Board drying question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I milled some Elm into boards 1 1/4 inches thick and 10 inches wide.

Is there a way to dry one of them enough to turn a section into a cutting board, by this Christmas with out wrecking them in the attempt?

My house has very low humidity due to the very drafty windows and forced air heat. So they would likely dry quickly in the house.

Thoughts, suggestions, how to?

Attachments

• IMG_20171128_154655[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20171128_142936[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
I'm just a newbie but id suggest getting them in a flat place (horizontally), stickering with narrow stickers... at least 3 stickers or every 18" of length (whichever uses more stickers), and putting a lot of weight on top of the boards. Your biggest challenge will probably be cupping, followed by twist.

Do you want to use them as single solid pieces, or cut strips and re-assemble, possibly with other types of wood mixed in (not necessary)? If the board cups you could still cut narrower strips and reassemble.

If it's freshly milled, you'll have issues as it dries out. You can always try. If you don't get good results, build another later with dry stock.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Stacking in a hot attic can speed up drying time but Christmas is pushing it. Try to use quarter sawn boards - much less likely to warp. Best way is to cut thinner strips - 1 to 1 1/4" wide and glue these faces together, then plane flat and cut to size.
woodscience_2.jpg

Is there a way to dry one of them enough to turn a section into a cutting board, by this Christmas with out wrecking them in the attempt?

My house has very low humidity due to the very drafty windows and forced air heat. So they would likely dry quickly in the house.

Thoughts, suggestions, how to?
Yes next Christmas you need to use dry wood to make nice stuff .

That fast answer is NO.

Drying them fast can be done, but not with good results unless you put them in a drying kiln and use a special drying schedule.

Just because your house is dry and you can dry the lumber fast, that isn't necessarily a good thing!

SR

Stacking in a hot attic can speed up drying time but Christmas is pushing it. Try to use quarter sawn boards - much less likely to warp. Best way is to cut thinner strips - 1 to 1 1/4" wide and glue these faces together, then plane flat and cut to size.
woodscience_2.jpg
That's a very good pic to explain the differences to beginners.

That fast answer is NO.

Drying them fast can be done, but not with good results unless you put them in a drying kiln and use a special drying schedule.

Just because your house is dry and you can dry the lumber fast, that isn't necessarily a good thing!

SR

What is a special drying schedule?

I've built piles of cutting boards, most salad ect. oils, just have fancy names for mineral oil, and mineral oil is what I always use...

Mineral oil is cheep, if bought under "that" name from K-Mart or other stores like that, you will find it in the pharmacy dept..

SR

I've built piles of cutting boards, most salad ect. oils, just have fancy names for mineral oil, and mineral oil is what I always use...

Mineral oil is cheep, if bought under "that" name from K-Mart or other stores like that, you will find it in the pharmacy dept..

SR
Thanks Rob

Latest posts

Back