Black and white newspaper getting harder to find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newspaper is good, cardboard better, and those waxed drink cups really burn hot---alot of the time I use the waxed pressed sawdust squares made by Rutland with kindling ---those things are the best

Doctor Ed's Fire Starters

I use both B & W newspaper and cardboard, but perhaps in a slightly different fashion. I take one or two sections of newspaper and wrap it around 9" x 12" cardboard sheets that I have cut up from boxes using my band saw. I make about three of these newspaper loose "logs" per fire start.

In short, the cardboard is surrounded by a couple of layers of easy-to-light newspaper. Now I pile on a layer or two of kindling and a couple of nice logs on top of that. When I light the creation using the newspaper which catches fast, the kindling and logs keep the newspaper fly ash in place, and the cardboard is like a shot of adrenalin.

It never misses and eventually the newspaper fly ash becomes nothing but fine ash powder, just like the hardwood logs on top of it. Collect B & W newspaper only. Give the color mags and ads to the recyclers.

I've used plain old black and white newsprint for years to crumple up to help start my fires, but lately I find it harder and harder to find; just about every page has some color print on a good portion of it. Just wondering if its like that where you are?

I use cardboard egg cartons & the egg flats that eggs come on in restuarants. Drink carriers from fast food joints work too....Rick

Back