Big shot - sort of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally get you. Call us tinkerers, fabricators, innovators or inventors. We like to dissect things and put them back together. We're unable to get a new piece of gear without thinking, "How can I modify or improve it?"
Some call it a talent, some would consider it more an illness.

But the BigShot is different. First, the shot above, under the wires, over the 2-story house, avoid the copper, nail the highest crotch at 70 feet, this kind of 'throw' is not possible without a great deal of flat-out luck, the trajectory needs to be pretty much a shallowly arced straight line. But with a BigShot, this one was kids play. It wqas a challenging shot and I rated it a par three, but sank it in one. I can now pull a rope and move on to my work. That BigShot may have just paid for itself with it's magnificent ability.

There's not a real abundance of inexpensive arbo tools that do what they're supposed to, time after time after time, increasing your efficiency or abilities and income. For $60, all I can see is a slam dunk.
the madd1 said:
Or if you want take one apart make it better and then sell it on arboristsite.com.
All I can see is a lawsuit. That would be called patent infringement. One may want to look at what that looks like before one would go that direction, but I have no authority on how you conduct business within the tree climbing community.

Personally, I embrace any ideas about improving something.

At the same time, I can take a hard-toothed garden rake and bend over the metal parts, attach pouching and tube and I have a slingshot. Yep, there is that choice. If I was saving any money at all, or making a better product, I just can't see any other reason for reinventing something that's already been done (and done very well).

Besides, you will STILL always throw, if the crotch is more easily throwable.
You just pull out the BigShot for those more special instances.
attachment.php

I am just throwing out ideas. I am not planning on stealing someones product... If you cant think of a good idea, take some one elses good idea and make it better. This seems to be half the products out there on the market.

Just like that throwbag you use, sherrill didnt invent that idea, patent it or anything, they took someone elses throw bag, and made it "better". Just an example because I saw it in your picture.

How many trees do you need to climb that you cant reach with the good old throw bag and string.? I had a climber once who used a big shot on all kinds of jobs. It still took him a few shots to get the bag where he wanted it. If you aim well with a big shot you probrably throw a line just as well.

I dont think I need one in my personal bag of tricks, but maybe someday I might run into a tree I have to take a few more minutes on getting into the tree.

Does anyone notice this problem out in the field? Guys who throw into almost every tree, and have to get their line up to the top, even though they could toss the line in lower and climb, use a ladder, or some other means? It just seems like some guys get stuck into the same routine take more time, etc...

Happy Thanksgiving

I never felt that I needed one until I came to CA. I often wanted and could have used one before, But I never needed a 18' flip line back east either.

Watch those golf balls and your background. They could do some damage. Build your own big shot, you just need to bend some aluminum tube, and hook it up with some rubber, and a sling of some sort. I cant imagine it is very hard to do. You will need some metal working skills, and a sewing machine.

Actually I am not sure if it is aluminum or steel? I havent used one yet. Just go to your local supplier and take a look at the structure and go from there, I really cant imagine they are that hard to make.

The rubber tubing they use has to be available for other markets, no doubt.

The rubber tubing they use has to be available for other markets, no doubt. its rubber medical tubing. saw it on mith busters

I have a big shot and use it often. While playing with my kids one weekend I ran across a couple of decent substitutes.

Option 1: A kids bow and arrow with a weighted head and a fishing rig works rather nicely. Hang ups can be a problem. You can put this set up together for about 30 to 50 bucks.

Option 2: A potato gun loaded with a sock. Just drop your throw ball in on top of the sock, take aim and fire. I know it's redneck as all get out but you'd be surprised with the accuracy and height. Plus it's fun. I put mine together from the local hardware store for less than 40 dollars plus a can or two of 99 cent hairspray.

Back