BIG trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a 2 part question for you guys. 1) I was looking in the Dirr book and noticed that the normal size for the Thuja Occedentalis is like 40 - 60 feet, but 20 - 30 is much more realistic. I was just wondering if one of these about 70' tall is worthy of any recognition.
2) If it is worthy of at least some investigation, who would I call?

The reason I ask is because the woman from the Bedford tree board came out to the site over the weekend and when I talked with her the other day she said that these were the biggest Arbs she had EVER seen.

Any thoughts?

Stick trick brings them in at like 77 feet I THINK.

Try these folks. http://www.championtrees.org/
The big Cypress tree they have shown is about 5 miles from me (and about a mile from where I work). I know one of the climbers shown (Luke) and he's the best climber I've ever seen. :D

I looked up Thuja occidentalis in Robert Van Pelt's book, Champion Trees of Washington State.
In Walla Walla, there is one thats 56' tall and 7'4"in circumference.
Good luck with your champ.
Dan.

These trees have yours beat height wise no problem. These guys are in at 70' tall give or take 10 feet as there are 6 of them. However the diameter at breast height is only about 12 - 20 inches on each of them. The biggest one (only straight one) is about 20" in diameter and about 70 feet tall.

Maybe my math is messed up here... but! the circumference would be... pie R square right?

So...

3.14 x 10 x 10 = 314.0

divide that by 12 because 12 inches to a foot

and it leaves me with about 26.1666 feet.

How can this be?

That is the formula for figuring area.

3.1425x10x10, divided by 144 (Square inches in a square foot)=2.18 sq feet.

Circumference is Pi x D, or 3.1425 x 20=62.285" or just over 5 feet.

I checked your state's big tree register, thuja occidentalis is not listed. So, nominate the tree! Use the above link.

It is interesting to note how big a tree is before you see it.
This nice woman showed up on the scene today while I was chopping some trees down in the woods and she says she has a Black Walnut that 9 people can't hug with their arms joined.
Given that they were 5 ft. tall, wouldn't it make this tree 45 ft. in circumference or 15 feet across? Whoo Who, I smell a new chainsaw!
Even if the people doing the hugging were midgets, the stem would still be at least 12 ' across.
Supposedly, this stem is veneer, so lets say I get a 10' stick with a 100" tip, then there would be 5760 bdft., and at say 5$/ft., let's see, that makes 28,000$. Whoo Who, I smell shopping!
Anywho, have you guys had similar fairy tales? Will check out the stem tomorrow.
John

Even if it were near that big, it would all be gone to heartrot anyways.

Good for nothing but producing seeds, though it was left 100 years ago when everything else was creamed out. So it is inferior genetic stock anyways...

The one I allways hear is that someone their nieces nephew's sisterinlaw knows got 3k for a veneer quality tree and stump. So thiers must be worth much more, because that was years ago.

I've only met 1 guy in this area who claims to have sold a tree off his lot for big money. All he had to do was some brush and fill the stump hole back in.

Last walnut I did had 2 pockets of rot that dropped it below veneer grade. The rot took it from $3k to <$1k so it got sawed to boards and turn=able chunks.:(

gunstock carvers

John, do you have a line one a few gunstock carvers out here in Pennsylvania? The guy that was going to pick up the walnut I have for gunstocks passed away before he he got over here to pick up the pieces. I've had the pieces for a few years now out in the shop. 4"-7" thick, 12"-15" from heart to bark, 52"- 62" long, half dozen pieces, ends painted. It was a nice walnut stump about 30" ABH that I split into pieces to move. About a half ton of pieces.

Check out the web page of the Eastern Native Tree Society. http://www.uark.edu/misc/ents/
All their measuring is accurate (lasers or tape drops, in most cases), and all follow a set protocol (the National Champion list is littered with multiple stems and mismeasured heights). I'm sure someone on the discussion list is from NY and can help you .

Mike

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
anything savageable from the root/stump? Gotta remeber the gunstock carvers!
Backhoe pullout was my first option for that reason; however it
s up against a fragile antique brick wall/.:(

Back