Blue marble and carbon removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Blue marble oil in their saw? I had a small bottle lying around and decided to try it out in a leaf blower after reading about other people's experience with it. At least in this case my experience is the same as others, a reduction in carbon buildup and an increase in engine speed. The amount of carbon reduced was significant, from a fully covered piston to less than half in a matter of two tanks of gas. As far as an engine speed increase, a very slight amount.
Has anybody else had experience with this oil, or for that matter any other oil that removes carbon buildup inside your engine, my main interest.
Yeah I know, death, taxes and oil threads, but carbon buildup in some saws is a real concern.

Has anyone had any experience with Blue marble oil in their saw? I had a small bottle lying around and decided to try it out in a leaf blower after reading about other people's experience with it. At least in this case my experience is the same as others, a reduction in carbon buildup and an increase in engine speed. The amount of carbon reduced was significant, from a fully covered piston to less than half in a matter of two tanks of gas. As far as an engine speed increase, a very slight amount.
Has anybody else had experience with this oil, or for that matter any other oil that removes carbon buildup inside your engine, my main interest.
Yeah I know, death, taxes and oil threads, but carbon buildup in some saws is a real concern.
I've never had oil remove carbon and I've ran many oils.
A good percentage of the carbon comes from the gasoline your burning. The alkylate fuels with a good oil will burn very clean, but you will still have carbon if the saw isntuned properly. If you run your saw excessively rich the piston in time will be quashed clean.

I've never had oil remove carbon and I've ran many oils.
A good percentage of the carbon comes from the gasoline your burning. The alkylate fuels with a good oil will burn very clean, but you will still have carbon if the saw isntuned properly. If you run your saw excessively rich the piston in time will be quashed clean.
I've only had to remove carbon once from an exhaust port on my leaf blower. A buddy gave me some metal cans of Mercury 2 cycle outboard oil. At the time I had an old Simplicity 2 cycle snowblower and I used this old oil in it. I also ran this mix in my leaf blower. Over a few tanks in the blower I noticed it losing power, revving lower and slower. I pulled the muffler and the exhaust port was almost completely blocked with carbon. I've never had such a problem when using proper 2 cycle oils rated for air cooled engines.

I've had the same experience with Mercury 2-stroke oil, it really started gumming up a saw, lots of varnish deposits on the piston and cylinder. I avoided all tcw-3 oils after that, they're just not formulated for air cooled.
This leaf blower I've been using is tuned properly, the spark plug looks perfect. I don't know if it's because the oil is ashless and high detergent but I'll be switching to a different high quality oil to see if the reduction in carbon continues or starts building up again.
It would be nice to find an oil like Blue marble that works this well in my saws, something that isn't so expensive and so hard to find around here.

its 33 bucks a gallon on amazon for that blue marble
Run the leaf blower wide open throttle never at part and try not to idle it. When i get one thats sooty or carboned up i run a full tank through it locked at full throttle and it really cleans the carbon out then i change the plug.

I'm just imagining a blue marble getting knocked around in the combustion chamber and physically knocking the carbon off. I've never heard of a "cleaner" outside of seafoam, I'll have to remember this stuff.

I'm just imagining a blue marble getting knocked around in the combustion chamber and physically knocking the carbon off. I've never heard of a "cleaner" outside of seafoam, I'll have to remember this stuff.
I've tried Sea Foam in outboards before and it didn't dona thing.
The only products I have seen remove carbon are Mercury Marine Power Tune and GM Top Cylinder cleaner.

I've only had to remove carbon once from an exhaust port on my leaf blower. A buddy gave me some metal cans of Mercury 2 cycle outboard oil. At the time I had an old Simplicity 2 cycle snowblower and I used this old oil in it. I also ran this mix in my leaf blower. Over a few tanks in the blower I noticed it losing power, revving lower and slower. I pulled the muffler and the exhaust port was almost completely blocked with carbon. I've never had such a problem when using proper 2 cycle oils rated for air cooled engines.
Lawnboy 2 stroke oil in the steel cans was great for exhaust port plugging. Smoked like no tomorrow too.

Never heard of the Blue Marble , although never had much of a carbon issue since modern 2T oils replaced straight 30 at 16 : 1 . However if were talking diesels , oh yeah cleaned carbon fouling in that application lol.

Latest posts

Back