the dude behind me was honking, waving, but most definitely not tailgating. Then I looked in my rear view mirror instead of my side mirror. I had one jumping around on the tailgate, almost ready to launch.

Sell them after Labor day on the Bay. A lot of people will be on vacation the next few weeks so they're not looking at the computer. Plus buyers are will be thinking back to school and football and such so they won't be focused on the wood pile for a month or so.

I saw a few really nice machines go for pretty average money the last couple of weeks. If I were in the market for a saw, now seems the time to buy.

Yah, after labor day right up 'til 2 weeks before Christmas on eBay works well. You gotta have good feedback and know how to list a saw (just copy other successful listings; just search your item, check "completed listings" and set the box to "price + shipping, highest first"), with good, large, clear photos, and check your spelling!
I start my Popular saws at .99 with no reserve, it generates interest, and pulls in the bids and views, saves on the listing fee as well. I wouldn't use this method on unusual items though.
I do sell on Craigslist though, (avoids the eBay fees), there are certain items that are popular here in CT, and others that are not, (like Stihl 066 ms660 or Husky 394's, 395's) That are popular elsewhere, for those items you're better off on eBay, and most likely will be shipping 'em to Oregon or out that way where they consider a MS440/460 "a little saw".

i'm starting to look for a big saw and a limbing saw to add to my collection and im right in connecticut as well. what are you looking to sell?

When the tailgate is down.

I rode my Harley about 68 miles last weekend with one of my bags open. I only got passed by one car the whole way and couldn't figure out why the kids in that car were so animated. I only lost a T-shirt.

I only got burned on E-bay once for listing a saw for $.99. It was a Pioneer RA that was missing the top cover. There was only 2 people watching it and only one bid made. The guy sent me a video of that saw running like a week after the sale. I hope he was a member here.

Also I have found that if the auction ends on a Monday nite around 10:30 Eastern time, you get allot of activity from bidders out west. Seems [to me anyway] that people are bored on a Monday nite and they"re on the computer.

Does anyone have a preferance for when they end or list an item.

Back