Black Locust, the Wood Pile, my 044!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
20170212_170155.jpg 20170212_170521.jpg 20170212_170757.jpg
Just got my 044 up & running again...new spark arresting screen and mounting bracket intact.
It fired up in about 4 pulls, yet sputters just a tad when it idles, BUT afterward it fired up on one pull the whole evening!
Black locust is one of my top 3 firewood's, check out how beautiful & tight the end grains are on this wood.
My others saws sometimes balked when tackling locust the 044 screamed through it like so much confetti!
Obviously, my 20' bar sprouted legs, so I slapped on an 18' bar and some RSC and let it rip...and rip it does!
I noodled about 8 sugar maple rounds, cut about 20 pieces of locust into firewood size chunks, and diced up some red oak as well.
What is rougher on a saw Osage orange, shag-bark hickory, or black locust?
This saw is beyond a beast and I understand why it has almost a cult following!
BIG SHOUT OUT to Pioneerguy6000 a much needed part...great guys indeed!:applaudit:

BTW...I'll be ordering another bar for the 044, I've narrowed it to the a 20' Stihl Rolomatic ES LIGHT or 24' Sugihara??
What's you studs thoughts?

View attachment 557823 View attachment 557824 View attachment 557825
Just got my 044 up & running again...new spark arresting screen and mounting bracket intact.
It fired up in about 4 pulls, yet sputters just a tad when it idles, BUT afterward it fired up on one pull the whole evening!
Black locust is one of my top 3 firewood's, check out how beautiful & tight the end grains are on this wood.
My others saws sometimes balked when tackling locust the 044 screamed through it like so much confetti!
Obviously, my 20' bar sprouted legs, so I slapped on an 18' bar and some RSC and let it rip...and rip it does!
I noodled about 8 sugar maple rounds, cut about 20 pieces of locust into firewood size chunks, and diced up some red oak as well.
What is rougher on a saw Osage orange, shag-bark hickory, or black locust?
This saw is beyond a beast and I understand why it has almost a cult following!
BIG SHOUT OUT to Pioneerguy6000 a much needed part...great guys indeed!:applaudit:

BTW...I'll be ordering another bar for the 044, I've narrowed it to the a 20' Stihl Rolomatic ES LIGHT or 24' Sugihara??
What's you studs thoughts?
I have a great 044 too. It came with a new 18" Stihl rollomatic bar and new chain, but I also have a Stihl 28" rollomatic and two chains for those bigger jobs.

Well, situation at least temporarily solved. Just bought another 044 yesterday in Nashville, and it had a decent 24' Stihl E bar attached.
Other than idling faster than a Cheetah & broken chain brake it looks runs great!
Hoping the fast idle is no more than a worn clutch shoe, springs,etc...not for sure how to fix ze chain-brake? :reading:
Pics later

I have a great 044 too. It came with a new 18" Stihl rollomatic bar and new chain, but I also have a Stihl 28" rollomatic and two chains for those bigger jobs.
I carry 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, 28, 32 and match the saw and bar length to the job. Usually carry a 193T, 310, 361, 441 for power heads.

441 with a 18" bar and skip tooth chain makes one awesome noodling saw for 16" rounds...If one puts a clutch cover plate on without a chain catcher - really clears the chips with that chain catcher missing.

Back