blade lube/coolant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I run a band mill and have tried different blades of different thickness. I have read that bar oil lube mixed 50/50 with #2 diesel is a proper lube. I have tried this mixture and the blade lost traction on the band wheels, so I went back to pinesol and water.
I realize it makes a difference on the lumber one is cutting at the time, but wonder if any of you band guys have any special blade lubes to share.
Thanks

Last edited:
bandsaw lub

Dingo
use just enough oil to keep the pitch from sticking to the blade almost anything thats wet will work sometime with 1 man mills its best to use a oil squirt can by hand.

I run a band mill and have tried different blades of different thickness. I have read that bar oil lube mixed 50/50 with #2 diesel is a proper lube. I have tried this mixture and the blade lost traction on the band wheels, so I went back to pinesol and water.
I realize it makes a difference on the lumber one is cutting at the time, but wonder if any of you band guys have any special blade lubes to share.
Thanks

Does the Baker mill have tires on the bandwheels? If so, you might want to try the urethane belts that Suffolk Mach sells if you like the oil/diesel mix. Their suppose to eliminate the slipping, I'll report back in a few days since I'm going to give it a try. Most say the bar oil/diesel mix only requires a drip every 2 to 3 seconds.

I've used water with Pinesol mixed for decent results on syp but it's nothing special. Not sure where your located, but if freezing is an issue some use a mix of windshield washer fluid with the water during the winter months.

Like Gene1605 says, a shot or two by hand works also. I've use cooking spray to clean/lub blades that start building up with pitch, it works.

blade lube

I purchased a set of the urethane belts to replace the B belts and they work good; sure a lot easier to put on the wheel.
I obviously applied too much of the bar oil and diesel mixture. I set it to work from a windshield washer motor and shot oil occasionally. I think the drip every two or three seconds sounds good.
I bought a manual mill because I like to make things and figured I would add things as I went along, but I have had to keep the mill so busy I don't have time. I used to run a blade mill, but retired and bought this little manual mill to play with. It keeps me hopping.
Thanks for the comeback and keep it coming it is 0 degree here and I make time to stay in by the fire and play on the computer.:blob2:

I dont think you are supose to use petrolium products with a band mill because it will eat the belts over time. the lysol or windshield washer fluid works good . make sure you put a bit of antifreeze in the lysol/h20 or it will freeze! Thats what I was told from a sawyer. I do this with my mill, which has a built in tank. I have not milled very much yet so this is not experence talking

I dont think you are supose to use petrolium products with a band mill because it will eat the belts over time. the lysol or windshield washer fluid works good . make sure you put a bit of antifreeze in the lysol/h20 or it will freeze! Thats what I was told from a sawyer. I do this with my mill, which has a built in tank. I have not milled very much yet so this is not experence talking

All of the blade manufacturers tell us to use diesel and chainsaw bar oil on the blades. This comes from Suffolk Machine and the malefactor of the band mill I run. I bought some blades from sterling and thats what they also said.

Having said that I also heard water is not a very good lube. I could not tell you that cause I use the diesel mixture. It works well on oak, cherry, walnut and pine. When I get another job on other wood I will post the results on pitch buildup.

Last edited:
I use straight water in the warm months and straight wiper fluid in the below freezing months with my woodmizer. Have never had an issue with pitch build up.

Is a malefactor supposed to be a southern word for manufacturer? I've used the word before, but certainly not in that context.:hmm3grin2orange:

band lub

Proper lubercation of sawmill bands will help extend the band life, but that said if the band wheel tires are soft and plyable enough and the band guides are positioned so that you dont have over tighten {stress } the band in order to cut properly then you can use little or no band lubercation. This leaves pitch build up. Some sawyers use nothing.
On some bandsaw mills the blades rarely break.

We do the exact same thing as Husky. I've been to Woodmizers shop and the only thing the guys asked is if were at least using some type of lube. They didn't seem to give the impression that it needed much else. We saw a lot of pine and the pitch build up is very minimal if present at all.

Latest posts

Back