BIG trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I went and saw the largest Juglans Nigra in the whole world, what a thing of beauty, think I will get right on this one.
And what a deal, I can have the whole thing, lock, stock and barrel for free!
John

J Nigra

If that black 55 gallon drum is close to the tree then the tree is 3' or better as the drum is 3' tall standing upright. Not the biggest but good size. Digging it out with a backhoe though would leave a big hole. Last one I had to dig out because the guy wanted all the roots out to put up a garage. The hole was 14' across and 7' deep. Once we knocked the dirt off the roots it was enough to fill the hole with one load of soil brought in. The walnut was near 3' ABH, 85' spread and 100'+ tall. No rot but struck by lightning, spar and large limbs hanging all over held by little more than bark. One of the more dangerous trees I've done. That one looks to be in good shape but the wood is questionable with that missing spar on the right. That close to the barn I'd be looking for there to be some steel in the tree, bolts or nails that would stain the wood. The large croutch would should yeild some nice tiger stripes though if cut right.

I looked at some black locusts tonite that only needed the ivy cut...to maybe remove later..saved the guy lots of $ as he thought they might need removal.

However, 1.5 hours away in the Cascade foothills, he has a cabin with a big leaf maple with an 8 foot (maybe)butt, that the tree co only topped, didnt know how to deal with the rest...I told him I would love to check it out and get it on the ground, perhaps there is some valuable figured wood in it. Plus he wanted to log some wolfy cedar, at some time...Cedar brings $850 -$1100 per mbf....

Hi Roger, I hope that Big Leaf stick ends up being clear and sound. They like 8' 6", 9' 3" and 10' 3" and sometimes 7'6" for rotary and slicer here. Make sure you flip it before the warm weather, or the sap stains the sapwood. However if it's a City tree, ie, front lawn it may make a good saw log.
Roger, it won't be long and you will be logging on those small woodlots, just think of the possibilities! All you need is a 50 horse 4x4 tractor and a PTO logging winch. By the way, that 357 EHP will make the trees piss their roots!
John

Latest posts

Back