Birch Tree Loosing Leaves In Spokane, WA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyconnor

Reaction score
I have a clump of Birch trees that are dying one by one. They receive adequate water. What can I do to identify the cause and stop the trees from dying ?

There are some things you can try for free that might help if there is a specific problem occurring in your area. Call local nurseries, the county extension agent, state forest service, city arborist/forester, etc. Frankly I haven't encountered any of these that could tell a dime from a donut hole except for a couple of nurserymen. You might get lucky though. You can seek out a consulting arborist and pay for a consultation. Hopefully, that will net you an accurate diagnosis.
FWIW, birches are dying all over the country. This "birch dieback" has not proven to be the result of a particular disease or pathogen but rather seems to be stress related. Birches are a species that simply do not do well outside of their native habitat. Your soil PH is probably not optimum. Soil structure probably isn't either. Ambient humidity certainly is not in Spokane. All that adds up to stress that can result in the premature decline and death of your trees.:(

I am making a n educated but wild guess about your particular situation. Feel free to post more details and some pictures if possible and maybe some of the other guys can pin it down.:)

I am a bit further north but I can tell you that trees locally (Birch) have been having a tough time the last few years with our climate. Too much hot and dry in the summer for their liking a few years in a row has the trees stressed. Summer leaf drop, yellowing and early dormancy are signs of this stress. To attempt to help the tree keep it well watered through the summer dry period, regular deep waterings are beneficial, frequent shallow waterings are not. Watch for borer damage, watch for aphid infestation. Check your pH if you can, see if your acidity is too high.

Originally posted by jimmyq
I am a bit further north but I can tell you that trees locally (Birch) have been having a tough time the last few years with our climate. Too much hot and dry in the summer for their liking a few years in a row has the trees stressed. Summer leaf drop, yellowing and early dormancy are signs of this stress.

Same thing is going on in Western Oregon.

Here's an update on the area in between the last few posts. We have started losing a number birches on campus in the several years. The river birch are just going into decline and dying back while the Crimson frost have mostly succombed to borers. Several of the river birch have been in irrigated and maintained areas on campus. The only Crimson frost we have left are planted in the god-awfullest place on the end of a building with full exposure and a limestone parking lot abutting the sloping bed and absolutely no supplementary H2O or spray program(supposedly it's just a temporary bed) - go figure!!

Has anything been changed in amongst these trees in question?

What's the age of the trees in question?

There are many factors that can lead to an accurate, yet sometimes hypothetical, prediction of the potential problems associated with trees.

Here in Manitoba, which is a totally different Zone (which for inquiring minds is 3), Paper Birches succome to Bronze Birch Borers. These beetles typically bore into the top 2/3 to 3/4 of relatively mature trees. Their feeding practices cause so much cambial damage that the top dies back and needs the care of man's hands. This is the same thing that Mike was referring to..........and even though there are many different chemicals treatments out there, they all are more effective than no treatment at all! I personally prefer a painted strip of Cygon 2e (systemic) located below the lowest lateral limb or at approximately 5' (done to prevent small children and animals from coming into direct contact with the chemical). This treatment gets all borers heading to the soil for winter hibernation and those that migrate to a new location from accessing the tree!

Birches are also very intolerant to high soil temperatures. These birches originally came from river and lake banks where the root zone is continually shaded and the canopies where in full exposure to the sun. Move this tree into an open yard with full sun on the canopy and the roots.............you'll soon have an extremely stressed out tree. Even though the use of organic wood mulch beneath the dripline will prove beneficial, the harshness of the sun may prevail.

The potential causes of death could be endless.........but hopefully some of this information will shed some light on your mystery!

Latest posts

Back