Blowing sawdust off Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone who's ever used a chainsaw to mill knows how quickly the sawdust builds up. Normally I use my air compressor for a through cleaning but I worked until it was very late. Thinking I'd do a quick job before putting my saw away and finish cleaning it tomorrow I grabbed my leaf blower and a brush. The blower didn't have the long tube attached. Just brushing the saw and blowing it off with the leaf blower did a pretty good job. I'm penning this BECAUSE of two things. First. It's easy to toss a leaf blower in my trailer and before gassing or adding oil do a quick blow the saw around the oil and gas caps clean. AND second. Someone just might not have a good Air compressor on hand BUT might have a leaf blower. I'm glad I thought of this. One thing more. From experience, sometimes when we blow a saw off using any form of high velocity air ON SOME saws when you blow toward the saw from the muffler debris might find it's way under the top cover and around the carb area. I've found out that's the last place I clean before removing the air filter. I don't recommend blowing pressurized air on the air filter from the outside. It may be possible to blow fine dust through the filter and into the inside. I have found blowing ACROSS the filter moderately at a distance can benefit. But anyone who has just a blower and brush can do a pretty decent job of cleaning a saw. Every so often I'll remove the covers including pull rope and give my saw a good cleaning but any cleaning beats no cleaning. Good day.

LMAO! Im not real sure what we are talking about here! I was talking about cleaning the sawdust and crud off my saws. I usually take my pants off on the front porch and shake the sawdust off of them before coming inside the house.
I am with you. I just couldn’t resist. Sometimes I clean the saws diligently, and other times they stay grimy. Both my 361 and 500i get a lot of chips and dust under the air filter cover, so they get cleaned out with compressed air when I am back at the garage to sharpen chains.

LMAO! Im not real sure what we are talking about here! I was talking about cleaning the sawdust and crud off my saws. I usually take my pants off on the front porch and shake the sawdust off of them before coming inside the house.
You must live in a better neighborhood than me. I have to use the side door.
Ron

I tried using a blower/brush but it doesn't get the crud out from a lot of places and especially from under the clutch cover.
Our woods are often very resinous so when I finish cutting I run the saw long enough for the chain to get a liberal coating of oil.
If I leave the oil on the chain for a few hours, compressed air will usually blow the oil and resin off teh chain which makes a full sharpening a less dirty operation.

I usually take my saws home and park them on a stool outside my shop and drag a recoilable compressed air line out of my shop for a clean up.
2 of my mills can stand upright on pump up wheels, that bolt onto the ends of the mill rails, and single foot so, I can get at them from all sides.
upright.jpgtwo wheels and a single foot like arrangement so

Speaking of Pants. Am I the only guy that wipes his hands on his jeans. 😄😄😄😄😄😄. I need a sign. No smoking within 50 feet.
I don't have any jeans with a place to wipe my hands on anymore, all the "denim" is gone. I had to start putting a cloth through my belt loop to wipe my hands on. The denim is getting so cheap "Made in China" it's made for the yuppies to wear to work, and not for people that do real work. Just got a pair of pants from Duluth Trading because my brother sent me a gift card, they're expensive, but they are HEAVY THICK material, with lots of pockets, I would highly recommend them. No affiliation, but if you want to check them out, the model I bought was 92204 Fire Hose Relaxed Fit Cargo Work Pants, Made in USA. I will post a link, but warning, they are 100% cotton, and it doesn't say preshrunk, just got them Christmas and only worn once, so I don't know how much they will shrink yet. There's a 25% off sale going on right now.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/

I keep a 5 gallon bucket upside down near the air hose, shed door. Handy to set the saw on for cleaning. All my work benches have a spritzer bottle with mineral spirits (stoddard solvent). I spray the saw with mineral spirits before I hit it with the air hose. Bar oil is advertised as having "stickifiers" ;^) The older I get, the more often I clean my saws. Never opened a Stihl that didn't need the filter cleaned.

Back