Blake's hitch lock down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a distel in conjuction with a handled ascender on SRT is O.K. In fact, it makes the pantin useless since you can tie a loop for your foot directly to the ascender (which must also be connected to your saddle).
Personally, like Tom, I don't love SRT on a choked rope. I think it's preferable to use a separate access line tied at the bottom of the tree.

Sergio

I use a klemhiest in that position sometimes, but I have been told that there is a statisticaly significant chance;) of a friction hitch not locking if the upper ascender fails.

Better then nothing.

Also cammed ascender can be fowled into opening when going through a twiggy canopy. So be carefull when brush is near.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
tell us WHAT YOU ACTUALLY USE IN REAL LIFE

In real life I used to use a Petzl croll in a pure speleological fashion. The thing is that I am a footlock lover and now if I can't (or don't want to) make a throw for a doubled rope, I will use a "True Double Rope" and footlock up with my Kong double ascender. I will eventually start a new thread explaining how that works...

Sergio

Back up for kong double

Sergio

Might I ask what your using for a back up climbing a doubled rope with the kong double ascender? i assume that your footlocking the falling end. This is the same system I've been using. However I have not devised a backup that works well. I Can't find a beaner that fits through the top hole in the ascenders.
And both a prussic or kleimheist tied above the ascender greatly hinder its ease of sliding up the rope. Do you think a VT would grab a doubled rope well enough tied above the ascender should the ascender fail. I've also been thinking about tying the backup below the ascender but would i need two micro pullys to fair lead it.??? Any thoughts would help.

Corey

Lync,
Here's one option, although it's fairly pricey for a tender pulley.
http://www.gx.starvedrockoutfitters...mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=9765

After looking at the tools and ascenders available, and my own inability to footlock, I found the SRT technique using the Pantin in order to 'footlock' was the fastest, easiest and most cost efficient way for me to ascend into large trees. I couldn't imagine spending so much extra money in order to use a double rope system, not to mention the extra time to set up and then transfer to my doubled rope setup for working the tree. Maybe I'm missing something. But for the meantime I will stick with SRT for long ascents.

Originally posted by Ghivelder
Using a distel in conjuction with a handled ascender on SRT is O.K. In fact, it makes the pantin useless since you can tie a loop for your foot directly to the ascender (which must also be connected to your saddle).

I've been using the Petzl Ascension for a while now w/ the foot loop attached to it and also attached to my saddle. I find that the foot loop is attached too high causing me to have a harder time pushing myself up. Instead it's a half up half outward push. That wastes a lot of my energy. It works but tires my lazy @#$ out. I still haven't had a chance to try my new pantin, but my suspision is that since it's attached to the rope itself directly below me, I will get a more efficient thrust w/ my legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention. . .

when I get done w/ my ascent and am done w/ the foot loop, it's a dang pain in my rump b/c it's all in the way, snaggin' on everything around and what not. Guess I could get a ditty bag. I hope the pantin can stay on and not be in the way. Any pantin users leave it on after the ascent is done?

Mike,
My Pantin stays on whenever I'm trimming. It's especially handy on multiple lead trees where I need to go up and down a few times rather than working the whole tree on my way down. When I need to go back up a ways, I just use the Pantin on the tail of my lifeline rather than body thrusting. It takes a LOT less energy.
The Pantin is rarely in my way when not in use. Sometimes I have to rearrange my foot when standing in a tight crotch. Otherwise I forget I'm wearing it.

Mike,
I think that SRT, just like footlock, must be practised. The loop for your foot must be at the perfect height: as high as possible but still confortable, and at the same time, your outreached arm should be holding the ascender. The most important thing is to place your foot under your ass and then raise yourself in the same axis as the rope.
As for the Pantin, I think everyone if free to like it or not, but it must be thought of as a “footlock aider” and not as a part of a climbing system. If your system includes footlock, you can decide whether to use it or not. As Dan and 165 said, it makes more sense to use the Pantin in addition to a normal doubled rope friction hitch setup, then using it for SRT.

Corey,
I’m starting a new thread about backing up double ascenders.

Sergio

I'm sure I might want a more intense ascent system for longer ascents, like for recreational climbing of 150' and more. But the Pantin and one handled ascender (with proper backup for the ascender) works quite well for me on my normal ascents of 50' to 90'.
Like Sergio said, I do not consider my Pantin for life support. It is simply an aid so I can 'footlock' since I am completely unable to do so otherwise.

When I'm climbing the big trees 250'+ I use the frog setup, I think that's what you call it. A handled acender with a footloop that is also tied to my saddle, a mini traxion for back-up and a pantin on the other foot. I move each leg separately, instead of the sit/stand tech. The pantin is what makes it work so well, but it is most certainly just an assisting ascender.

Tried out my new gear. . .

Well, it was beautiful in N. Fla this last weekend and I put my days to good use. Did lots of climbing w/ my new gear. Anyone who had anything good to say about the Big Shot, well, you're darn right! ! ! I hit my target crotches very easily and way higher than I could ever hit before. I used my new ultra tech cord w/ spliced eyes (pg 15 Sherrill catalog) for my distel hitch. It was great b/c it didn't snug up too tight for me like the Blake's hitch did. The distel was used for my midline connection. I used my handled ascender also attached to my center D as my upper ascender and the Pantin as a crutch. To those of you who spoke so highly of the Pantin, Thank you! I LOVE IT! ! ! Like Brian (TC165) said, "Now I can practically run up the rope."
The Pantin aint no joke! Before anyone feels the need to go on a rant about safety, STOP! I know the pantin is NOT considered a life support device. Simply an aid in ascending. Anyway I climbed w/ a split tail using the distel, handled ascender and pantin. I also climbed SRT the same way. Had a ball tryin' this stuff out. Think I've found a winner! Thanks all for the help!
:blob2:

That's great to hear, Mike. I spent about $500 on different setups before coming up with that setup. As you get more comfortable and productive with it, you can explore other techniques and gear and develop the right setup for YOU!

Welcome to Advanced Climbing! :cool:

Brian, wish I could claim that set up as my idea! To bad you're the brains behind that rig, ha ha! I'm going to place an order real soon for more cord b/c at $28.00 a pop for the ultra tech cord, I'll be sittin road side begin for food!

I'd try a couple different cord options and find what you like. I have some of that SB that JPS gave me last month and it seems nice. Too bad the website is so difficult to navigate, and no pictures. You need to go in knowing exactly what you want.

I've also gotten 8mm Sta Set and T-900 from www.SailNet.com . Excellent website, service and free shipping. Always got shipments within 3 days, usually 2. Several of the New England ropes are on sale this month also.

Latest posts

Back