Best way to clean a spark plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in my apprentice days 1950/55 most plug manufactures had a blast type spark plug cleaners, & when I did my military service (RAF)they had blast type cleaning machines for the piston engined aircraft still in service. 24 plugs in Rolls Royce Merlin/Griffon, 48 in Napier Sabres, & 28 in the 14 cyl,& 36 in the 18 cyl Radials.There were guys doing this job full time, I am not sure of the process or the blast agent but the cleaned plugs when fitted never gave any problems so they must have had a way to remove all the sand or abrasive post cleaning.

A lot of the issues aside from oil and carbon with plug fouling back then was lead glazing which is hard and won't come off with a wire brush. Blasting was pretty much the only way to remove that.

Buy Bosch plugs. That goes for everybody!

You will instantly gain 1000 rpm and 2 horsepower, and your chain will stay sharp forever.

Also please replace your Walbro carbs with Bosch fuel injection, and your chain brakes with a Bosch ABS brake system.

Sorry, I cannot reveal my employer to you. It's top secret.
I can't comment on the fuel injection/ ABS chain brake, but the last box of 10 plugs of Bosch 6 were faulty 3 wouldn't spark at all, & the other 3 worked for between 5 & 15 mins a refund was issued straight away & despite asking the reason for the failures, no explanation was forth coming, this was some 3 years ago & we switched to Denso & to date have not had any problems at all. So sorry we won't/ don't use what is obviously your employers products, I must also add that we are a commercial logging set up & had had the odd failure before, but not by any means to that degree. I have no doubt others have suffered with other brands & each has his own favorite brand. We have used most if not all brands & Denso are the only completely trouble free brand.

Lead oxide/ metal oxide glazing is why spark plug cleaners exist. Always wanted to know if the glaze that was manufactured on the insulator was lead based. Probably still is, Do not cook food with or rub your sparkplug on bare skin with vigorousness. Perverts. Stop putting them in your mouth, nose, ears and eyes. Without the addition of other materials it is a fragile glaze and is easily removed with glass. Little bit of silica, maybe some borax, feldspar whatever and it starts to get harder to remove, still stop rubbing it on your bare skin. Perverts.

Forgot heat, needs heat as well otherwise it is just a sandbox. A horrible horrible sandbox.

Latest posts

Back