Black Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How much is a black walnut tree worth standing, How is it for heating? 12 -24 in dia, Wild grown,.Good , great fire wood?..Thanks Eric

cut all mine down as i hate to pickup walnuts, hate mowing over them or stepping on them, and used it as firewood.

I agree with Tomtrees, it is too small, to be of much value yet, there will be a lot of white on the outside rings and not enough brown on the inside. As far as firewood....well it burns, nothing special. I tried looking up the BTU value of it and my list doesn't have it... so that may say something there.

it may not have a btu value on the chart you are looking at gink, i do remember seeing it somewhere, but dont know where, i didnt care about the btu's as i knew it burnt, it may not be listed as not many people would burn it as it is classified as furniture wood.

here's a link: http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

hope this helps

Yeah the chart I have handy has the more popular common types listed. I know it has some BTU value. I'm like you, if it's wood I'll burn it. Yes it is a very nice looking wood, my wife wants to "make stuff out of it" I just want to burn it. haha.

I like walnut, it's easy to work with and it burns good, it just doesn't put out as much heat as some other hardwoods do.

If your looking to sell walnut trees they need to be big, as only the heartwood is used.

when i looked at the chart i was suprised to see the btu of locust. WOW. hope its not the one that you get thorns in your feet when you are a stones throw away. we have many of them here

The cards are usually stacked against you when you sell walnut. It has to usually be in a quantity large enough in a rural location and unless you have a quite a few 24"+ diameter trees with a straight trunk for 20+ ft without woodpecker damage and graded veneer quality wood the value of walnut in general isn't much more than oak. (In most cases it might average 10-15% higher). A larger impact on the price of it will really depend upon the buyers inventory and general economy. The smaller 12 dia stuff does (especially with notches) has some value for gun stocks.

If it is only one tree I would use it for firewood and perhaps save the notched rounds and try to sell them on ebay to wood carving hobbyists.

For firewood the btu of it is higher than hackberry and lower than white ash. It burns fine and coals but it does leave a higher volume of ash which is its biggest drawback.

Power company just dropped three Black Walnut trees in my backyard that were threatening their lines. All I have to do now is split and stack it. :cheers:

Thanks

Thanks guys Iam going to look at the trees tommorow, If there what he says they are Ill take em cheap, IF they will make saw logs, Thanks Eric

when i looked at the chart i was suprised to see the btu of locust. WOW. hope its not the one that you get thorns in your feet when you are a stones throw away. we have many of them here

BLACK locust (robina) (which is on the chart) has small 1/4" thorns on the branches.

The trees with the monster thorns is honey locust, a totally different species (gledista). It's heat value is not nearly as high as black locust.

I too have many of them. I'd love to get them out of the pastures without endangering the horses or the tractor tires.

Ken

Last edited:
friggin love walnut, its better than ash elm and cherry, dont see how anyone could talk bad about it...also splits like a dream and is breathtakingly beautiful... talk about thorns try gettin thru a hedge tree row.

BLACK locust (robina) (which is on the chart) has small 1/4" thorns on the branches.

The trees with the monster thorns is honey locust, a totally different species (gledista). It's heat value is not nearly as high as black locust.

I too have many of them. I'd love to get them out of the pastures without endangering the horses or the tractor tires.

Ken

Correction, after looking at some charts, it appears that the heat value of honey locust is right up there with black locust.

Now if I could only figure out how to harvest them without danger!

I did take one down last fall that didn't really have too many thorns and most of them were gone when I bucked it up last week.

I have some other ones, however, that would make a porcupine look naked! /sigh/

Ken

don't burn them logs sell them!!....you can get from $200.00 to $800.00 per log....call a timber buyer

Ha ha ha! Another one falls for the "walnut is worth a fortune" myth. While it is in high demand, you wont find anyone to buy it from you, anthing less than 28" DBH is not going to be put on any serious sawmill, and no one wants just a few trees.

With that being said, I took down a 30" walnut tree this weekend. a 12' a 10' and a 8' log. I even saved the limbs down to 12" and 4' long. It'll all go on my mill. Once milled and dried, I might be able to sell some of it to hobbyists or cabinet guys. I would never try and sell the logs.

If there were more than one tree it might be worth trying to sell but as it is the tree would not be worth the time for a logger. maybey if you had a full load of logs sombody might be interested.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha! Another one falls for the "walnut is worth a fortune" myth. While it is in high demand, you wont find anyone to buy it from you, anthing less than 28" DBH is not going to be put on any serious sawmill, and no one wants just a few trees.

With that being said, I took down a 30" walnut tree this weekend. a 12' a 10' and a 8' log. I even saved the limbs down to 12" and 4' long. It'll all go on my mill. Once milled and dried, I might be able to sell some of it to hobbyists or cabinet guys. I would never try and sell the logs.

bring it to southern indiana....prices and value are a little different....

Latest posts

Back