Bet you never hit this inside of a log!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibikedad

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just received a tri-ax load of oak wood last week, and was cutting through the base of a 5 foot in diameter log, when suddenly I saw sparks and the saw stopped cutting. I immediately pulled the saw out, and to my horror, realized that I had sheared EVERY tooth but 1 off the entire chain! I couldn't see the object inside, but I knew it had to be hard and large. :cry:

Since I was afraid to lose another chain, I used a splitter to hack around the object, and I found a complete horse shoe, and a red brick! The horse shoe had a big cut in it (from my saw), and the brick was shaved off in one place (again from my chain). The horse shoe and brick seemed to be at the crotch of the tree (probably 50 years ago), since the tree had completely grown around the 2 objects. We estimated that the tree was about 70 years old.

Tomorrow, I will post pictures of the chain (what's left of it) and the horse shoe still embedded in the wood. It is too dark to take pictures now.

There is a mill close to me that uses metal detectors across timber. If it picks up to much they won't mill them and they can be picked up for very cheap. I guess that's the trade off though. Who knows, might find pirate booty in one.;)

hit a hoseshoe in a maple about 25 years ago. almost in the middle of a 24" trunk about 5' up. yes; it has happened before:cry:

Horseshoe I have seen, brick I have not. Sawmill near me was running a high speed bandsaw mill they had just installed about 6 months prior to finding the shoe. They hit the shoe end on and it shattered the bandsaw blade. The pieces flew everywhere and chewed up lot of the hydraulic lines and caused a lot of damage. Photos they had of the damage were scary. They put in two metal detectors after that.

The worst thing I,ve ever hit was a giant staple. It was in a Maple tree in a hedgrow,, maybe from and old fence or something. The worst part was it messed up a brand new chain.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Wow. A brick... that's unexpected. The only thing I ever hit, fortunately not too often if I'm careful, is buried barbed wire. Which can do a number a chain itself. I'm sure using trees as fenceposts seemed like a great idea when the fences were being raised. Not so much when you're trimming fencelines 40 years later.

I just received a tri-ax load of oak wood last week, and was cutting through the base of a 5 foot in diameter log, when suddenly I saw sparks and the saw stopped cutting. I immediately pulled the saw out, and to my horror, realized that I had sheared EVERY tooth but 1 off the entire chain! I couldn't see the object inside, but I knew it had to be hard and large. :cry:

Since I was afraid to lose another chain, I used a splitter to hack around the object, and I found a complete horse shoe, and a red brick! The horse shoe had a big cut in it (from my saw), and the brick was shaved off in one place (again from my chain). The horse shoe and brick seemed to be at the crotch of the tree (probably 50 years ago), since the tree had completely grown around the 2 objects. We estimated that the tree was about 70 years old.

Tomorrow, I will post pictures of the chain (what's left of it) and the horse shoe still embedded in the wood. It is too dark to take pictures now.
yes all of the above and more its comes with the job tom trees

I got into a 3/4" lag bolt about 15' up in the middle of a locust last year.
Found out later that the tree had a cross bar bolted to it in the 50's for electric wires feeding a barn.

ive hit cement and bricks. the tree cavity back in the day was filled up ( city tree ) and grew around it so you could not see anything. 2 chains later cutting around the object we used the log loader to pick up and drop over and over till it snapped. when it snapped thats when we knew what was inside.

Yup...chainsaw found a horseshoe. Luckily I felt it right away and was able to save the chain. I was cutting at half throttle at the time. Bricks are a new one...hard to figure how one of them got in a tree?

One poster here recovered a civil war era rifle in a tree ...if I'm remembering correctly.

Don't have a picture of it but last year I was cutting a tree approx. 16" in dai. and I cut into a pipe wrench that had been left in the forks. It had completely gown around the wrench and I took the teeth right off the chain.

Hit lots of stuff, but never a brick, lol. But a horseshoe will toast a chain pretty quick, and I've hit lots of those.

I pulled into a sawmill a few years ago back in CNY. I knew the owner well and I was looking for a big cherry log to get custom sawed. I spotted one off to the side that was right up my alley and it was ~4' on the butt and 16' long and looked pretty darn clear on the faces. I was all excited until I looked at the butt and it was deep purple from all the metal in it.

My brother told me they brought in a Timberwolf big log splitter to open that thing up in 8' logs and he said the center of the butt 8' log was filled with all manner of stuff that had been nailed to the tree and the tree had grown over it. Liscense plates, horseshoes, tools, etc. They had no idea why someone picked a tree in the middle of the woods to do that to. :dizzy:

They did salvage the top log because once the butt was cut off the top 8' was good.

I too buy some of my fire wood by the tri-axle load. My favorite logger friend brings his tri axle with a knuckleboom and unloads log length pieces of hardwood, mostly oak and hickory, right beside my shed. A load will usually split and stack up to about 4.5 to 5 chords 128 cubic ft/chord. Easiest and cheapest wood I can score... Just wondering what a load of hardwood that size, delivered, would cost in your neck of the woods. ???? Just curious...

Back