Bio-Degradeable Bar Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello Fellas: Been a longtime lurker, have gained lots of knowledge, finally have a question. I know some may get irked, but yes another oil thread...... Being we art out and about with mother nature throwing bar oil everywhere, do any of you have/use the Bio stuff? Here in southern Minnesota, I haven't seen any yet at dealers/stores, but feel maybe I should start using. On the Net, it states most will completely dissolve in 21 days or less, have better lube stat's since it is Canola based, not Petro based, use 20% less overall consumpion???? I dunno, sounds good, but hard to find, maybe hard to beleive? A gallon of Stihl here is about $6 and just a quick search on net found the Bio stuff to be around $14+. Curious minds need to know, I feel I will probably start purchasing to help Ma-Nature out.....Thanks for input......:givebeer:

Stihl BioPlus is all I run. I am not a full time cutter so 5 gallons is lasting me more than a month right now. The cleanup is much easier with BioPlus, it doesn't stain clothes as readily as petro oil. The lubrication/chain life is as good or better. The main reason I use it is I work in several different watersheds and running bio oil is a good selling point and is better for the environment than conventional oil. A friend of mine runs only drain oil. He refuses to buy bar oil when he can get it for free. He will never work for me. All of us who work together run BioPlus.

BTW I would run any bio oil, it just happens that I run Stihl.

Stihl BioPlus is all I run. I am not a full time cutter so 5 gallons is lasting me more than a month right now. The cleanup is much easier with BioPlus, it doesn't stain clothes as readily as petro oil. The lubrication/chain life is as good or better. The main reason I use it is I work in several different watersheds and running bio oil is a good selling point and is better for the environment than conventional oil. A friend of mine runs only drain oil. He refuses to buy bar oil when he can get it for free. He will never work for me. All of us who work together run BioPlus.

BTW I would run any bio oil, it just happens that I run Stihl.

I use Husky Veg-Oil allmost exclusively - same result.

...and it makes marginal oilers less marginal, because less is needed to do the job, and more is put out!

I use the pricier Stihl bio-degradable in my milling saws because I use the dust to mulch my blueberries and other food crops. I was concerned at first as it's thinner but it holds up well on the mill which is about as though as it gets on bars/chains.

I assume the dust produced is also less harmful to the operator, that is if you inhale some.

Last edited:
Back