biggest rookie mistake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should look into the bible and see if there's a passage for straight gas damage on two strokes.
Holy crap that's funny.

I just finished working on my 028 Super for 2 hrs cause it wasn't oiling. Removed and cleaned it all. Still wouldn't oil.

I guess my first step shoulda been seeing if oil was in the tank. Awesomeness.

Oils great when you add oil.

Holy crap that's funny.

I just finished working on my 028 Super for 2 hrs cause it wasn't oiling. Removed and cleaned it all. Still wouldn't oil.

I guess my first step shoulda been seeing if oil was in the tank. Awesomeness.

Oils great when you add oil.
Dude...you're better than that..come on

I did it too. And left a brake on after a rebuild. Wouldn't Rev up. Sucks.

IDK...you could do the top end and find it screwed up the main bearing as well or the big end on the crank?
Last one I saw that happen to, it was a 372 and they figured it out and thought it was ok but the brand new main bearings tightened up when the saw warmed up then the saw would die out.
You could be chasing good money after bad? If you can pull it apart you may be able to get a pro to roll it over ..if it feels smooth and if he can't see anything obvious with his flashlight then It may be worth you doing it. Clean well first so nothing falls in the case.

Once again, the BA causes a pissing match between good members that are ALL willing to help other people, whether they're new members or senior ones.

Some find him entertaining, some don't and some just don't know when they're being toyed with. Unfortunately, more than one new member has been wrongfully accused of being the BA...but usually the people with keen "ape senses" are spot on.

FWIW, I've opened many posts recently & immediately recognize the symptoms, but I just bite my tongue, close the thread and move on.

There's no need to try to be the first to call if it's another BA alias - if it is he'll give it away soon enough, and if you think it is then the best thing is to stop reading it and don't respond.

The problem I had with the OP here is that it did not state if the P&C had been replaced - I think it may have been based on a later post. So I suspect the original question was that the P&C had been replaced but it still won't start, although there was no way to guess that from the OP. It helps to think about what you want to ask and make sure that what you type actually says that.

Well just my two cents but how did you end up with a monster of a saw. I dont mean to be disrespectful, but thats a big saw( like pro size) I would have got as much info on a tool before I used it. That being said, keep doing your homework on a top end for your saw or post it for sale or trade on your next saw if you feel you do not want to restore it. They are nice saws but are like anything else in life, an aquired taste, not for the faint of heart. Good luck with fixing it or aquiring another, but always try doing research before you buy. Best of luck. P.S if no one here has offered, I will be the first to offer a small McCulloch if you want to pay the ride. Money is a little tight before grass cutting season or it would be free all the way around. There are lots of great people on this site, even if they rib you, they have all been there before, its just funny when it doesnt happen to them ssses... But it has happened to the best of us

This might cause trouble but I think I remember a passage that read so it came to pass on the third day that Macstrange did fueleth his saw with the straight gas of which we dare not speak......and low a voice came from the stihl dealer saying that let him that hath not dipping his bar upon the stones cast the first mean comment.......or something like that.........
:ices_rofl::laugh:

Why would you think running straight gas would hurt the coil?
thought heat build up might have fried it.
But I suppose that would cause it to have no spark.
I'm not a small engine mechanic, so these things are not so obvious to me.
But with your help I can figure it out, except for old-cat, he's no help.
Thanks to everyone else though. Much appreciated.

If the heat fried the coil, I can't imagine how the piston look :dumb:

This is nothing I just got an 066 put together and couldn't wait to hear it run...fired it up and it made a horrible noise I thought the piston was slapping.....come to find out I left the clutch drum off and it tried to eat itself......

Back