Blunt Force Trauma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you're okay! At least you still have your looks. :)

That's the reason I never work too far away from someone. Even if my wife just sits in the truck reading a book, at least there is someone that can make a phone call or drive. I did a lot of trail work a few years back and being 6-10 miles from the nearest road with only 2 or 3 other crew members it was easy to imagine what could happen.

Thank God you are alive.

:cheers:

Nice post Philbert but the real reason not to carry smokes in your hardhat is because your head sweats and it makes the smokes soggy and hard to light.

Everybody knows this, Philbert.

Come on Bob, everyone knows that you don't carry cigs in your hardhat because they will give you a heart attack. ;)

I went and got the projectile and realized it was bigger than I thought. I got hit by the small end. It seems it just gently 'kissed', me. Lol
John

Dang John,

That is the proverbial "Ugly stick". Looks like it was purpose built back in the day, by some medival war lord to gouge out eyeballs.
attachment.php

That Tree just plain didn't like you!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I went and got the projectile and realized it was bigger than I thought. I got hit by the small end. It seems it just gently 'kissed', me. Lol
John

Hey John I think you should keep it and turn it into a club to remind you of what it felt like when it hit you.

attachment.php

That stick may just be a little bigger than the one that got me but not by much. That is one ugly piece of stick no matter how you look at it and without a hardhat on you are one lucky sonna gun to have survived. Those long spikes on the small end are like spear tips, easily could have penetrated deep into any human body.
Good to see ya standing, looks a little chilly and not good for damaged skin to be exposed to that temp for too long at a time, Heal up well before spending too much time out there.
Pioneerguy600

attachment.php

That stick may just be a little bigger than the one that got me but not by much. That is one ugly piece of stick no matter how you look at it and without a hardhat on you are one lucky sonna gun to have survived. Those long spikes on the small end are like spear tips, easily could have penetrated deep into any human body.
Good to see ya standing, looks a little chilly and not good for damaged skin to be exposed to that temp for too long at a time, Heal up well before spending too much time out there.
Pioneerguy600
Jerry, I guess the only good thing about it was that all those spikes may have slowed down the speed of impact as I'm sure they hooked on other limbs on the way down.
It seems dead trees are alot more suspect to being chunked and flung in a dangerous way than green in most situations.
It's all in the luck of the draw I guess,
Was it hard or softwood that got flung at you Jerry?
John

Damn...glad to see you slipped by on that one!!! Quite a beauty mark it left ya with though. lol! I hate them stinkin pines, I labeled them shrapnel bombs along time ago.

Heal up quick Yuk! :cheers:

Yeah John, that cold is bad for you, get back to the fire, give it a few more days.
I collected 19 stitches on the noggin at one time, 8 on the forehead, the rest farther back. Just as I went to look up, I took a piece of DF bark off a snag, it was as big as a meat platter and over three inches thick, it fell maybe 30 feet. It crushed a month old tinhead into my scalp. I was at a Fed fire, they were at the bottom of the barrel, I was given a beardless boy right outta college, with a new shovel and a pisspump. I'm guessing he had visions of flow charts on his mind, he sure enough was worthless. He went all pale, while I was raging around wiping off blood, I shoved the tinhat back, which made the blood run down my back. I hate stitches in my head, they itch something fierce.

Yeah John, that cold is bad for you, get back to the fire, give it a few more days.
I collected 19 stitches on the noggin at one time, 8 on the forehead, the rest farther back. Just as I went to look up, I took a piece of DF bark off a snag, it was as big as a meat platter and over three inches thick, it fell maybe 30 feet. It crushed a month old tinhead into my scalp. I was at a Fed fire, they were at the bottom of the barrel, I was given a beardless boy right outta college, with a new shovel and a pisspump. I'm guessing he had visions of flow charts on his mind, he sure enough was worthless. He went all pale, while I was raging around wiping off blood, I shoved the tinhat back, which made the blood run down my back. I hate stitches in my head, they itch something fierce.
Hi Randy, I didn't linger outside too long, but I hear ya. I just put the flap of the muskrat hat down over the bad eye.
Glad you made it out of the bush ok, you were very lucky.
It seems that some sort of accident happens every four years and that something really bad happens just every decade or so, but those are just my personal statistics.
Obviously the more trees we chop the better we become, but the more we cut the more dangerous situations we encounter.
I've never been hurt by any large trees I have felled, it's always something 15" or smaller.
John

I averaged a work loss injury every year and a half, most were a week or two off, some were much longer. I was often victim to irresistible impulse and single jacked some extreme examples, some were miles away from anyone, I was lucky. My bro spent hours pinned under a Pepperwood, an 8 year old boy with his dog came by and give him the saw back to cut himself out. HR said the saw sat and idled until it ran through the tank, very frustrating to have it so close and out of reach.

Well Yukon, I don't have a story to tell and nor do I want one but glad we are hearing your story from you!

Only thing I can add is these pics sure are prettier than that infamous 088 pic... :p

Man, John, glad to hear you're OK, that had the potential to end up alot worse than it did. Heal up fast.

Back