book suggestion for 8 yr. old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churchie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, my eight year old is interested in learning more about plants and trees which is encouraging. Admittedly, there's not much I can teach (I can only id about 6 different trees), can anyone suggest a couple of nonfiction books for kids or newbie adults.

Thanks very much

My wife, a 3rd grade teacher, recommends Gail Gibbons for natural resource-related nonfiction which is on that reading level.

Project Learning Tree is also a great resource for learning about trees - especially for youngsters.

I also saw a book in Winsconsin called In Grandpa's Woods. Good educational book about foresty for kids. You can even download a copy of this one online at the link I provided.

Thanks for the info! This is a good thread to start. I had a 4th grade science teacher in the Green Local School system that really taught us, her students, a love for the outdoors and a good knowledge of nature. The Boy Scouts furthered my appreciation for our natural resources and I hope to foster that same love for the outdoors in my son, he is only 3.

Thanks, wow a lot to choose from by G.Gibbons. Hello Akron, looking at 4-8 in. today. . did the Scouts thing for years and years, probably can attribute the extent of my limited knowledge from . ..

Last edited:
I taught kids of all ages for 4 years at an environmental center and one thing I know is that kids love projects. Try making a book of tree leaves, or tap a maple tree and make maple syrup. I havn't made any yet but there is alot of simple ways to do it, and how cool would it be to have pancakes with the syrup you made at the end? Just some ideas for hands on outdoorsy stuff..... have fun.... Mike

Hi, new to the forum, my eight year old is interested in learning more about plants and trees which is encouraging. Admittedly, there's not much I can teach (I can only id about 6 different trees), can anyone suggest a couple of nonfiction books for kids or newbie adults.

Thanks very much

Welcome.
To help his interest along try this link

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/03/21/10-most-magnificent-trees-in-the-world/

this link for him to learn a little something

http://www.realtrees4kids.org/sixeight.htm

And for yourself, look into this great read: the botany of desire by michael pollan

enjoy

Latest posts

Back