Bidding problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working for the family is always a tough situation. I agree that having someone elses bid on the table will help your uncle in law see the value in having you there. As you already know it will take you 3 days for the job, why not have your relatives call 2 or 3 local companies and ask them for their day rate with a crew of similar size. Then you are not wasting some other poor guys time to quote and you have a bench mark to work from. At the end of the day, when family asks you to do a job it is almost always because they want it done on the cheap. Imo charging 20% below market rate is good for them and prevents you from committing financial suicide.

thanks for all of the replies guys. It's just tough knowing what I would make off of the job if it was for anyone besides family. I've done jobs for other family members many times, but nothing to this size. I consider this a logging job and don't do too many of those. I'm going to feel like the climbers off of heli-loggers!

I don't think "family" has a right to expect a discount. 20% of a $5000 job would be $1000.00!

Uncle Joe calls you up, and says "Say!, I've got a big job I need done to my house. Can you give me a thousand bucks to help get it done?"

Of course you would say no, or at least ask them why. Any family member that expects a discount on a big job is unfairly asking for a sacrifice from you, just to benefit them. It would be different if you are in a regular exchange of services, or that person has done big favors for you in the past.

Asking you to work for less than you are worth is just the same as asking you to give them money.

Thats very true too. I'm not sure he will be a regular since he hasn't in the past, but who knows. I'm just thankful with this job, that I dont have to get rid of the brush.

I don't think "family" has a right to expect a discount. 20% of a $5000 job would be $1000.00!

Uncle Joe calls you up, and says "Say!, I've got a big job I need done to my house. Can you give me a thousand bucks to help get it done?"

Of course you would say no, or at least ask them why. Any family member that expects a discount on a big job is unfairly asking for a sacrifice from you, just to benefit them. It would be different if you are in a regular exchange of services, or that person has done big favors for you in the past.

Asking you to work for less than you are worth is just the same as asking you to give them money.

You tightwad!

Actually, in this instance you are giving them time. This time COULD be exchanged for money but it is not the same as money. Family is important. You get to choose exactly how important.

Amen

I think it's wrong to have a company come out and give you an estimate if you know your not going to use them. Its a waste of their time. I'd ask them for an estimate, explain the situation and pay them $40 or $50 for their time. Just my opinion..... Mike

i could't agree with this post more.

unless it 's a hack or someone that has screwed you.

I am looking forward to the job, since it is right on a river and I can fly fish after I eat a sandwich for lunch! I will be skidding the 20' logs with a john deere tractor and cutting with the 200t, 460 and 084.

I did a rush job for my girlfriend's father a few years ago. 6 acres cleared for a building lot on the side of a mountain. Needed it done in two days. He supplied an excavator and dozer, and hauled out the timber, stumpage, and slash chips on his trucks. I told him a thousand bucks per day to cover my saw gas and payroll. Got it done. I kept the timber, very few saw logs, mostly firewood.

He complained to me afterwards that the two grand it cost him was too steep... No good deed goes unpunished.

I definately think you should get a couple of quotes before you proceed. Atleast you will have a ballpark price to provide to your relative, and he can see the value in your price. Leave yourself enough to make a small profit too.

my two cents.

T

Yes! In fact, do your damndest to find someone who can do it cheaper than you are willing to do it for. If they screw up the job, they won't be hearing about it for the next 25 years at family reunions.

QUOTE]

Note I did say "good local companies", an easy out of you don't want to have any hard feelings. Just tell them the other companies are giving a good price and you can't beat them or if you want to chance working for relatives or friends beat the price by a little bit or match it.

I'm giving up on working for friends, last one left a bad taste after buttering me up and giving them a big discount, even though a small job. Neighbors will get the treatment above, close blood relatives still get a deal if they're on my good side, otherwise they get nothing.:chainsaw:

Well...I would never send a bad company to do the work, even if they were cheaper. Unless of course, I advised the relative that they needed to be careful.

"Why don't you pay me a little bit more to get a good job, and I will guarantee you are happy with the results. I can't afford to do it on the cheap and have you mad at me for the next 25 years."

Here is what you should do

Figure out what you would charge him if he was just another regular customer, then give him a good discount (maybe around 20-25%) if he pays you cash for the job. That way he saves money and you are happy to work for a bit less if it for cash. Just make sure your discount isn't too much because it would not be fair to you to take on a big job and not make some money. After all, it is your livelihood and his job will take you away from doing other work at your regular rate. Explain to him exactly how you are comming up with the price for his job. I'm sure your uncle does not want you to take a loss on his job. How does that sound?

I wrote him the estimate yesterday and thats exactly what I did. Figured out my normal price and gave him 20% off. He has some metal I would like to have to build my old man a wood splitter, so maybe I can bum some of that. Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Back