Best Two-Saw Combo and Help with New Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to be on the lookout for a used 440 or 460.

Anyone have any experiece with Poplar trees. Are they prone to falling? Also, any opinions on whether the arborist's idea of cabling would work on these giants. He said the side slope is more stable than flat. They propose two cables, I believe 1/2 and 2/3 up the tree. Have noticed that when the wind blows they do not always sway in perfect tandem, and I would be affraid that the cables may cause extreme pressure and possibly more bad than good.

Troll:

The trunk on the right leans towards the right, parallel to the fence. The left trunk leans toward the neighbor's house. The only clear path is to the right along the fence.

No expert, but I would think the left one might fall on house if the right one is suddenly removed.

OK, got it!

Id say get the tops taken out to the then fell the trunks with wedges and a winch.

All depends on your confidence, Personally with the proximity to the houses Id play it safe.

I recently felled a 30" maple that as leaning towards a house with a rotten base using a 3/8" cables and a stout farm tractor. Worked perfect!

090 and an 090g :greenchainsaw:

if I could only have two i`d keep my ported 460 for everything but mill work and the 090 for that.

Stihl 090/056, Mac cp125/sp81, Homie 750 or 990/540, Dolmar 166/143. These are all GREAT two saw combo's.

I may have a bias.

May Have?????????? LOLOL!!!!!!! :givebeer:

440/460 would be a good match to your 260,,,,,

on the trees,,,,, the one that leans down the fence line,,,,, remove the fence first!!!! and consider some professional help,,,(especially on the one that the lean is favoring toward the house) you can augment the job by doing what you can,,,,,, limbing, bucking, or Clean up etc. etc.

Update:

Here is an update on my Poplar Tree project guys, and need a recommendation on the Stihl 192T.

My neighbor will be doing the climbing and topping of the trees. He planned on using only a hand saw, but I believe that may be too tiresome and increase the chances of an accident. Therefore, have decided to possibly purchase a climbing chainsaw to do the job. Will take him to the dealer to get a feel for one, and whether it would be something he would be comfortable using. Will most likely just sell it after the job is complete, unless I become attached to it.

Need to know if a new 192T or used 200T would be best for this job (see treetop picture at earlier post)? We measured the height of the tree with an antique tripod scope and it's 105 feet. Unfortunately the highest lift bucket available is 50 ft. so he will be climbing about 20 ft above the bucket to reach the highest major limbs.

Also called a local hardwood mill and they got me set up with a fellow that will give an estimate for felling the tree, and another guy that will pick up the trunk and deliver to the mill if it can be dropped in usable lengths. Might even get paid for it.

Will post some pics of the work. Will proably be a few weeks. In meantime would like opinions on the climbing saw.

Thanks

BRedd

Id say get the tops taken out to the then fell the trunks with wedges and a winch.

All depends on your confidence, Personally with the proximity to the houses Id play it safe.

I agree, if he can attach the wire high enough on the second trunk to secure it, before felling the first one along the fence - and then bore the back cut, and wedge along the way (take your time) on the second one........

Last edited:
Either saw would work well. I have an old Mcculloch top handle that will pull a 16" with no problem. It,s a little heavier than the newer stihls but I paid 20 dollars for it..

as far as cutting the one that will fall with the fence, I dought that the other will go into the house. At least i have never seen anything like that happen in the woods where trees tend not to be as strong against wind as stand alone sticks.

Good luck!!

I agree, if he can attach the wire high enough on the second trunk to secure it, before felling the first one along the fence - and then bore the back cut, and wedge along the way (take your time) on the second one........

We have decided to let a bonded and insured pro do this felling work, as its just too complicated for us amateurs. If the pro wants too much $$$, then we will just use the MS260 to bring the trunk down in small pieces and use for firewood.

I am going to be on the lookout for a used 440 or 460.

Anyone have any experiece with Poplar trees. Are they prone to falling?

Had one almost exactly like that in the woods behind our house, one of the trunks blew down last year.

Had one almost exactly like that in the woods behind our house, one of the trunks blew down last year.

Thanks for your input. These trunks have been moving further apart in past few years and the tops dying. Just a matter of time before it crashes through my neighbor's house.

Back