big saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
194147d1313194855-006-jpg

Nice saw.:msp_thumbup:

Just to make some people jealous.

I finished last week rebuilding my SD 166. with everything new accept the frame it was a hell of a search but I got it.
Its a monster of a chainsaw that don't stop pulling. its amazing.
View attachment 310418View attachment 310419View attachment 310420View attachment 310421View attachment 310422

Gr Luc

Glad to see you got her up and running.
Looks great.
I feel every 166 is worth saving. It just
sucks that parts are so hard to find.

Uncle Lee

Glad to see you got her up and running.
Looks great.
I feel every 166 is worth saving. It just
sucks that parts are so hard to find.

Uncle Lee

I was looking at specs for those saws, 118cc? For some reason I thought they were much much larger. Are they really that strong compared to other similar sized saws?

I run a 36" Speed Mac bar original 797 I put the thin rings in her for a little more RPM vintage cutting at the mill pile is the best. 1-52,1-85 and my Homelite 2100-S...three tanks one each one and I'm done these days at 55:clap::clap:

...I did run Farley9n's 143 at his GTG and I'll have one or build him a 797 in fodder:clap:

I was looking at specs for those saws, 118cc? For some reason I thought they were much much larger. Are they really that strong compared to other similar sized saws?

Stock for stock a 166 is very hard to beat. They have
tons of torque with there long stroke. They don't rev
as high as a modern big inch saw but they can get the
job done. A really fun saw to run.

Uncle Lee

Olympyk 999, just ridiculous power. Poulan 655BP, probably the lightest 6 cube saw I've ever run. 394/5 for everyday work.

Blah blah blah
If you want a true big inch saw experience and not spend big money, find a vintage North American chainsaw. There are many out there, not the relic class 1950s boat anchors, look for mid 1960s through the '70s. You don't need an SP125, there are many other less expensive models.

550, 99cc

790, 103cc

Back