bigger dogs on 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my 361 with a set of 660 dogs on it. You will also notice the red crap on the bar. That is from the bark of big Doug Firs. Mine isn't a firewood saw either. Mostly used in the timber... and on removal jobs.

All the posts from the eastside guys are typical to the argument of big dogs and longer bars out west. Ain't no compensation thing. It's for help in cuttin' BIG softwoods with thick bark... and on steep hills. Not for leverage.

Gary

fishhuntcutwood said:
big dogs are not compensatory. They're mandatory. I even started a thread about why big dogs are good. A thread as well about long bars. It's a West Coast thing. Don't knock it 'till ya try it....on a 50 degree slope with a 32" dbh tree....all cut from one side.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31040&highlight=bars

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=30994&highlight=bars

Here's my 361-
attachment.php
True, along with Mr. Ellison's great post this should just finish the nonsense about dogs.

I see you guys had to drill your clutch cover to attach the outboard dogs.
Any problems? What did you do to align it with the inner one?
Gasoline,
Cool looking dogs, where did you get-em?

I got 'em from Jeff (cutfishhuntwood). They were made to fit with a dremel.

There are bosses molded into the clutch cover to drill the holes out. Plus provisions for a locknut to fit in there too.

I now have these dogs on the saw. Haven't been in the bigger wood with thick bark lately. Diddn't need the big dawgs for the last few jobs I have been doin'.

Gary

Last edited:
Logjam said:
Cool looking dogs, where did you get-em?

From me. They're just factory Stihl 660 dogs. Drilled and milled to fit.

Drilling the cover is no problem. There's bosses already there, you just drill them out. Lining up the outer dog is just eyeballing it, as you have to redrill the dog as well.

Edit- Gary beat me to it.

GASoline71 said:
Here is my 361 with a set of 660 dogs on it. You will also notice the red crap on the bar. That is from the bark of big Doug Firs. Mine isn't a firewood saw either. Mostly used in the timber... and on removal jobs.

All the posts from the eastside guys are typical to the argument of big dogs and longer bars out west. Ain't no compensation thing. It's for help in cuttin' BIG softwoods with thick bark... and on steep hills. Not for leverage.

Gary

Last time I checked I was sorta East coast, though many leagues inland and I certainly appreciate Big Dawgs.:chainsaw: :clap:

BTW Gary nice dawgs on that 361.:clap: I modded a set for my 036 as well and am about to mod a set for my Husky 2100.

Back