Biggest wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a big Locust...don't think I've ever seen one that big...
The biggest tree I've ever cut for firewood was a 46"White Oak.

The biggest I ever cut was a 42" Maple. Had a 20" bar and lets just say it wasn't the easiest to get to the ground......

I cut a 62" pine but I don't have any pictures of it. It was a real work out for sure! :rock:

42" white oak that fell at my buddy's place. He called me to help because he knew I had a big enough saw to handle the trunk. He bought me a brand new 28" bar and chain and threw me some cash in exchange for a couple of hours of me bucking it up on his hillside in the yard.

Pretty fun when you get into the big stuff in a good location. Can't wait till I happen across some more. Tough hand splitting tho...

A Silver Maple that ranged from about 48"-36". These were a few of the smaller ones. 4 Men to roll them up on the trailer. The larger ones were noodled and put on another trailer. :msp_tongue:

Biggest I ever cut into firewood was a 67" maple. Got two dump truck loads out of that tree.:dizzy:

Well, I don't normally measure 'em; most of the Bur Oak I cut runs within 6 inches either side of 30, but the largest I've ever converted to firewood was not far short of 60 I reckon.

Of course, it never happened 'cause I ain't got the picture proof :D
(And here you guys thought I didn't read the rules)

Well, I don't normally measure 'em; most of the Bur Oak I cut runs within 6 inches either side of 30, but the largest I've ever converted to firewood was not far short of 60 I reckon.

Of course, it never happened 'cause I ain't got the picture proof :D
(And here you guys thought I didn't read the rules)

but then again,spidey,,you do know how it goes with fishing tales,right????? and theres more than a few without pics......... myself,,it was a 54 inch dia COTTONWOOD!! those were the days,,when I would burn anything!! including black poplar!! both of them,,basswood also,,are junk trees!!! along with catalpa!!!!!!

Not for my own firewood, but I cut a cottonwood that was 62" DBH. It was nearly 80" at the root flare. All with an ms460 and a 30" bar. My aunt and uncle own the 150 year old farm and gave all the rounds away as free fire wood. One tree kept several needy members of the community's houses warm the whole winter with wood left over. I have no idea how many cords were in that monster but it was a few. Probably the greatest volume deciduous tree I've ever seen. And I even lived in VA for a few years.

I only have photos of when I cut up one of its limbs that fell in a storm last summer. At which point, it had already lost its biggest stem. I've since removed the remainder of the tree. For perspective, my saw is 48" from bar tip to the end of the rear handle.

4emujugu.jpg

On this same property there is a cottonwood that is probably 6' DBH and easily 8' just a few inches above the ground. They're all about 140 years old. The growth rings at the bases are about 1/2". Amazing that they can get that big and be that young (as far as trees go). It takes many longer lived trees 200-500+ years to get that big. They grow like the weeds that they are.

Last edited:
A few years ago a helicopter logging crew was timbering a steep mountain face along the Juniata river in my area.
The mountain is pretty steep and rocky..I don't know if has ever been timbered? they were taking some really nice sized timber... anyway I asked them what was the biggest tree they cut so far and they told me, Belive it or not it was an American Chestnut over 6' Chest High..
It was pretty awesome watching the helicopter flying up over the mountain with a haul of logs...What sucked for them is the mill was just a couple miles away but they couldn't just fly the logs to the mill because there was a highway between the mill and were they were cutting.
They weren't allowed to cross the highway toting logs..Makes sense i guess. They would fly the logs to a landing at the top of the mountain then truck it to the Mill.

Back