bought a 2010 husky 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My humble opinion base on 455 experience...get a 18" or 20" inch bar, match the muffler and heat shield to the exhaust port. Open up the muffler...re tune and make some noise! I have a 455 and noticed muffler mods make a tangible difference on my saw. I'll let the experts try and give the best direction on how to approach those mods...I am NOT an expert...so i did the following on one:

picture.php

picture.php

I will say one thing...expect to smoke your saw if you play this game without paying attention to the plug color & carb tuning. Start rich and back off to finding a clean tan spark plug after a hard cut & plug check...and I repeat: I did this for fun & games. There are folks who really know how to build a saw and I'm not one of them! So listen to them and look at what I did for chits and grins!

Last edited:
any thing other than a good bar and chain will probably void your warranty.just something to consider before modding.

Very true, but I think most people who are willing to mod their saws are way past worrying about warranties, don't you? Think I'm going to bring that muffler back to complain about how loud it is?:cry:

best performance mod you could make take it back and buy a stihl....lol

NO, just needs to get a XP, the stihl would cost too much. I love both my stihls, but they were free.

Mod the muffler and put a 20 inch bar on her. When you drill a hole in the muffler remember to tune the carb a lil richer on the H screw. GOOD LUCK -Matt

Back