Biggest Round on Splitter (Pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't the biggest but it was a pretty big one.

P3240189-1.jpg

I've also noticed that a lot of these "big round" pictures also include a Timberwolf splitter...just sayin' is all.....

This isn't the biggest but it was a pretty big one.

P3240189-1.jpg

I've also noticed that a lot of these "big round" pictures also include a Timberwolf splitter...just sayin' is all.....

Is that ash? It's a nice round whatever it is. How come you guys don't noodle? That's half the fun of cutting wood for me....:cheers:

Not the biggest but it is how I split the big ones

attachment.php

Bout time ya showed up JD, that's the first pic I've seen of that thing working. I was all worked up to bring my splitter to the first GTG I went to, till I saw that in the weeds. I'll still hand a C-note to the first person that brings a block of wood my splitter can't handle though!

not attached to the frame at all? surprised it hasent ripped the bed.

Sometimes I have the same thoughts. That plate under the bed is giving the mast and its base a broader surface area for support. It is really 2-pieces and they are 18" long.

I have thought about making a broader plate for the topside of the bed for the mast to be bolted through. But I never have picked up anything heaver than 200 to 300 hundred pounds.

This little crane is ideal for dragging in logs that I cannot back up close to. It has 50 feet of cable and I can add lengths of chain to that if necessary.

Nosmo

Sometimes I have the same thoughts. That plate under the bed is giving the mast and its base a broader surface area for support. It is really 2-pieces and they are 18" long.

I have thought about making a broader plate for the topside of the bed for the mast to be bolted through. But I never have picked up anything heaver than 200 to 300 hundred pounds.

This little crane is ideal for dragging in logs that I cannot back up close to. It has 50 feet of cable and I can add lengths of chain to that if necessary.

Nosmo

I have the exact same crane in my f350, I bolted a 18x18x1/2" steel plate to the bed cross rails and the frame. I then tapped the steel plate so I can remove the mast when not in use. I just finished running 4awg to the rear of the truck so I have remote power to the warn 1700 winch that I bolted to the crane. I use a choker chain to do my lifting. cheep money if you wanted to get away from those eyelets.

Is that ash? It's a nice round whatever it is. How come you guys don't noodle? That's half the fun of cutting wood for me....:cheers:

I don't remember for sure but I think it was oak. With the big rounds that are actually round we lower the splitter to the ground and just roll it onto the beam. If we have those funky shaped maple rounds (we call them "cat toys") then we do noodle them in to quarters.

I have the exact same crane in my f350, I bolted a 18x18x1/2" steel plate to the bed cross rails and the frame. I then tapped the steel plate so I can remove the mast when not in use. I just finished running 4awg to the rear of the truck so I have remote power to the warn 1700 winch that I bolted to the crane. I use a choker chain to do my lifting. cheep money if you wanted to get away from those eyelets.

I had another plate (1/2") I was going to use under the mast's plate but it has turned up missing. I have since changed the winch to one which is supposed to have 3000 lbs of pull.

I keep the crane part of the device stored inside with only the mast still in the bed of the truck. I keep an empty vegetable can over the top of the mast.
When folks ask "what is that can on top of the mast for" ? I tell them - to keep the water out of the can. :)

Nosmo

I only noodle crotches or big knots or stuff too hard to split. Splitting is faster, even on the real big rounds. Although when the occasion arises and I have some elm to cut, I will noodle those if they're big enough. Often times it's quicker to rip elm because it's so hard to split with a maul and wedges.

not the biggest but still had to use the crane 33" big end red oak

Last edited:
Tongs

It has been a while when I said I was going to make a pair of those tongs using angle iron. Yesterday I found the time and here is a picture of the results. I used the photo of motoman3B and give him credit for his idea.

The log in the photo is not one of the huge ones but it is just an example to show these tongs do work. I plan on using a shorter piece of chain than the one in the photo. There are 6-pivot points and if necessary others can easily be drilled. Those short pieces of angle iron do seem to dig into the wood well enough to prevent slipping. These are welded and just for security I added a bolt through them.

Thank you motoman3B for the idea and comments.

Nosmo
attachment.php

Info on size

What splitter are you using that will process something that big!!?

How do you determine a chunk's weight? I'd like to do that with the rest of the big ones I'll be doing.
I clean up after the tree trimmers so all I get is the big ones the one's they cane put on the trailer they sell. My tractor will p/u a little over 800 lb so I have had to go home and get my fork lift to pick them up and put the on the truck most of my wood 2 or 3 pieces will make a rank. I like the big pieces I do 1 rank a day total from start to finished wrapped and ready for market. Later

Really?

Those are some serious chunks of wood. Never see anything like that around here. Years a go my dad cut them biggins all down when he was a kid. Got'a give all of you a lot of credit. Yall came up with some good ideas on how to handle them

I'm in NW MN and all my wood comes from very local sources. I get a few logs each season that are in the 48" diameter range and they are a challenge to process.

I have all my wood delivered log length so I have it pretty easy. I also get to use my supplier's 35 ton splitter which has a hydraulic lift arm so I can put some serious rounds on the splitter. I can fit a length of about 40" and I know the largest was far bigger around than it was long. So big that the supplier had to use his grapple arm on the log truck to lift it on the splitter and hold it while I ran the splitter controls.

Bringing this thread back from the grave.... Think this log is a new record for my splitter, its some wet cottonwood roughly 50" across range, the boom lifted this one up but the next log was a little bigger bent the upright portion of the arm pretty good... it was due for a rebuild anyways

SSPX0497.jpg

SSPX0498.jpg

Back