Blake's hitch lock down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knot groupings...

If you're starting with someone who isn't very knot-savy, i ALWAYS start with the square knot, show that a slight variation of this is how they (should) tie their shoes. Then I take two slings, girth hitch them together, show how the girth is the SAME as the square knot, then proceed with the rest.
It's just a small tip that can bring novice knotters right up to par with the rest of us!!!

love
nick

i started out climbing w/ the 3/1 distal
and see no reason for trying anything
else. the blake's and tautline are not
in my climbing vocabulary:D
get out and get climbing!!!!
budroe:cool:

Maas (not mASS) - what are your mystery hitches??:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can't even spell my name correctly and you want me to teach you a hitch?:)

One hitch I do like and that is worth trying, is one I saw Chisolm using back when he was climbing champ, three wraps and three twists, the three twists off the host line. My other favorite, one I keep going back to is the 3 wrap, 3 cross vt. Both tied with un-spliced 5/16" Ultra Tech.

I found a couple new hitches I will be trying out, so who knows, maybe next week these will be different. Altough I gotta say, I'm pretty happy now, I don't see much room for improvment.

Yo Mike,

One of my biggest problems with the family of hitches that you offer, is the amount of slack that must be pulled down to actuate the knot tending effects for ascending/ returning. Do you just accept that? Or have specific strategie(s) for addressing that?

I have tried to use a distel or schwabisch but find that no variations of them ever seem offer the same ease in slack tending as a VT.

Right now I'm using my own VT variant, four wraps, one crossover and then top tail half hitches onto the bottom tail. Makes it easier to tie and performs very well.

Hey Spydy, I know what you mean about the slack in the V.T.. I Love the ease with which it advances but don't like the slack take-up before advancement. I just made up a new tress cord out of 3/8 double braid secured with dbl fisherman's instead of splices. I made it so short that I could barely get it tied (this is on a lanyard so it won't come off until repacement). The shortened V.T. is much better but still has a little slop in the system.

I climb on a 3 wrap tres, wether mt, vt or xt I'm not sure.

I'll take the slight slop in it over the unloading responce any day.

My biggest problem when moving to it was the checking set when it was up against my body and leaning into it. Had it slip on me once and stopped my heart for a beat. had my lanyard in, but it was a suprise.

So, Mike-

How ya making out with the new setup so far? What have you tried? We want details! Share your findings so others can learn too. :angel:

Since last weekend I've only had time to climb once and I practiced foot locking (briefly, cause I was feelin' crappy). That FL is for the birds! ! ! I did make some progress. I can see how it would be great to learn and know and I don't plan on giving up on it. My technique is a little sour :( . I did place an order from Sherrill consisting of the BS, Pantin, and the Ultra Tech cord for trying out the distel. I've seen an overwhelming response to the BS and Pantin and I've been wanting them for a while anyhow. I figure I will climb on a split tail w/ distel hitch, my petzl handled ascender attached to my center D, and the Pantin to "cheat". I have been using the Petzl footpro stirup but I find that I push outward to much w/ it being attached to the upper ascender causing upper body fatigue and it just gets in the way too much when not in use! TC165, I like what you do by sending a running bowline up to your tip, climbing w/ your upper ascender, your friction hitch to center D, and your pantin. SRT IMNO (In My Newbie Opinion) is the way to ascend, it's fast and efficient. Then, when you reach the tip just lanyard in and untie your running bowline and retie to your center D and you've got your split tail climbing system, right?!?! Sounds like a weiner to me :D . I'll report how I like that system and the BS in 4 or 5 days after I get the order and can go play. For now I've got cabin fever workin' 40 hrs behind this frickin' desk. Can't wait to climb :blob2:

Got my ultra tech hitch cord, BS and Pantin in yesterday. Got here quick! I won't be able to try it out until this weekend but I did practice tying the distel and the french prusik. Both knots seem awsome and aren't too difficult to tie.

That's great to hear, Mike. Good luck with your new techniques, I'm sure it will enable you to be a better climber and Arborist. :)

Originally posted by mikecross23
I figure I will climb on ... my petzl handled ascender attached to my center D...

What do you use the handled ascender for?

Sergio

It's my upper ascender that has a handle to hold onto rather than holding the rope. It moves up the rope with hardly any resistance but locks down when weight is applied to it allowing you to pull yourself up. Click on the sherrill link at the top of the page and do a search for mechanical ascenders. I use the petzl right handed ascender (blue one) but have never tried any of the other ones.

Mike,
I think Sergio was testing you. ;) I believe he is a climbing instructor over in Italy, but I'm not certain. I do know that he can probably climb circles around just about anyone on this site.

I resisted buying a handled ascender for a while, but found it very handy for SRT ascents. Like you said, it is much easier to grab than the rope. I've only used two handled ascenders one time and find one handled ascender works just as well for me.

Always have a backup when using ascenders! Two is one and one is NONE! :angel:

I swear I wasn't testing anyone and like everyone else, I follow this forum to lurn new things and listen to new ideas...
--------------
I also have a petzl "ascension" and use it very occasionaly on SRT. Since you mentioned it just after a split tail with a distel, I thought you used it in conjuction with it and didn't understand how.
So, you mean you go up with SRT, then put away the ascender and change into your distel split tail, right?
Remember that as 165 said, the ascension plus only the pantin is not considered an acceptable practice.

Sergio

I thought that I could use a distel hitch as the midline connection, then when I reach my tip (like Brian mentioned in a previous post) my split tail is already tied and all I'll have to do is untie my choked bowline and tie the working end to my saddle (w/ biner of course). Anyone see any problem O's w/ this idea. I haven't tried it yet but sounds to be the most efficient easiest way I've found so far.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
WHat will you used for a lower ascender or redundancy in your SRT system?
I know others use different methods, but what I have found so far is the following:
The Petzl Mini-Traxion works very well but I have been criticized for using it since it isn't rated for 5000lbs. I believe the rating is in the 4000 lb range. It can also be somewhat cumbersome to install and remove from the line since the carabiner must be completely removed first. It does self-advance very nicely.

The Gibbs ascender is worthless for this since it will not self-advance. It also has "NOT FOR SELF-BELAY" stamped on the side.

I use my friction hitch for my backup. I have been criticized for this also since "If the ascender fails it can push down on the friction hitch, causing the friction hitch to slide". This is true, but I do not see this as an issue. The hitch will only slide as long as I continue pulling down on the top. IF the ascender fails, it can slip down and bump the hitch causing me to slip maybe a few feet at most. I am aware of this and find it 100% acceptable. I do not believe I could get the ascender to fail and jam on the hitch until I hit the ground. I would have to work real hard at it for this to happen, if I let go the hitch grabs.

All you other guys who use SRT, chime in with your suggestions for backup. Also tell us WHAT YOU ACTUALLY USE IN REAL LIFE, not just the 'politically correct' answers. JPS?

Back