Big Sprockets, Long Bars, Big Dogs and Chisel Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My falling saw is 661-r with 30" bar and semi skip square. That's what I have settled on. I cut 24" up to about 4' but most falls in the 24"-36" diam range. Fairly fast and smooth.

husqvarna 545 18'' full comp chisel........ echo 330evl 16'' stihl 63ps full comp chisel

Surely you ha a smaller saw that will do that?
There are a couple of guys on the forum that say all you need is a ms 290 with 20" bar, even for Redwood trees. Claim they see it done and have done some themselves if memory serves. So yea a smaller saw is likely in order. I find I use big saws about as much as small ones though.

Mr Randy had his dirty little way with my 088, she's been violated!
Yup, I had Randy do the same for mine. Now it's the saw it should have been from Stihl.

And even good as a ported 088 is, she still ain't no 090. Those machines are in a class by themselves. I am gonna have Randy port one of my 090's. I can tell you a ported 090g with an 8 foot bar is a very memorable experience, not to mention a blast.

Yes slouch and 090 are not words that fit together very well, especially when running very long bars. :numberone:. Even my 797's & 101's cannot compare. This is mainly I feel due to the pure size difference. No replacement for cubes.

I'll have to say my first husky 2100. I have cut wood for years, and always "made" it work with smaller 60cc class saws. Then I needed a bigger saw. Had a local guy selling a 288xp..which I was pretty set on. Got to his place, and claimed he couldn't get the 288 started, and would sell the 2100 in its place. I paid 165 pho. Had a bastardized clutch cover on it.. Found an oem one to replace that, and found a 36" bar, and put a new chain on it. First piece of wood was a 32-34" piece of fir..then the clouds opened up...a ray of light fell over myself and the 2100, and heard angels sing. This thing was a beast compared to anything I had ever put to wood. Loved it...and still do!!

And deets is correct, there is nothing louder than a ported big husky with a big hole in the muffler.

I've been around some stock Homelites and McCullochs that were LOUD. No wonder all the old loggers are going, HUH... SPEAK UP! nowadays.

Back