Big Sprockets, Long Bars, Big Dogs and Chisel Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well some do I guess but not many models, I think anyway but cart may be passing horse here soon.......

Brad has done that, it does help, but it wont allow anyone in the same zip code to sleep.
Also, if you are cutting dry or airy bark, you might have to worry about setting the stuff on fire.

Look a little more carefully at these pictures, its not a normal hole, not a normal screen, and not a normal deflector .............. they have all been altered

Shouldn't that longer bolt go in one of the lower two holes?

Shouldn't that longer bolt go in one of the lower two holes?
The lower holes have the longer bolts as well. One of the benefits of loaning out a muffler for testing is that it comes back after the bolts have had a chance to grow some ;)

climber "hey send up the 661 i could use it up here"

me *starts the 661* "what? i cant hear you send me another log down"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-03-10-56-55.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-03-10-56-55.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 24
I just got a free 064, and with a bit of work it's a good running saw. built my own muffler (not pretty but works good), and I will say I think it's a nice saw to work with, I have a 24" bar with full comp chisel chain on it and it handles it with authority.

I'm still a Husky guy though, anything I need to work on on the Stihl takes 4 times the time it would take to do the same procedure on a Husky (I haven't worked on the 3 or 5 series huskies though, perhaps they're different)
So far I've had the 028WB, 038, 056 and 064 Stihls and they were all a PITA.

Groundguy.. Stihl, pronounced Still means "you're still working on that?"

I got a husky I'll trade for that 064. The 3 series huskys are all basically the same the size of the part just changes. The only thing I don't like about working on a husky is it takes a few more tools . I wish they was like a stihl where one tool takes it apart. That ain't much of a ***** is it.

The lower holes have the longer bolts as well. One of the benefits of loaning out a muffler for testing is that it comes back after the bolts have had a chance to grow some ;)

Hahaha, I didn't think one of those short bolts from up top would do much in one of those bottom wholes so thought I'd say something.

I got a husky I'll trade for that 064. The 3 series huskys are all basically the same the size of the part just changes. The only thing I don't like about working on a husky is it takes a few more tools . I wish they was like a stihl where one tool takes it apart. That ain't much of a ***** is it.
The one size tool that you can't find!..

I'll go with the 2100 vs the 064 since they're both fresh in my mind
2100, 3x flathead for cover, 2x for air filter, 2x 5mm allen screws to hold carb on, 2 to hold intake block on (optional), 2x for muffler support, 4x 7/32" allen (I think) to remove jug = 3 tools and 15 total fasteners
064, 2x flathead for air filter, 2x T27 for carb (were some 8mm socket?), 5x philips for carb surround, 1x small flathead for intake boot, 2x T27 muffler support, Mine didn't have a muffler, and if it follows Stihl's usual design, there's at least 2 muffler cover and 2 muffler-to-head bolts, probably T27's... so I need 5 tools and have at least 16 fasteners... And the 064 is much better than the 056

Husky throttle linkage is much easier to connect, and the intake boot vs intake block I'd take the block any day, also for porting it's more my style

I call BS on needing 1 tool to take a Stihl apart!, the rest is personal opinion and preference

I never take the carb housing off if it's in the way it's faster to pull the tank. Also your 064 must b very old cause mine has a HD filter. So to completely rebuild it is need a t27 and if I want to go through text card I need a 8mm and a screwdriver. A big husky has 2 different sizes holding the muffler on gotta have a screwdriver for the plastic and if u need to just change the carb boot you either gotta do some plastic grinding or take the cylinder off. I got lots of 3 series saws if u want rid of the 64, I've had mine 25 years and have bn looking for another.

OK.. so if you take the tank off you probably have to take the handle off too right? I might consider that next time

That 85cc cylinder can b made bout as stout as a 066 cylinder, mine is stronger with a no decomp 66 cylinder but it ain't by much. Any 66 cylinder will b stronger on the 064 case, I guess it's the change in case compression cause I've had a dozen different ones on mine and they always run better than they do on a 66 case. Also I've got a HD setup for one if your in the market.

floppin flush cuttin buckin some 4ft cottonwood with the 661

used a 193t and a 661 for the whole job...
whatup stihl
not much just raping 200ft urban cottonwoods

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-04-19-39-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-04-19-39-38.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2015-11-04-19-41-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-04-19-41-38.png
    137 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2015-11-04-19-41-44.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-04-19-41-44.png
    284.8 KB · Views: 22
My 850 with 32" bar buried in white oak cut like it was butter with factory round grind skip tooth. I have no doubt it would pull a 36" full comp.

Back