Black walnut? If so best way to mill please..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's gotta be the slowest growing walnut. Seriously I would be saying Oak after those end grain pics. The bark however is still unlike any oak I've ever seen. The inner bark looks just like White oak would have.

Do you have any pictures of a quarter sawn board?

That's gotta be the slowest growing walnut. Seriously I would be saying Oak after those end grain pics. The bark however is still unlike any oak I've ever seen. The inner bark looks just like White oak would have.

I agree after seeing the endgrain. Never seen rays like that in walnut.

I think I've got it

You say it smells good... sort of remind you of root beer? Real light weight wood? Fairly soft? Anybody get where I'm headed with this?

well after seeing the boards and some much needed sleep im going to say that is definetly not white oak
but i will give you guys the list of woods that react to metal that i know of
oak
maple slowly and only some kinds
cherry
mulberry hard to see
apple light color change
i was once told that any hard wood will but i know some of them dont for sure
i know there are more and if you know of them let me know

Do you have any leaves or branches with buds from the tree, even just check around the area for dead leaves on the ground? For me thats the only way to for sure id a tree.

Sure looks like a dead rock oak to me. I have cut literally hundreds of them for firewood. They darken like that as they "age" when they die. I live in Pa and our property is covered in them.

Yes, the rays say it's not walnut. Oak, imo.

My guess in this contest would be Walnut.:biggrin: Were there any nuts on the ground? If there were old walnuts or acorns on the ground, would be a give away to the ID of the tree.

:cheers:
Gregg,

[video=youtube;agcLlKcXp40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcLlKcXp40&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Now that's funny. Been there before. I looked at one a few weeks back that the guy thought was worth thousands. I ended up leaving. He'll still have the log next year and the year after. I'll ask again in the spring.

You say it smells good... sort of remind you of root beer? Real light weight wood? Fairly soft? Anybody get where I'm headed with this?

I was thinking the same thing because of the bark. Sassafras. I don't ever remember cutting into a sassafras so I don't think I have any idea what the inside looks like. I've seen dried boards of sassafras and they aren't as dark as walnut, kinda brown like some hickory. Bark really looks like sassafras though

Oak all the way. The consistency of the growth rate combined with the rays just scream oak. The rays alone almost eliminate anything else except for beech, which this tree is not. Not sure which oak, but certainly an oak.

Here's what i tell 'em wrt walnut: Yeah, some walnut brings good money, yours probably won't.

back to the species id test: i don't know rock oak, but as an oak-it should have the smells we've kicked around already. the _un_walnuty thing i see is no checking. those firewood rounds should have nearly split themselves if walnut.

i withdraw my conclusion until i can smell-test the dust. the nose knows.

qbilder, you've got a point about the rays. I was thinking Sassafras because of the bright orange inner bark. I went out this morning and did a little cutting, and here's what I came up with. Burr Oak (in the white oak family) would be my guess. Great furniture wood. In fact, at one time, only furniture built from the wood of this tree was considered to be worth repairing. Hence the phrase "If it ain't Burr Oak..."
View attachment 211521View attachment 211522View attachment 211523

Well here's a picture of the staining in this piece of walnut.

attachment.php

Here's another picture of the same board. This one has a funny story to go with it. The lady I got the tree from assured me it didn't have any nails or hardware in it. Well I'm sawing the log and she proceeds to tell me stories about this tree. She says her daughter used to have a hammock in it. I said great! Then she assured me she took it out. She no longer walked in the house and I hit the very edge of that Eyebolt. Some how that log was just perfect to bury the eybolt in the 2inch slab. The only reason the log was that way was because I hired a rollback to move the log. Well he thought he could just lift it on the truck with a skidsteer. Well something happened and a weld on the bucket broke and he cut his losses and said he wouldn't move the log. I didn't see the damage to the bucket But, I was told it was pretty good. Anyhow he moved it and that was the only reason I didn't hit that eye bolt dead on.

attachment.php

There is no staining because of the plating or maybe the sapwood doesn't cause the staining.

Well here's a picture of the staining in this piece of walnut.

attachment.php

Here's another picture of the same board. This one has a funny story to go with it. The lady I got the tree from assured me it didn't have any nails or hardware in it. Well I'm sawing the log and she proceeds to tell me stories about this tree. She says her daughter used to have a hammock in it. I said great! Then she assured me she took it out. She no longer walked in the house and I hit the very edge of that Eyebolt. Some how that log was just perfect to bury the eybolt in the 2inch slab. The only reason the log was that way was because I hired a rollback to move the log. Well he thought he could just lift it on the truck with a skidsteer. Well something happened and a weld on the bucket broke and he cut his losses and said he wouldn't move the log. I didn't see the damage to the bucket But, I was told it was pretty good. Anyhow he moved it and that was the only reason I didn't hit that eye bolt dead on.

attachment.php

There is no staining because of the plating or maybe the sapwood doesn't cause the staining.

I always find a nail when they say there is none.........That looks like bw to me.

Its chestnut or burr oak. Look at the rays in the firewood walnut dosent have those rays. Wrong color for sasafrass. I think whats throwing everyone is chestnut oak is very dark as far as white oaks go. Go flip thru your lumber stack look at the boards you sawed near the pith you will have ray fleck in them like the old tiger oak furniture or regular quartersawn oak.

Latest posts

Back