Boots pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bstraub77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was wondering if any one can help with a good climbing boot for hot weather. And good pair of chainsaw proof pants for hot weather?
Thanks

I never thought of looking for hot weather boots,, and pants,,
Interesting,,,,,,,,,,
(I ONLY start a saw when it is cool enough to slow down the brown recluse spiders,,)

Luckily, I do not have to make a $$ with my saw,,,,,,,, :blob2:

I never thought of looking for hot weather boots,, and pants,,
Interesting,,,,,,,,,,
(I ONLY start a saw when it is cool enough to slow down the brown recluse spiders,,)

Luckily, I do not have to make a $$ with my saw,,,,,,,, :blob2:
Where you at with all the brown recluse?

Where you at with all the brown recluse?
Virginia,,, I have seen DOZENS this season,,
possibly because I know what to look for,, the small (less that a quarter coin) size, and the fiddle on the head.

My daughter had a branch drop out of a tree, (4-6 inch diameter out of a cherry tree)
within one week, the brown recluse spiders moved in and made the area under the branch "home".

I never wear gloves to pick up branches like that,, but, I did that day,
right next to where I grabbed the branch, TWO brown recluse spiders were located.
I do not think the gloves "saved me" or anything, the spiders never moved,, but,, who knows??
(THAT WHOLE area got sprayed!! LOL!!)

I have used more spray bottles of permethrin this year, than ever,,
If I am reaching under something, I either have gloves, or I have sprayed,

I mix my own permethrin spray from the 10% concentrate quart at Tractor supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz
About 3/4 of an ounce per quart of water in a spray bottle, two drops of DAWN Dish Detergent,,
no bugs survive that spray,,,

Virginia,,, I have seen DOZENS this season,,
possibly because I know what to look for,, the small (less that a quarter coin) size, and the fiddle on the head.

My daughter had a branch drop out of a tree, (4-6 inch diameter out of a cherry tree)
within one week, the brown recluse spiders moved in and made the area under the branch "home".

I never wear gloves to pick up branches like that,, but, I did that day,
right next to where I grabbed the branch, TWO brown recluse spiders were located.
I do not think the gloves "saved me" or anything, the spiders never moved,, but,, who knows??
(THAT WHOLE area got sprayed!! LOL!!)

I have used more spray bottles of permethrin this year, than ever,,
If I am reaching under something, I either have gloves, or I have sprayed,

I mix my own permethrin spray from the 10% concentrate quart at Tractor supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz
About 3/4 of an ounce per quart of water in a spray bottle, two drops of DAWN Dish Detergent,,
no bugs survive that spray,,,
Wow that doesn't sound fun trying to avoid those. Thanks for all the info and stay safe.

Wow that doesn't sound fun trying to avoid those. Thanks for all the info and stay safe.
They may have always been there, but, I never looked for them, before.
My daughter got nailed by one in her basement of her new home,,,
a slightly painful red "bullseye",,
no DR needed, but, she decided to spray the basement.

In the last two-four years, I have seen black widows for the first time.
We have been here 40 years,,,

My sister has them 250 miles east of here, but, I never thought about them being here.
The black widows are here,,, NOW!!

Also, 10 years ago we did not have the TIGER mosquitos,, they are here,, now.
That mosquito is so large you can see the stripes on it, hence the name.

I had to deal with those mosquitos when cultivating on my sisters farm,,
I swear, they tried to take me off the tractor.
(when cultivating the first time, you gotta drive REAL slow, the plants are so small,,,)

In southwest Wisconsin, I got nailed by a Brown Recluse 15 years back. Dr. at the ER said we didn't have them.... I sprayed the bunch and took them in, sure changed his tune. I was picking up an armload of firewood. Wife got bit by one that came north with some nursery trees, back 30 years ago, in Rockford. Again, meds said, 'no way'. Her mom, a nurse, recognized the bullseye and bubbly blisters. I still have a dime sized hard spot under the skin, can find it right now!!.

Bifen IT will get them Brown Recluse and scorpins plus others.
It's really good for around wood piles inside shops and house. Lasts long time inside where not exposed to rain. Seems to soak into concrete floors and will kill spider/bugs several months later.
No odor and no visible residue.
You can read about and buy it on-line and most co-op's and tractor supply.
mix is 1oz per gallon and no need in stronger mix. Measure is built into the jug.
Read the instructions. Toxic to cats when wet and if they lick when wet and fish tanks.

Tempo sc ultra by Bayer has worked to keep the ticks spiders and other stuff out of my yard at my house in the woods. Seen a lady next door get bit by brown recluse spider, dang near lost her whole leg, it turned purple black and she was hospitalized

Tempo sc ultra by Bayer has worked to keep the ticks spiders and other stuff out of my yard at my house in the woods. Seen a lady next door get bit by brown recluse spider, dang near lost her whole leg, it turned purple black and she was hospitalized
At an ROTC summer camp at Ft. Riley, KS, in 1968, a fellow got bit on the butt cheek by a Recluse in his sleeping bag. He didn't want to tell or go on medical. So , TWO WEEKS later, he was taken in by a friend.... they froze a chunk the size of a mixing spoon, bigger than a table spoon by a bunch. Scooped out the frozen stuff, patched him up and sent him home for stupidity. Guy who saw it was amazed. First time I ever heard of the Brown Recluse and it sure left a bad impression. God bless.

Guy who saw it was amazed. First time I ever heard of the Brown Recluse and it sure left a bad impression.

The most amazing thing is the TINY size of the spider.
The thing is (including its legs) smaller than a quarter,, which is less than 1 inch,,
We tend to worry if the spider is large,,
The black widow spiders I have run across are also small.
At least the Black widow spiders I have seen are glossy shiny,, which makes you fear them a little mores.
The Brown Recluse looks like any other small brown spider you have ever seen in a corner,,

I use Lowa Camino GTX for any weather climbing and I'm really happy with them. Carolina's with a steel shank if using spurs.

Back