Bio Bricks??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Who uses bio bricks? My back is shot, and stacking then hauling firewood is getting old, fast. I know the pluses: little ash, little mess, no insect worries, easy to stack and store. Just a bit pricey, and not sure how well they do. Anyone?

Funny story. Bought a couple bags of them on clearance. Figured I'd see how they perform. Threw a couple on an established fire to see how long they last. Wasn't impressed. They didn't last long enough to warrant continuing to purchase them.

So I tucked them away till a few weeks ago, just needed a "Take the chill off" burn. So I loaded like 10 of them into a cold stove and got them going and it was slow to start. About 10 minutes later I couldn't shut the air off enough to control the burn. Stove was pushing 600, chimney was 700. I ended up having the shove a rag in the air supply to cut the air off.

The plus side is those 10 bricks threw heat for about 6 hours.

sent from a field

I've burned some. If you have good draft control they aren't bad. Like CaseyForrest said, you have to stack them right to get a long burn. I figured I'd need 2-3 bundles per day. By weight they are priced the same as pellets. There is a place locally that makes them and IIRC you could get them for $189 per ton (pallet) if you bought 6 0f them at a time.

I decided to stick with firewood but they might be a good option for someone burning a cord or two per year.

Hi, new guy here...

I've been burning them for about 4yrs. now. I go through 8 or 9 tons each heating season (1 pallet = 1 ton, 50 bags/pallet, 20 bricks/bag, 2lb/brick). I fire up Nov. 1st and it goes 24/7 until the end of April.

I have a Seton Gladiator as my only heat source in the basement of my small un-insulated cape and I bulk load it twice a day, 32 bricks stacked tightly, 4 across, 2 rows deep, height 4 rows. One load at 4am and another at 4pm. Rake a handful of coals forward, load it up, mound coals against front of load, close door, open intake damper full and in 10 to 15 minutes my stack temperature is approaching 600deg.f. When it settles down it cruises at around 525deg.f. stovetop, 600deg.f stack and drifts down to about 140deg.f. stovetop, 150def.f. stack when I repeat the cycle.

That keeps the upstairs above 60deg.f. on all but the very coldest and windy days.

Good draft control is essential and watching it pretty closely for the first couple of hours is mandatory. The bricks start to expand after like an hour (I cook them at about 500deg.f.) and because there's only an inch between the sidewalls of my stove and the stack, they tend to push out against the side, squeeze together and then push-up in the center which exposes more fresh surface area of the bricks and if you aren't paying attention then, it can go nuclear pretty quick.

I sweep my 6"x25' chimney liner every year and get a cup or two of fine, eggshell color, fluffy ash out of it.

I was thinking about going larger scale bundles, so asked my local super market manager if he would like a truckload. I couldn't compete with the big bundle guys as they were wholesaling the bundles for two bucks a bundle! No way I would sell oak heartwood, at least two summers seasoned, for that, I'll burn it myself first. My wood is primo, way better than anything I have seen for sale around here. With that said, any good oak bundles might be another option for you, see where local bundles come from by checking the label/name, call them up, ask them how many to get a wholesale price and delivery.

Latest posts

Back