Best way to pack a bar wrench , Or , how do you keep your bar wrench with you ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Stihl Combi can which holds fuel, bar oil, plug/bar wrench/screwdriver thing and a file.
Although I'm under the impression that in "The land of the free" you're not allowed to buy them?
Combipro.jpg

You could make a bloody fortune selling those to us Yanks on eBay.

You could make a bloody fortune selling those to us Yanks on eBay.

Unfortunately not, they are quite expensive over here and by the time it was posted over to you lot it works out at quite a lot of money.

I worked it all out for one of the US members who messaged me about it a while ago and it made a hell of an expensive setup by the time it was all done.

I had considered doing it for some of you lot but even without me making a penny it was a lot of cash for the end user.

This was my personal message back to him, he was asking about the optional fuel and oil nozzles which bumped the price up as well admittedly but even before the postage was worked out it was a hell of an expensive petrol can.

I just went to the local dealer yesterday (my SDS drill broke and they also sell Hitachi drills) and the price they quoted (and the Stihl listed price in the catalogue) for the can is £31.40 (That's the can with the file holder and the nozzle holder thing as well) and £15.30 for each of two filler nozzles.

That's a total of £62 plus the postage (which I don't yet know the cost of) will be on top of that.
Looking at a currency converter on the internet that's $103.25 plus the postage.
Are you still interested? Its quite a lot of cash for a petrol can and I fully understand if you don't go for it.

I won't be charging any money at all for this by the way as I will be doing most of these journeys anyway and its no bother.
If you're still interested I will get a price for the postage and tell you as soon as I know.

Regards Scott.

I use a length of starter rope, tie it on to my wedge belt and then loop the cord through the bar wrench. Keep it in my wedge pouch, but with it tied on, you never lose one in the salal brush!

Unfortunately not, they are quite expensive over here and by the time it was posted over to you lot it works out at quite a lot of money.

I worked it all out for one of the US members who messaged me about it a while ago and it made a hell of an expensive setup by the time it was all done.

I had considered doing it for some of you lot but even without me making a penny it was a lot of cash for the end user.

This was my personal message back to him, he was asking about the optional fuel and oil nozzles which bumped the price up as well admittedly but even before the postage was worked out it was a hell of an expensive petrol can.

WOW! They sure are proud of them cans!! I didn't think they'd want so much for them. . . Oh well.

WOW! They sure are proud of them cans!! I didn't think they'd want so much for them. . . Oh well.

I think the problem is that generally all our chainsaw (and motorcycle parts come to thinking about it) kit just costs a lot over here.
Usually if its for sale in the US for a hundred dollars, its on sale in the UK for a hundred pounds.
That sounds OK till you work out the exchange rate which at the moment is something like a dollar sixty to the pound.

That's also why I buy quite a lot of my KX500 motorcycle parts from the US as that way it works out in my favour. Well that and the fact that you lot still race them and there's better parts made in the US for them anyway.

I use a length of starter rope, tie it on to my wedge belt and then loop the cord through the bar wrench. Keep it in my wedge pouch, but with it tied on, you never lose one in the salal brush!

. This is the exact method I use also when I,m cutting in S.E/ Coast .or thinning trees ... ... I found here in the Interior that the starter rope will freeze to stuff and it just wasn,t working out ...plus I poked the snow machine / skidder seat :censored::censored: The FSS chaps , I can,t get my hand in and the snap doesn,t stay snapped sometimes ..The side pocket works well , till you wear a pair of Frisco's to work ....I like Frisco's .. 50/50 Ben Davis ...
.I prefer the long shaft Husky short head bar wrench ..nice and balanced and easier on my hands ..... I'll have to make something up and post a pic .. One more reason to buy a new camera ....
Cody , where did you put the holes in your spenders for carring your wrench ...???

. This is the exact method I use also when I,m cutting in S.E/ Coast .or thinning trees ... ... I found here in the Interior that the starter rope will freeze to stuff and it just wasn,t working out ...plus I poked the snow machine / skidder seat :censored::censored: The FSS chaps , I can,t get my hand in and the snap doesn,t stay snapped sometimes ..The side pocket works well , till you wear a pair of Frisco's to work ....I like Frisco's .. 50/50 Ben Davis ...
.I prefer the long shaft Husky short head bar wrench ..nice and balanced and easier on my hands ..... I'll have to make something up and post a pic .. One more reason to buy a new camera ....
Cody , where did you put the holes in your spenders for carring your wrench ...???

I never thought of the freezing aspect, makes sense! I hear you on the ripped seat too. I did a short stint on some bug kill, we had to use snow mobiles for access and at the end of the day, swung my leg over the seat, but not high enough! I was wearing corks........ I'm sure you can see the mental image!

I have only kut the seat on my Polaris 4 Wheeler / Summer Skidder . 1 time with my corks .........That is like a record of some type I,m sure , considering the # of times I,ve been on and off it with corks on .. I don,t wear corks alot in the winter as the Hoffman felt lined corks I have freeze my feet @ colder than -5 F . The normal warm temp here .. We had a heat wave yesterday , it got up to 12 above .warmest it,s been in 2 months ..

Tramp,
Notice my bar wrench on my right suspender strap. This method is simple...just use your bar wrench, and stab it through your strap (preferably while you are NOT wearin em...don't ask me how I know?) anyhow, stab it through, and an inch or two below there stab it back through from the backside. Works fairly well...seems like I lost one once? I picked this method up from one of my friends who was an excellent timber faller. My biggest worry was that I would take a spill/pile up, in the woods and I would stab myself with it, but...I took a few spills and never stabbed myself :clap: Sometimes it would hook my arm, and put a little sissy scratch on it but, hey, we're Timber Fallers right!

100_0829.jpg

i have always pit them in my back pocket. have lost 2 of them due to the pockets on certain pairs of trousers being worn out, but if the pocket is sound, the wrench stays put..

Pack Shack bar cover

I put the wrench (spray painted orange) in the pouch of my Pack Shack bar cover, next to a screwdriver and sparkplug. Velcro flap keep it all tight.

I would not recommend anyone to carry there scrench in the pocket or any place were it can puncture your body, you got some major vessels in your legs that will bleed you out in no time if punctured !!!

bar wrench storage

I slip my bar wrench into the lower side pocket of my riggin pants screwdriver end up,below and near where some pants have a hammer loop. I save my back pockets 1 for wedges, and one for my can of chew. I can't stand anything in my front pockets, and it sounds like a good way to castorate youre'self.

I would not recommend anyone to carry there scrench in the pocket or any place were it can puncture your body, you got some major vessels in your legs that will bleed you out in no time if punctured !!!

Thanks Kipp but it's our risk to take. Back on topic...I don't usually carry the scrench. It stays in a little pouch with my spare chains wired onto the rope that holds my gypo jugs. They're never very far away.

The suspender trick is a good one, though.

Last edited:

Between my ax my square chisel and my razor that some ppl call a pocket knife, my saw wrench is not that fearful of a thing. Heck the stobs, pigs ears and brush are more of a danger.
I carry mine in my side pocket along side my thigh. It lays flat and has never stabbed me and I have never lost from there. Most of the time I get saw dust packed in to it and it has to be worked out.
I like the suspender trick. I think I will be poking some holes tomorrow just to check it out.

Back