best way to fix stripped muffler bolts on 266XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so after a good couple days of cutting some nice dry ash i went to give the 266 a thorough cleaning and noticed the muffler was a touch loose. nothing major but still noticeable. i wen to tighten the muffler bolts and then noticed i wasn't getting anywhere. i went to remove the bolt holding the muffler bracket to the main case and then noticed the bracket had broken right above the bolt. i removed the other bolt in the bracket held by the top spike bolt and then proceeded to pull the muffler assembly right off the cylinder:bang: not good... the threads on the bolts looked more like they were plugged with aluminum than stripped out but they definitly wont go back in.

whats the best way to fix this? do i get OEM bolts and just jb weld them in there? do i redrill and tap for a larger bolt, but then what about the muffler sliding over? I just reviced this saw not to long ago and its finally settling in and running awesome... i really hope this isn't a major issue to remedy :msp_sad:

I know guys that have had that problem in the past have drilled and retapped to the next larger size. Loctite should keep them in place the next go around.

Helicoils or timeserts are the way to go. I've done it many times to exhaust flanges... I did a Husky 61 a few months ago and the result is always stronger than the original. Just be sure the muffler bracket is doing its job, that's usually how the flange threads get stripped in the first place.

Helicoils or timeserts are the way to go. I've done it many times to exhaust flanges... I did a Husky 61 a few months ago and the result is always stronger than the original. Just be sure the muffler bracket is doing its job, that's usually how the flange threads get stripped in the first place.

does the muffler bracket go under the muffler bolt nuts or is it just supported by the remaining threads after tightening the nuts onto the muffler bolts? i cant say i looked at that before i tore it apart...

does the muffler bracket go under the muffler bolt nuts or is it just supported by the remaining threads after tightening the nuts onto the muffler bolts? i cant say i looked at that before i tore it apart...

Put the muffler bracket under the nuts and tighten it all down, do you have the gasket? Good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back