Bio chain oil and best before date

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeowner

Yes, I'm with stupid <-
Reaction score
I bought can of bio chain oil to test if it would work, as I cut mostly on one place and mineral oil seems to darken the ground a bit.

I noticed now that can I got from the shop has best before date and it is gone over a month already.

Should I return the can into shop, is that best before date how crucial on this kind of chain oil?

When I swapped oil, I did cleanup all mineral oil before and flushed oil tank twice with bio oil, I just noticed that stuff that came from canister was kind of syrup with clumps of thicker viscosity stuff in it, should it be like that?

Clumps of thicker viscosity that come out of the canister is not normal. I would try to return the oil to the shop. It`s good that you have cleaned the oil tank from the chain saw twice, because some mineral and bio oil can react with each other creating clumps and gelee. If you have it in the chainsaw I would flush the tank with diesel or petroleum and of course the hose to the oil pump and the filter. I also would remove the oil pump for cleaning and all the passages after the pump too.

Normally the best before date that that is over a month now shouldn`t be a problem. I have bio oil that is much older and it`s clear as new. But that also depends on how it is stored. It`s best to store it cool and dry with no direct sunlight and uv radiation.

I try to return/swap to more fresh canister then, I don't use saw so much and that over a gallon canister might last for years on my use.

I was thinking about flushing tank with diesel as I don't use saw now for some time and bio stuff is not good to be kept months in a saw without use, so it should take care of the stuff in saw.

Lots of black goo in bar and chain though, maybe I should of cleaned those with diesel before trying this bio oil.

My use of saw is not much more than 30 hours in a year, usually during first 6 months of the year.

Just buy canola and keep it fresh and the lid sealed on the bottle. Bio oil is a fancy version of......

I did read about that after I had bought that expensive canister, tempted to try as I have used canola for many other lubrication needs, I have used in a car too when I was low on diesel and no gas station nearby, engine did purr better with canola than with diesel :)

So I try that next after I clean the oil tank, pump and filter.

That bio chain oil is not lubricating chain too well and it makes lot of black goo into bar groove, maybe because it is too old or maybe it is just poor product. Canola might be bit too thin though, could I use something to thicken it a bit, Jonsered CS-2145 likes to make big mess with thin chain oil as there is no rubber bit to seal oil groove to bar, it is metal to metal contact.

Just mix expired bio oil with motor oil 1 part bio oil, 10 part motor oil :)

Just mix expired bio oil with motor oil 1 part bio oil, 10 part motor oil :)

I could dispose it that way, but I think I try to swap it in a shop first, as I kind of would like to use something that does not stain my ground so much.

Doing cutting in one place makes oil show up on ground quite well and while it helps to keep need of weeding low, I might need to transport dirt to processing unless I swap to something less staining stuff.

Canola route sounds quite good at least for now, if shop does not swap canister I just leave it into shop and be done with that shop :D

A few years back I found 5 bottles of bio chain oil at Home Depot at an extremely reduced price. Being the cheapskate that I am, I purchased all the bottles and started using the stuff in my saws. I locked up and ruined three oil pumps with the stuff. It congealed inside my saws and plugged up everywhere. Never again.

Back