Big Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trucks'N Saws

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've wanted to buy a bigger saw for a while, but the saws I have do what I want just fine so I can't justify buying a new saw. So I'm looking at some good used stuff, I'm partial to Stihl but I've had a lot of different brands and since I don't need another saw I'll buy whatever deal presents itself regardless of what color it's painted.

I'm looking at getting an 064/066 or 084/088. What are the major differences between the older saws and the newer ones and are there any models/years that I should stay away from? What is a reasonable price for good used saws in this size? I know it's hard to nail it down, but ball park figures would be fine. Thanks for the help.

used saw

stay away from old l saws with out chain brake systems.:biggrinbounce2:

I'd say you would do well with any 084 or 088 if you pick one that's in healthy condition, you'll spend probably 700-1000 bucks on one nicely equipped on ebay...if you can get one locally you might make a better deal

Trade?

Stop into your local dealer too. They usually have nicer used saws at the stihl shop I go to.

I've heard of people trading in their older saws for newer and stronger too. Might be an option for ya.

Where're ya at in WA? just curious.

I'm no expert but, I believe you would be far better served with the 066/MS660. I don't own one but I do an 088. Unless you are going to mill with it, cut Douglas Fir or your 7'-6" and weigh 350lbs and want to use it to buck firewood. Go with the 066/MS660.:hmm3grin2orange:
Jay

Last edited:
Livewire, I was at one saw shop this weekend, and I do stop and look once in a while but haven't seen much in the way of used equipment at all and no larger saws. I'm usually in the King/Peirce County areas, which is probably a good reason for the lack of larger saws in the shops around here.

Bigbore, I don't much care about weight as I have all the time I need to the timber projects I start, so if I get tired I'll just switch to a smaller saw for a while. I have have 3 acres that are nothing but Doug Fir and I do intend to mill at some point.

I'm leaning toward the 084/088 just because of my 056. I believe that the 056 is similar in size to a 650 and a 650 is only a bit smaller than a 066. At this point I'm trying to find out mostly if there are some models to avoid or are more desirable. Thanks for the info.

Timberrat, my 056 doesn't have a chain brake and it does just fine. Safety devices take all the excitement right out of something :chainsaw:

In that case go for the 088/MS880! I use mine mostly on big Oak, some over 48". There is nothing like it if thats your case. However, that's the only big saw I can actually comment on as I have never run anything else in the 120cc class. Also, same here, when it gets heavy I just pick up a smaller saw. Now that I understand your needs the big saw makes perfect sense.
Sorry I didn't pay better attention, Jay.

Bigbore, I don't much care about weight as I have all the time I need to the timber projects I start, so if I get tired I'll just switch to a smaller saw for a while. I have have 3 acres that are nothing but Doug Fir and I do intend to mill at some point.

I'm leaning toward the 084/088 just because of my 056. I believe that the 056 is similar in size to a 650 and a 650 is only a bit smaller than a 066. At this point I'm trying to find out mostly if there are some models to avoid or are more desirable. Thanks for the info.

Timberrat, my 056 doesn't have a chain brake and it does just fine. Safety devices take all the excitement right out of something :chainsaw:

I'd still rather go with an 066 over an 088. 88's are fun, and "cool," but parts are more expensive, less common amongst other saws, take a different bar mount, and weigh a friggin' ton. Lug one around for a bit, and you will be wishing for an 066. An 066 will mill for you, it'll work timber with a 36" or even 42" bar. Unless you regularly want to run a 6' bar, the 088 can be excessive. With an 066, you don't need to rest and pick up a smaller saw. You can last with it all day.

Which 056 do you have? Standard, Super, or Mag II? There's a large difference across this spread. If it's a standard, it's power to weight is way low, and as such it doesn't hold a candle to the 660 or even 650. They really aren't comparable. Until you get up to the Mag II, then they become comparable saws, the 056 still being an old torque monster.

I'd do an 066. An 066 with a dual port cover is almost 8 hp without messing with anything internal. Go with the 088, and you're paying alot for the novelty of it.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

I love my 066's and 660's. Great powerful saws without too much weight.

with that said, I have never used my newly rebuilt 084 yet. with a 36" bar on it, it weighs a ton. I will probably never use it for bucking or felling, as it will reside on a chain saw mill.

If you are carrying it, the 660/066 is a lot lighter and will have more snot than the 056 does, with less weight. But if you are used to the weight of the 056, go for the 084/088.

one thing to keep in mind, if you do plan on using it on a mill, the 084 has the manual oiler in addition to the regular clutch driven oiler. makes it nice for those big long bar cuts that need a little more oil. the 088 and 880 do not have the manual oilers...

The 056 is a Mag (not a Mag II). I can't complain too much about it, it has done everything I've wanted, although it's a bit slow going on some of the larger stuff. However I really don't get into big trees much so it's not like I need a bigger saw, I just wanted one.

Are all of the 066's similar during their production run, before they became the 660? How does the 064 compare with the 066? I can run the 056 for the majority of the day before I start to get beat up by it, so an 066 being lighter would be great.
What is a decent price for a 066? I've seen a couple around here for 550-700, which I thought was high for the condition that the saws were in and I'm in no hurry – I can wait for a good saw to come along.

Used 66 - about $400, give or take, you'll be satisfied.

I have heard that the "red light" 66s are to be avoided, not sure why tho.:fart:

I have an 084 and an 066 (at least I will when Ben gets it back to me).

Of the two, the 066 is the one that I use 99% of the time. The 066 is lighter, better balanced and less expensive to run (less fuel, bar mount common to other smaller Stihls that I have, parts are less $$ and easier to find, etc...)

I plan on using the 084 to mill lumber, but now I only use it when something big needs to be cut. Why? because it is heavy ( I'm 6'2", and can bench press 300 lbs, so I'm no toothpick) and mainly because the balance is more awkward then the 066. The 084 is great when you have both feet planted on the ground and lots of room to move, but the 066 is way better for use in less then ideal cutting positions.

I typically cut red oak up to 36" dia. (mostly 18"-24").

The 066 that I have is an older model, made in the '90's. It came with the factory dual port muffler cover.

I believe the red light 066's are early production models. The 066 became the 660 in the early '00's (I believe). The 064 is interesting, I always thought of it a large bore version of the 046, but haven't used one in a while.

If you settle on an 084, you might contact Bill G, he is a member here at AS and usually has 1 or 2 available in the $500-800 range.

Otherwise, most 084's on eBay go from $700 to crazy amounts. 880's go from $800 to even crazier amounts.

You could also post a WTB ad on the new and improved Trading Post.

FWIW,

Andy

I'm fixing the clutch on a nice 084 right now, and I know the guy would like to sell it... and it's local to you. Freight is a bi?ch on an 084...

However I really don't get into big trees much so it's not like I need a bigger saw, I just wanted one.

Bingo! You just solidified my vote for the 066. It looks like you're headed that way anyway, but guys that just want the 088 to tinker with or because they think they'll use it because it's huge and don't actually get into big wood are better off with the 660. The 088 isn't the gem you think it might be. Nice saw, just alot of caveats to it.

You don't even see 088's with professional timber fallers here. The big saw is the 660. I'm sure there's one somewhere, but my dealer has had the same one sitting on the shelf for three years now.

Jeff

The 064 is interesting, I always thought of it a large bore version of the 046, but haven't used one in a while.

Actually, it's a small bore version of the 066. Or, more correctly, the 066 is a big bore version of it. The 064 came first. Good saws, I've only run one 064 at work a little, but liked it pretty well. I've heard lots of good things about them.

I love my 660, and I loved my 066 before it. I really don't think you can go wrong with it. I throw the 42" bar on mine every now and again, and it has no problem.

I would get a strong-running 066 before I'd get an 084/088. The 066 is a much more versatile saw than the 084/088, and in real-world use you will be able to do more sorts of cutting with the 066 than the other two. And since your 056 is not a MagII, I'd still seriously consider the 066.

The big saws - 075/076/084/088/070/090 - are big. They are bulky, they are heavy, they work you hard, and they run the hard-to-find-in-a-pinch large-mount bar. You bring them out to play with them or to use them for a specific task, then you set them aside and pick up your all-around saws to do the bulk of the work. A saw like an 066 can do almost all of the "big saw" tasks and still handle the "regular saw" tasks by swapping bars.

Though the 084/088 are a little bit lighter, they're still almost as heavy as these old saws. The saw with the 25" bar weighs in at thirty pounds, and with the 41" bar you've got a hair under thirty-five pounds of saw.

Big_Stihls.jpg

As for the price of a good 066, I bought this one, recently rebuilt with only a handful of tanks through a new OEM p/c and a high-output oiler, for about $500, which I think is a fair price for a like-new saw. A solid to very-solid used saw in the 300-450 range would be a fair price, I'd think.

066_Carlton_03a.jpg

I ran an 076 for a few years when I was a teenager... I think it's still why they go numb once in awhile!:laugh:

The 066/660 is my vote too. What part of Washington are you in? There isn't a job around this state that an 066/660 couldn't handle. The 084's/088's/880's are cool as hell, and have their niche... but you'll be happier with the 066/660.

Gary

I also use my 066 for just about anything, but it sure runs out of puff above 20 inches wide when milling... Even 18 is hard on the saw...

.... I have heard that the "red light" 66s are to be avoided, not sure why tho.:fart:

Maybe because of the rev limiter, or is it actually that.....:confused: :rolleyes:

Btw, there are two different "Red lights" - the standard and the Magnum - quite big hp difference (about one full hp)......;)

Back