Bought a 385

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got my new 385 w/ a 28 inch bar today. I put the full wrap handle on and the bar and chain, is there anything I should check out before I fire it up? Where should the oiler be set at? The manual says it should be 4 turns out but it doesn't seem to have a closed position, am I doing something wrong? I am pretty excited to get it started and see how it cuts.

The manual says to run 50:1 gas but should I go 40:1 for the first few tanks to help the break in?

I don't know what to expect from it, this is my first new saw. The old pioneer P-50 that I have seems to be about as heavy.

I decided to go the with internet instead of a dealer. I read alot of posts on here about it and wanted to go with a dealer but he wanted 200 dollars more. When I went in to the shop he didn't seem to know any more than I did, he didn't know what a 372 was and said the saw was setup from the factory and they didn't do anything to them.

This site has been a great help to a newbie. Thanks for any help, Jake

I got my new 385 w/ a 28 inch bar today. I put the full wrap handle on and the bar and chain, is there anything I should check out before I fire it up? Where should the oiler be set at? The manual says it should be 4 turns out but it doesn't seem to have a closed position, am I doing something wrong? I am pretty excited to get it started and see how it cuts.

The manual says to run 50:1 gas but should I go 40:1 for the first few tanks to help the break in?

I don't know what to expect from it, this is my first new saw. The old pioneer P-50 that I have seems to be about as heavy.

I decided to go the with internet instead of a dealer. I read alot of posts on here about it and wanted to go with a dealer but he wanted 200 dollars more. When I went in to the shop he didn't seem to know any more than I did, he didn't know what a 372 was and said the saw was setup from the factory and they didn't do anything to them.

This site has been a great help to a newbie. Thanks for any help, Jake

Damm good saw choice there newbie...Just run your gas at the recomended 50:1...It will be just fine..The 385 in stock trim is a very strong saw...It drinks alot of gas,but it's very torquey and should handle anything you can throw at it....I love mine,and plan on buying a couple of new ones very soon

:D Right on, Jake! 28" and a full-wrap, you're ready for war! You should like your 385, lots of good press about them. So much positive press that I was tempted - so I just picked up a used one from a guy on another site...should be here within the week.

As far as set-up, set the carburetor at factory specs listed in your manual. I suggest runnng 40:1 at all times - I think 50:1 is an EPA ploy...a little extra oil never hurt. Run a good oil - Mobil MX2T is a favorite of many on here, I personally run Klotz R-50 full synthetic because that is what I run in my dirtbike.

Where in ID?

Let me know what you think of that 390...I'm curious about that one.

Will let you know. I have been curious about this one for about 6 months now. I haven't really heard from anyone that had one. So I just took the jump. Wife is going to fire me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

390xp

had a 390 xp for about a month now, bought to fill the gap between 575xp and 3120 (damned AS addiction), Really strong out of the box with amazing torque, over here i run a 24" b+c as it`s mostly Ash, beech and sycamore but even with the bar burried it never slows. As mentioned with 385 it does get rather thirsty but in comparison to what it cuts it more than makes up for it. Basically a BB 385 Awesome saw! good luck with yours BookerD

Congrats on the 385, you will like it alot.

I run mine at 40:1 with Mobil 2T just for a little extra insurance.

As far as the oiler goes, are you sure about 4 turns out from closed? I run mine at about 2 turns out with a 28" B&C. One way to tell is to fire it up and put it in wood, if it seems to cut dry turn your screw counter clockwise and open the oiler up a bit until you get suitable results.

Chuck

Re read my manual and it does say to run the oiler at 4 turns out.

Checked my saw, and it was 3 turns out with the 28 on it that I last cut with. It oiled fine though, I actually thought that it was a little gooshy. I do remember that my bar oil had been sitting where it was warm though, so factor in the temp and all that also.

Chuck

had a 390 xp for about a month now, bought to fill the gap between 575xp and 3120 (damned AS addiction), Really strong out of the box with amazing torque, over here i run a 24" b+c as it`s mostly Ash, beech and sycamore but even with the bar burried it never slows. As mentioned with 385 it does get rather thirsty but in comparison to what it cuts it more than makes up for it. Basically a BB 385 Awesome saw! good luck with yours BookerD

You are the first one I have heard from that has one. Yes damned AS addiction. I need to go through rehab:hmm3grin2orange:

Not following the manufacturer's instructions could void the warranty. Don't take chances. Great choice! Let's seem some pics of it in action.

50:1 or 40:1 or ???
Well I have run mine saw's on 50:1 all years, even the Partner/Poulan that call for 40:1 and never had any problems related to the mix. I think that if you use good gas and mix oil you will be on the safe side whit 50:1, but you have a problem "over there" cos some of your gas seems to be almost like "moonshine" and that can't be good for any small high RPM engine.
:cheers:

Last edited:
50:1 or 40:1 or ???
Well I have run mine saw's on 50:1 all years, even the Partner/Poulan that call for 40:1 and never had any problems related to the mix. I think that if you use good gas and mix oil you will be one the safe side whit 50:1, but you have a problem "over there" cos some of your gas seems to be almost like "moonshine" and that can't be good for any small high RPM engine.
:cheers:

I believe you are on the trace of something, regular gas is 95 octane, and Premium is 98 octane here, 92 octane is availiable at a few stations, but not usual at all.

The old Jreds 621 "calls" for 1:25, but has been run on 1:50 Aspen Alky/Synthetic Gas/Oil premix for lots of years, with no apparent ill effects....

Back