Big egos and small minds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang guys lighten up a little. AA, if it works for you use it. You dont have to justify it to anybody, nor do you have to respond to everyone who downs you. You leave yourself wide open to criticism with your remarks. All this bickering takes away from the site in my opinion. I was drawn in once, from now on just gonna try to ignore it or stay off of here.

bickering

An argument/fight needs at least two participants. If you do not like someones opinion or response, walk away, or the cyber equivalent. Don't take it personally and remember all it takes is a key board to qualify to be in this forum.

... I'm probably as guilty as any of having a big ego, but I figure at my age, and with my Life experiences I've earned it. Small minds though often try to inflate their own egos by trying to deflate others.

I suppose I should have prefaced this thread with a definition: When I referred to "big egos", I was intending to refer to Egotism. I was intending to mean "characterized by an exaggerated estimate of one's intellect, ability, importance, appearance, wit, or other valued personal characteristics"[1] – the drive to maintain and enhance favorable views of oneself.

"In egotism we find the person filled with an overweening sense of the importance and qualities of his personality...the things of the 'Me'".[2] Egotism means placing oneself at the center of one's world with no concern for others"
(Blatantly stolen from Wikipedia)

Under my intended usage of "big egos", there is no allowance for having earned the right to have an inflated sense of self worth. My personal opinion on this topic is that if your comments in this forum do not inspire the accolades of your peers, then you are sadly mistaken about your self-image.

So many of the flame-war problems are caused by someone beating their own chest too flagrantly, and then someone else doing their damnedest to knock them down. Both of these behaviors are driven not by a genuine feeling of self worth; rather, they are cries for attention that attempt to feed a fragile ego.

I genuinely enjoy the positive feedback that I get from this forum; to that extent I also get ego reinforcement. Far be it from me to discourage folks from seeking praise for their efforts in life.

I do my best to gather positive comments by showing my best effort to contribute to the forum, and I try not to be negative. It just gathers more negativity; this drives a person with a fragile ego to boast more, the community piles on additional negative feedback, and the vicious cycle spirals another thread into pointlessness.

Don't you guys see this pattern?

The clone you are looking for is the Ventrac, ...

Yes, I was indeed looking at the Ventrac. My contract has not yet come in, but I think I cannot justify the expense. Just out of curiosity, how much trouble would it be to make an adapter onto the end of the Steiner loader, and then use universal mini-skid attachments?

So far, I have done that for both a Ford and a John Deere tractor.

An argument/fight needs at least two participants. If you do not like someones opinion or response, walk away, or the cyber equivalent. Don't take it personally and remember all it takes is a key board to qualify to be in this forum.

I agree. Just like I was when Marquis Tree called me a troll and other stuff. I was mellow.
Jeff

With my ramps I just drive it into the dump truck ...

... Yes, I was indeed looking at the Ventrac... Just out of curiosity, how much trouble would it be to make an adapter onto the end of the Steiner loader, and then use universal mini-skid attachments? ...

Steiner offers this attachment:

73-70412
PT420
3-Point Hitch/Category "O"

I'm not sure if that would give you the ability to use any "universal" attachments designed for a three point hitch, but it may. Modifying the loader (are you thinking grapple here?) is most likely possible but that's way out of my expertise.

I bought the two Magliner ramps to accomplish "loading" my dump with the tractor as well as to get the tractor up and over retaining walls when needed. Probably the best solution is to add a dedicated loader like a dingo or something similar and use the tractor to forward the material to it. I did this with the Bobcat shown in one of my videos when the Bobcat started tearing up the yard and causing big ruts in the turf.

[video=youtube;Ngj_06h5LCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngj_06h5LCI[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. I didn't realize how limited the loader was. It sure does have a big footprint, though.

You should look into spending the big bucks on a bigger machine. That is a nice little machine for hills and soft ground, but it is too handicapped. Look at Swinger or Bobcat A300 for something with a whole lot more capacity that doesn't tear up the ground too.

Swinger loader Sales : Swinger of Michigan, LLC - Swinger loaders :: Home

There is a FEL attachment for the Steiner ...

Thanks for the video. I didn't realize how limited the loader was. It sure does have a big footprint, though.

My Steiner has the "Slip Scoop" which is limited, but a lot less money than the FEL:

[video=youtube;tdzyIIodKco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdzyIIodKco&feature=player_embedded[/video]

You should look into spending the big bucks on a bigger machine. That is a nice little machine for hills and soft ground, but it is too handicapped. Look at Swinger or Bobcat A300 for something with a whole lot more capacity that doesn't tear up the ground too.

Swinger loader Sales : Swinger of Michigan, LLC - Swinger loaders :: Home

The Swinger looks good, I'm also looking at Avanti wheel loaders. Bobcat and Kubota make articulated wheel loaders as well. The A300 you mention has all wheel steering which is almost as good. Looking is the active word here though, it will at least be next year before I consider much more in capitol expenditures.

Last edited:
The A300 is better than all the rest. Flip a switch, and it goes back to being a skid steer.

It has a very small footprint for it's capacity, so it goes more places than an articulated loader of similar weight & capacity. It is also quite a bit too large for many jobs, so it isn't for everybody.

Only the "skid-steer" machines seem to have standardized implements that can be attached, so you have many more choices when it comes to attachments. Even the "integrated tool carriers" from folks like Caterpillar have proprietary attachments, so you are stuck with what they offer.

...and as we all know, skid-steer tears up yards.

Last edited:
When I said "almost as good" I meant for me ...

The A300 is better than all the rest. Flip a switch, and it goes back to being a skid steer.

It has a very small footprint for it's capacity, so it goes more places than an articulated loader of similar weight & capacity. It is also quite a bit too large for many jobs, so it isn't for everybody.

Yeah the A300 is the best of both Worlds, a skid steer and a wheel loader, but a mini wheel loader like the Swinger or the Avanti would suit my business needs the best.

See McPherson, my clients don't need to know much except other customers impressions of my work. If it's a dangerous tree they want removed and I do it with no damage or injuries they like it. Likewise if they want a tree pruned and I do it making proper cuts and the result is pleasing to them as well as healthy for the tree, then what's not to like?

I'm hardly a "Bubba" as you would like to paint me. The scent you detect is the malignant odor of your own fear, just what you fear from me is unclear, I'm an old dude in a young man's game, and I'm sure I get more for my work than you do for your's, so I'm not lowballing any tree firm by working cheap. I'm a premium tree service and I charge more because my reputation for quality work precedes me.

It seems that you are joining treeMDS in having some sort of a death wish for me. Do I make you that uncomfortable? Do you think you really would be better off with me dead? That I continue to live and post here must be very inconvenient for you, but sorry I can't help you with that.

If you read the post you would see that we were talking about FTA, or at least I was.

I would like this industry to create less cripples and death notices. Its hard enough without seeing your peers one by one get taken out due to injuries, without seeing accidents waiting to happen get pasted or spectacularly smash there way out of the industry within a few years of starting up.
This game is dangerous, learning from your own mistakes is a risk I would want any honest hard working guy undertake because the risks are often "unseen" and life changing. And worse when they take the lives of others.

I do bust balls about bubbas, but bubbas hurt and kill alot more people and property than the trained guys. They dont know enough to know they REALLY dont know enough, and the guys who work for them are really under the gun. A bubbas worker was killed here 6 months ago.

Again my post wasnt directed at you, but the gist of what I am saying can be applied to alot of situations. If your serious about treework and am looking at hiring people or having people work in your work zone, its YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to REALLY know what your doing, and self taught all to often just doesnt cut it. Somebody else shouldnt have to pay for your arrogance and ignorance. The training is out there and available, you can work for a reputable company and learn a decades worth of things in 6 months. Or you can be the next accident waiting to happen for some poor worker who, like you, is just trying to get ahead.

I'm a lot of things, but a "Bubba" is not one of them ...

... Or you can be the next accident waiting to happen for some poor worker who, like you, is just trying to get ahead.

I'm about the fastest thing from being a "bubba" that you could imagine and I was reacting to that. Sorry I lumped you in with treeMDS, you don't deserve that association. Your post above makes a lot of sense and I couldn't agree more. I have worked for three other tree services and it was the disregard for safety and low quality of the staff that made me decide to go on my own. There is no one more concerned about safe operation than myself and I always put the welfare of those working with me as priority one.

I learned a lot in my time at other tree service companies and I was indeed fortunate to have an excellent, if old school, climber to show me many things about tree work that I use every day. I have advanced myself, especially gear wise, since that time and the work I have done in the four years since starting Aerial Arborist Tree Service has been an accelerated course in tree work. I still have much to learn and it's my hope that my presence here will be rewarded with good information that can help me run a safer, more profitable business.

Again my apologies for putting you in the same post as treeMDS.

Just checking in to see how the "big minds and small egos", thread is coming along... lmao,, hahaha! ..do carry on though Old Chaps!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Oldirty for Moderator!!!

Edit: unless someone else can finally do the deed!!

I'm about the fastest thing from being a "bubba" that you could imagine and I was reacting to that. Sorry I lumped you in with treeMDS, you don't deserve that association. Your post above makes a lot of sense and I couldn't agree more. I have worked for three other tree services and it was the disregard for safety and low quality of the staff that made me decide to go on my own. There is no one more concerned about safe operation than myself and I always put the welfare of those working with me as priority one.

I learned a lot in my time at other tree service companies and I was indeed fortunate to have an excellent, if old school, climber to show me many things about tree work that I use every day. I have advanced myself, especially gear wise, since that time and the work I have done in the four years since starting Aerial Arborist Tree Service has been an accelerated course in tree work. I still have much to learn and it's my hope that my presence here will be rewarded with good information that can help me run a safer, more profitable business.

Again my apologies for putting you in the same post as treeMDS.

How about you don't mention my name in your posts either, old man!

You wouldn't know "old school", if it was dunking your old ass head in the toilet.. just like the boys did to you back in grammer school!!!

Fake ass, done for old RELIC!

Bann my ass, I'm just about done listening to this crap anyway!!!!

Last edited:
How about you don't mention my name in your posts either, old man!

You wouldn't know "old school", if it was dunking your old ass head in the toilet.. just like the boys did to you back in grammer school!!!

Fake ass, done for old RELIC!

Bann my ass, I'm just about done listening to this crap anyway!!!!

So like fatal, BRO :clap:

Mr. Aerial Arborist, i know i've bust on you, but being serious, i'm rather surprised by the line, "I have advanced myself, especially gear wise. Gear does not a great climber make. I wonder if you are falling into a trap i've seen many times-buying the latest and greatest gear in hopes that it will cover up shortcomings in technique. In my fifteen years, yeah, i've advanced quite a bit in gear, but i take most pride in the fact that i've advanced most in technique, skill, ability, experience. These are more valuable to me and most other real climbers i know personally than the newest fad in gear. But you make it sound like the gear is the most valuable thing you've acquired in the last four? years. Are your priorities skewed? I've seen videos and pics about your steiner, your ramps, your crew, your truck, but very little about actual skills or techniques. Vertical speed line, one time is the only one i can think of off the top of the head.
And that's what i'm trying to get at-four years you've owned a tree business, you've worked for tree companies, and yet you've heard of a vertical speed line for the first time just recently? How is this even possible, the technique has been around, it's not even a hard idea to come up with on your own. It's actually something i expect a one year climber to at least know about and understand the concept.
Sorry AA, i'm really not picking on you this time, i'm just trying to get my mind around why you are the way you are. Toys have a higher priority than actual learning for you is what i've been forced to come up with.
And it's not like it's difficult to learn new techniques on this job if someone is really serious about it. I'm not even talking about the internet. I've pulled over on the side of the road when i see a crew working and even if i'm not allowed on the jobsite, i'll sit and watch and talk with the climber when he's done. Look what you learned from matt, why has it taken you four or more years to get to this point?

I do agree with mds on this, you don't look like you were taught by an old school climber, i know what their products look like and the tendencies they have. You look like someone who saw a guy do it on tv, read the tree climbers companion, ran out and bought the gear, and are self taught. You do things an old school teacher would ream you for. I'm more old school than many, remember the stub thing-where do you think i got that from? But not that there is anything wrong with self-taught, i know several excellent self-taught climbers, and i agree with what i've seen you say here before about how easy tree work actually is. The theory is easy, the job can be done by even a mental midget if he can stand up to the physical aspect of it, but getting it done smooth and safe (the parts that you are lacking and need polish on), that is not so easy. But after your ways on here, is there anyone who is willing to help polish your basics?

The thread is devolving again boys ! It's not really helpful nor entertaining to watch you guys slug it out.

Why don't you just send a private message to the guys you dislike; then the rest of us won't know all about your bickering fights.

That's ok. I'm cool with that.

AA! Do you see how a minor disagreement can be settled? tree MDS just tells me what he thinks about my post, and I don't get too excited.

If he chose to say all kinds of unkind things about me, then I would feel obliged to ignore him. As it stands, I kinda liked the sarcasm/wit behind it.

That's ok. I'm cool with that.

AA! Do you see how a minor disagreement can be settled? tree MDS just tells me what he thinks about my post, and I don't get too excited.

If he chose to say all kinds of unkind things about me, then I would feel obliged to ignore him. As it stands, I kinda liked the sarcasm/wit behind it.

Don't forget me 'fancy pant's', BTW, your shoe's are ugly! :laugh::laugh:
Jeff

good thread... or shall I say good attempt as some dive back into a slugfest.

seems lately it's all about who can insult who the most...
slam one's choice of gear or lack of ... personal slams about family are the worst!

Latest posts

Back