Big tree must come down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"An this last tree I did Wow it was hard it was like 8 feet across I didn't know if the Wildthing was ever going to chop it down small enough that I could get it on the ground You know how hard that is Man what a day at bandcamp that was"

heck, that's nothing.. the last 12 foot ironwood I took down was done with a blunt butter knife, with a beer 9 (or 10) in the other hand:givebeer:

OK, let's get back on topic :) ............whats the saw with the camo
looking cover?

That is a MS 170 with a real tree paint job on the cover and scabbard. I am afraid to take it into the woods, though.
If I sit it down I may never find it again!

Well, if I knew I would stir up this much junk i wouldn't have posted.
Anyway, thanks for the comments from all.
A man needs to know his limitations, and I knew I was not qualified to drop this tree. The feller had to rope down most of it to keep it off the building, and then dropped the trunk, which is where I started in.
It gave me a chance to do some basic safety training with the guys, and I converted several to wearing chaps after showing them my ripped pair that absolutely kept me out of the hospital when I stumbled on a root.
It was a great time by all.

I'm glad you posted it. We all love pictures of big saws in action. :) Having a pro do the tree was a responsible thing to do. Just remember that newguy is an ignorant kid--and he's proud of it. :cheers:

Nice pics stihl#1 Those ants sure can cause havoc! I did one like that in August,:greenchainsaw: ants were embedded like crazy in a big old maple, couldn't take home half the wood because of it! The guy on the splitter must of been busy by the looks of things!

Hey,great job and great pictures. Love the saws!!!!! You did not stir it up, just seems like some people on here like to talk about how great they are, instead of listening to other people sometimes. Great Job.
Tom

Well, if I knew I would stir up this much junk i wouldn't have posted.
Anyway, thanks for the comments from all.
A man needs to know his limitations, and I knew I was not qualified to drop this tree. The feller had to rope down most of it to keep it off the building, and then dropped the trunk, which is where I started in.
It gave me a chance to do some basic safety training with the guys, and I converted several to wearing chaps after showing them my ripped pair that absolutely kept me out of the hospital when I stumbled on a root.
It was a great time by all.

You sir, didn't stir up JACK!! You did the right thing!! You didn't feel comfortable trying to fell that tree, thought SMART, and had someone that knew what they where doing fell it for you. No shame in that:cheers:
Now for the rest of the armchair pyrofesionaliticIreallywishIcouldbutitsoundsgooddistctypes, (one of you) HAVE A NICE DAY!:monkey:

That is a MS 170 with a real tree paint job on the cover and scabbard. I am afraid to take it into the woods, though.
If I sit it down I may never find it again!

I guess those are 192's, I take it that you like them having two of them.

I guess those are 192's, I take it that you like them having two of them.
The MS 192 rear handle is a really sweet little saw. Light, easy to start, and a pleasure to use. I prefer it to a MS 170, even though it may not have as much power, but for little limbing jobs it is great.

Thanks for the pics

Stihl#1: Thanks for the pictures, nicely done. And one heck of a team to sit there and split it with you. Was that done with 2 or 3 or 4 splitters. Those huge oaks can be nasty to split. Nice job.

(Newguy18) I worked on a logger last year that had a tree fall on him, and he was alone. The nicest thing about the horrible situation was that he at least wore a tag around his neck that said that his medical information was in the truck. In the glovebox was all of his information. It made identification easier for the state police, but it really did make my job easier with his medical history and allergies... Just be careful.

Jason

I can see the new's now.......

THALL and Stihl#1 GTG in the future..................:clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers:

Actually he was over here a while back. He said he was going to see if he could beat me at collecting saws, but I told him no way would that happen!
I just aquired an 038 that runs good, 2 044c's (auto choke model), a TroyBuilt !!!, which I need to figure out who made, a little top handle Echo, an O & R Mustang gear drive with like a 5cc motor on it (boy am I excited now!!!), and last but not least, a 50th anniversary green and purple Poulan! Never been run, even! With that multi-colored Poulan in my possession, I guess I should just retire from collecting and sell off all the STIHLS!

Actually he was over here a while back. He said he was going to see if he could beat me at collecting saws, but I told him no way would that happen!
I just aquired an 038 that runs good, 2 044c's (auto choke model), a TroyBuilt !!!, which I need to figure out who made, a little top handle Echo, an O & R Mustang gear drive with like a 5cc motor on it (boy am I excited now!!!), and last but not least, a 50th anniversary green and purple Poulan! Never been run, even! With that multi-colored Poulan in my possession, I guess I should just retire from collecting and sell off all the STIHLS!

Tommy could have helped with that take down and you could have even had him entertain singing Elvis....:cheers: :cheers:

Hey #1 how did that splitter in the background do? Look to be a smaller troybuilt/MTD type. Just wondering. I suppose the drool from looking at the fleet will be good to clean the keyboard with. Got anymore action photos? Those you have up are great.

Owl

Nice pics #1. I'm glad you took the safe route and called in a pro.

Hey newguy do you have insurance? Seems ilke kind of a waste of money with your skills. Do you also use the screen name geofore?

Stihl#1: Thanks for the pictures, nicely done. And one heck of a team to sit there and split it with you. Was that done with 2 or 3 or 4 splitters. Those huge oaks can be nasty to split. Nice job.

(Newguy18) I worked on a logger last year that had a tree fall on him, and he was alone. The nicest thing about the horrible situation was that he at least wore a tag around his neck that said that his medical information was in the truck. In the glovebox was all of his information. It made identification easier for the state police, but it really did make my job easier with his medical history and allergies... Just be careful.

Jason
We had 4 splitters going, so it made the job go fast. I used the 084 to cut the trunk into 18" slices, which we rolled to the splitter and just started gnawing away at it until it broke up enough to get cordwood from it. Some sections of that tree were filled with spongy stringy stuff, I had never seen before, and then there were the big black ants that came swarming out as I was cutting on it. Man, it looked like something out of a sci-fi flick. But they didn't actually attack anybody!
And at the end of the day I didn't even have to pass out any BandAids, so that is always a great day when a lot of hard and possibly dangerous work gets done without anyone getting hurt.

Hey #1 how did that splitter in the background do? Look to be a smaller troybuilt/MTD type. Just wondering. I suppose the drool from looking at the fleet will be good to clean the keyboard with. Got anymore action photos? Those you have up are great.

Owl

Yes, the flip up feature is great, although that splitter was straining a bit to get through the wood. For smaller stuff it was fine, and not a back breaker since you don't have to lift the log up. I had an 8 ton splitter there as well, but we couldn't get the big stuff up on it.
Here is a pic of my modded MS 260. When this young man got hold of it he wouldn't let go! Nice and loud and plenty of power.

attachment.php

Man, tree has green leaves.........trees here have lost their leaves.

I can't tell, is that a Shingle Oak?

Last edited:
Man, tree has green leaves.........trees here have lost their leaves.

I can't tell, is that a Shingle Oak?

Sorry guys, I failed to mention that I did this a couple of months ago, and I just now figured out how to resize these pics so I could post them. We are finally getting some cool weather here and the leaves are changing.
I guess it is an oak, but I don't know my trees too well. The wood looked like red oak as far as color and grain, but someone earlier said maybe an elm?
I guess I need to rig up a slab cutter for the 084 so next time I get a chance at a big piece of wood with a nice looking grain I can try saving some of it for something other than firewood.

Latest posts

Back