Black Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwojton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Dwarf Twisty Baby Black Locust and was wondering if this tree could actually produce babies that are the regular Black Locust??

We've had a dozen of these pop up within 15 feet of the tree and can't image that it's coming from the same tree. These babies have thorns, where the Twisty Baby doesn't.

I'd love for another twisy baby to pop up, but all I'm getting is the regular black locust.

Thanks,
Lynne

:confused:

It sounds as if twisted baby is grafted on common black locust root stock. Therefore, the roots only sprout regular black locust.

Is there a bulge at the base of the tree fro a graft?

A graft?

I will check, but I don't remember ever seeing a graft. There are two branches very low to the ground. Could the graft possibly be so low that it's burried? Does this happen to prevent people from growing more? I was so happy when I saw the first one come up until I learned that it wasn't the same tree.

Your graft may be buried. Clear the lower portion of your stem and take a photo for a look see.

You have the guessing part right. What I think has happened the root stock was a standard black locust and the twisted baby is grafted onto it. Now I don't recall the twisted baby part dying but what may have happened is the root stock has received a chemical signal saying "hey, we've lost are apical control, start sending out the sprouts". So you would end up with standard black locust sprouts.

Back