Best "value" saws. Post opinions here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep your eyes open on Craigs List. A lot of the stuff is either overpriced or junk, but you can find a jewel occasionally. I got my 346XP NE for $200. It doesn't look like it was used very much. The guy selling it said he liked his Stihl better, and that's why he was selling it. I think it was because it leaked oil (judging by the amount of oil all over the saw), was hard to start (judging by the disconnected choke linkage), and he didn't know what he had. I connected the choke linkage back up, and I relieve the oil tank pressure when I'm done using it, and voila, and almost new pro level saw for $200.

I love my Echo 590, I think it was a great value. I got mine "lightly used" on eBay for $315 shipped and I don't think it had ever been fueled.

I think the Makita 6401/6421 everybody gets from home depot sounds like a great deal too. I wouldn't mind picking one up but there's no home depot close by.

The best values to me in small saws are the little homelites (xl/xl2/super 2). They made a ton of them. I bought one that looked brand new for $10 a couple years ago. The dual trigger model is my favorite.

HD rental Makita 6401/6421 around $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My friend is a manager at home depot and she tried for years to get a lead on one of those but i guess only certain stores sold the used ones i would have snapped one up if i got the chance.

Used mcculloch pro Mac 610/ timberbear/ eager beaver 3.7. Used good running $100-$150. Non runner $5-$30. I bought one with less than 20 hours on it for $25 with a case once. All it needed to run was a new spark plug. I have yet to see one with low compression. Those saws just about never die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think thats a misconception, that electrolux ever made huskys. I think electrolux bought husqvarna in the 70's or something but 51/55's are as much husky as any other, and certainly more than the newer plastic homeowner garbage.

Nope not true, there were more then one crap box Husqvarna made at the Emab plant. Also the 51/55 followed the Husky 50 which borrowed parts and designs from Partner. Some parts from Partner still bolt on to a Husqvarna 55.

When it comes to new saws the 5020 isn't a bad beginner saw at all. The Dolmar 421 would make most firewood guys happy, so long as you keep up on the chain. In a bigger saws, yes the cs590 is in it's own class, when it comes to bang for the buck.

Used saws is a whole different ball game with many models and brands to list. One should probably consider parts availability, if you plan on really pouting the saw to work. This would narrow the field down some.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You can find Homelite Xl/Super XL all over running and cheap. No AV but in a pinch the torquey reed valve motor will pull a 24" bar. I've cut a lot of firewood with one years ago.

The stihl 028 if you can find one in good condition. Built like a little tank.

The 024/026/034/036 are great but many are overpriced.

The 038 and 038S are reliable old tanks that can be found cheap. A bigger tank than the 028. 038M are great too but tend to be overpriced in good condition.

If you can afford a good second hand pro Husqvarna or Stihl saw and look after it then you will have a great saw for years to come making the initial purchase price insignificant over time.
You can't beat a Mag/alloy crankcase to stand the test of time.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

This will relate more to Aussie guys, but here, any Stihl or Husky is overpriced for what you get. Having said that I think the Husky 268/72 is a good option for a powerful all round saw that you can still get parts for.
The reality here though is that the bargains are in other quality brands - Dolmar is the best. their 80's 90's saws are so solid. 114 115 116 and 120 are all great options if you are willing to learn a bit about saws and find a parts supplier on line.
You cant give away a US made Mcculloch here. There are many great saws that come up because people associate them with Chinese junk here. The very best value are Mcculloch badged Dolmars - no none knows what they are looking at!
In Australia at least I would say that the best value saw is a Dolmar 115i for a moderninsh pro quality say. If you are handy, the Mcculloch 10-10 based saws and the 610's are stonking value. Echo's are undervalued as are Solo's, A Jonsered rarely comes up but is undervalued compared to a husky. Old Homelites are worth nothing and I should get a few....

If you are on here, get something classic and ask advice. $100 should do you.

Sounds like for a all around 1st cheap new saw, the 5020AV is the best buy. For a step up in price and the best budget 2 saw plan a Dolmar 421 and Echo CS590 is hard to beat. What would be the next step up for a full time professional setup?

You can't get more saw than the Echo CS-590 for around $300-350. There are GOBS of them available from new to very lightly used in that price range. I bought a CS590 and an NOS CS-600p and have been running the bag off of them for quite some time, zero issues anyplace and they are very strong runners for the cc's.

I stay as far as I can away from newer Poulan offerings, they absolutely HATE me. When I see folks carrying those up here to be worked on I go hide in the back room and let Ray deal with them!........Cliff

I agree about the newer Poulans other than the 5020. I buy non runners to resell and the 4218 size Poulan saws I have gotten 5 in the last 2 weeks. All look nearly new. Real finicky to work on. Im,sure with a little more experience I could grow to like the strato design, but so far, thumbs down

Back