Big Shot mis-fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbull

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else have problems getting a successful launch with this tool? I'm using 16oz Weaver throw weights. When I get a good shot, it works great, but it seems to mis-fire a lot. I'm sure it's technique, so are there any tips out there?

The bag seems like it gets caught up on the way out of the pouch resulting in a "mis-fire". Just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

sounds to me like the bag gets caught up on the way out of the pouch resulting in a mis-fire
i think thats whatyou're doing wrong. hope ive been of some help!

I use a twelve ounce bag. And I still suck, just not as much. My dealer told me most people don't use anything over 11 oz. Buuuut, where you're at Redbull it might be a whole different story...here in Colorado the trees are much smaller. Thinner air too.LOL. 1/3 less oxygen.

I have it positioned correctly, with the pouch on the bottom side of the pole when firing, just like the directions say. We don't have too many big trees here either. 60' will get me tied into pretty much anything I work on. I've tried positioning the bag differently in the pouch, but haven't found that sweet spot yet. I'd hate to have to use a smaller weight, I got a whole case of 16oz bags for free.

Redbull said:
I have it positioned correctly, with the pouch on the bottom side of the pole when firing, just like the directions say. We don't have too many big trees here either. 60' will get me tied into pretty much anything I work on. I've tried positioning the bag differently in the pouch, but haven't found that sweet spot yet. I'd hate to have to use a smaller weight, I got a whole case of 16oz bags for free.

this may sound stupid, but have you tried taking about 10ft of your throw line and putting in the pouch with your weight? it might work and it might not, but worth trying i guess

That's a good idea Sizzle, it's worth a shot. I'll let ya'll know if that works. It will be a few days though, weather sucks right now.

16 oz is a big chunk to use in the big shot, I would rather use 16oz as a hand throwball for 30'-40' shots. I use 10 oz with some line out in front, the rest in a bag under the pole. I know the line must run free at launch if it catches on anything it will 'misfire'. Practice, practice, practice. I also find if I don't hit my mark after 3 tries I walk away, check my gear and start over, once frustration sets in its all over.

I use 14oz bags and haven't had a problem EXCEPT for a couple of times when there was a wrap in the tubes. Double check each time you reload that the bag and tubing are hanging correctly. It is possible to load up with a twist in the system but it interferes with a clean shot. :angel:

I am with Justin on checking the tubes for proper positioning. If they are twisted up, you are almost guaranteed to mis-fire.

On a side note, I find that for most shots around here the 12 oz (red) bags work best for me. On the higher shots, the 10 oz (white) bags work really well.

The smaller bags fire a lot nicer, and go higher, but they doin't come down as nice. What's up with that?
One time I grabbed the pouch and bag inside, and pulled down really hard, not noticing my little finger got in the finger loop of the big shot, and when I realeased, it almost tore my pinky off. That sucked (try climbing with a broken finger), but not as bad as my buddy who thought it would be smart to launch a golf ball. It mis-fired and came back and knocked out 6 of his front teeth. Anyway, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I use a 12oz yellow bag. I dont know if I'm just lucky or what, but I'm deadly accurate with it.
I use 8' pole....make sure all line is laying out in front of me and the pole. I sqaut down on my knees after loading the bag....pull sling down about 3/4 the length of the pole........aim higher than my target...and shot.

Its important to shot it at full throtle every shot to be accurate. There is no choking back for lower shots.......that affects your accuracy if you do.
I also tie the end of the line to my belt so it doesnt leave me.

Sounds like your not pullin back hard enough and gettin a clean release??

I love my big shot. I despise the replacement rubber/pouch. I bought my BS 2 or 3 yrs ago and finally wore out the rubber by mistreating it (dropping on ground after shooting.) Sherrill told me the new pouches are made by a different vendor and that's why they are different. I've been using the replacement pouch for about a month now and have started having these "misfires." One came back at me and clobbered my face. That felt good :cry: . Thought my nose was broke but turned out ok. Another tree guy in my town had the same thing happen to him recently with the same new BS pouch. It really busted his face up good. Chipped tooth and huge fat busted lip.

Coincidence? Incompetence? I don't know. But ya'll where your hard hats and safety glasses.

The Big Shot is still a great tool, I won't put mine down, just be more careful. :dizzy:

-Mike-

big shot miss-fire

I have found that laying the bag in with the ring tipped back toward the pole gives me more problems with 'mis fire'. Laying the bag in with the ring tipped toward the front away from the pole weems to have stopped my mis fires. Also - your fingers on the release - are they letting the bag come into contact with the pole when you release?

Hmmm! My BS is only about 3 weeks old, so maybe it's the pouch. I too think the pouch has it's shortcomings. All of the other suggestions I've already tried. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Back