Bidding problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfking42084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm having trouble coming up with a bid for my wifes great uncle. He wants 18 hemlock trees cut limbed and anything that will make a saw log, skidded out . Half of them will need for me and another climber I hire sometimes to limb them and top them out at 10" diameter. The other half can be pulled in various directions. He wants the brush left laying and the logs skidded about 150yds. There is one 36"dbh hemlock but most are in the 20-24"dbh range. I'm feeling guilty since the owner is family, but at the same time, I have to be profitible. Any ideas? thanks logan

Thats a tough one pardner. I would try to figure out how much you can do it and still make a little profit, and then tell them to put it off til winter when you are not as busy, otherwise you can't be not working on a typical job where you gave your usual bid, to work on one where you are trying to help someone out, and not making much. Guess it depends on your relationship with her uncle. Good luck.:)

Cody

Even if you don't make profit, figure your costs and cover them. (all costs, gasoline, insurance, any business expenses, labor, etc.. what it costs to run business before profit - include some fair hourly wage for yourself as well). It will likely be lower than normal rate for sure, but you still need to re-coop your expenses, explain this to them and I am sure they will understand.

Stick it to him good.

Just kidding, I'd figure the deal as usual and bust your profit in half if you want or something. If he gripes, explain that he's getting the friends and family discount.

I did one for my uncle about 10 years ago. I cleaned up several pines for him and took down one. Gave him a full day's work and charged him $700. It was just me though and I left everything there.

I have done some pro bono work for my Dad the past two years as well. He pays my help's wages, buy my gas and oil and covers my costs. Don't forget to figure in a new chain.

Thanks guys. The guy really doesnt realize how much brush is going to come out of 18 hemlocks. I'm figuring on topping 7 of them I think and the rest I can just base cut. Skidding them out with my deere won't be a problem I dont think either. I'm figuring 3 full days to get them all out.

tell him you will beat any written estimate

I was going to mention to give him an estimate, but getting one or two from another party would be a great idea.. then you can demonstrate to him the savings.. and that you really are only covering costs. Folks have hard time believing the costs involved, and think you can do this work for not much more than the price of gas and a burger.

I was going to mention to give him an estimate, but getting one or two from another party would be a great idea.. then you can demonstrate to him the savings.. and that you really are only covering costs. Folks have hard time believing the costs involved, and think you can do this work for not much more than the price of gas and a burger.

:agree2:

I think it's wrong to have a company come out and give you an estimate if you know your not going to use them. Its a waste of their time. I'd ask them for an estimate, explain the situation and pay them $40 or $50 for their time. Just my opinion..... Mike

I think it's wrong to have a company come out and give you an estimate if you know your not going to use them. Its a waste of their time. I'd ask them for an estimate, explain the situation and pay them $40 or $50 for their time. Just my opinion..... Mike

taking advantage of your competition? what do you mean? thats a freakin awesome idea. i'm going to start sending some of the companies around here on wild goose chases now that i think about it.

I agree too.

I don't see anything wrong with getting an estimate from another company. Then the uncle will know the value of the work to be done. My daughter is having me take down a tree for her and I said only if she shows me two other estimates. Pete

Ask him to get a couple of estimates and tell him you will do it for a little less than the cheapest qoute.

You gain a little bit of knowledge about your competition and the property owner sees the value in what you are doing for him.

I'd get at least a couple estimates from some good local companies too.
You never know, you might not be able to beat their bid and still make money or cover your expenses. If it turns out they're willing to do it really cheap why would you want to beat their price if you're going to lose money?
At least he would get a good job from a reputable company and you'd be helping him make a good decision if you can't beat them.

You should know if you give him a real good price you will drop your 200t from 60 feet and destory it, the skidder will blow a hydraulic line, and you will back into a pole going to get a replacment hydro line. Just kidding, cover costs and add 25% you are doing a good deed and not loosing your a$#.

I'd get at least a couple estimates from some good local companies too.
You never know, you might not be able to beat their bid and still make money or cover your expenses. If it turns out they're willing to do it really cheap why would you want to beat their price if you're going to lose money?
At least he would get a good job from a reputable company and you'd be helping him make a good decision if you can't beat them.

Yes! In fact, do your damndest to find someone who can do it cheaper than you are willing to do it for. If they screw up the job, they won't be hearing about it for the next 25 years at family reunions.

You can't win a "done for the in-laws" bid situation. Either it's done poorly in some way, not worth what they spent, or you wanted too much money. I prefer to find someone else and advise the relative that this guy is better than me and cheaper too. "I'm glad I could help you out."

Latest posts

Back