Bought a 576 AT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stmonnat

stmonnat

ArboristSite Operative
Have not got it yet won't be in till the seventh not sure yet on the bar but I will tell you I can't Waite to get it I have been wanting one for quite some time now

stmonnat

stmonnat

ArboristSite Operative
Sorry not understanding the lingo but I use my saw mostly for blocking on a pile of logs and would just like to say sorry to mingo this is his thread and I have enjoyed reading it it's nice to hear how a saw is working in a work environment

mingo

mingo

ArboristSite Operative
Around here most of the loggers use a 20" bar with Lg or Lp chain, they all look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I use a 24" bar with full skip or semi skip chain. Quite a few of them never heard of skip or semi skip chain.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
A bushel , as refered to by a west coast timber fallers is 1,000 board feet , woods scale . Scribner or Doyal . . A bushler gets paid by how much he cuts . The more he cuts the more he makes .

Basically bushlin is piece work . Wether you are cutting by the k bf , cord , ton , acre ect . Or by the stump inch . Boy do I hate stump inch ( penny inch) .
Day wage is having an hourly wage . So if your wasteing time hung up , or beatin wedges you are still making wages .

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Around here most of the loggers use a 20" bar with Lg or Lp chain, they all look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I use a 24" bar with full skip or semi skip chain. Quite a few of them never heard of skip or semi skip chain.

Ya , a 24 is a good length . To short for my back tho . A 30" bar is a good comprimise for timber falling up hete . On the coast 32,34+36" bars are most common .
My favorite chain is Oregon 75 CKX . However its not made anymore . I'll probably run 404 semi skip if I go cutting in southeast .

Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite

I run both. 20" on the 357 and 372, 24" on the 576. I too get the strange looks when I mention the 24" bar.

gsg

ArboristSite Operative
I guess I always stuck to the 20 inch because I can still get the chains for $10 a piece if I get a case of 30. I had a 25 inch bar on a 660 stihl once but the extra file time and $ per chain was not worth it to me, but I can see where they would be handy at times.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well the thing is you can cut a quite a bit inch wise with a twenty

Ya , if you are in small wood and can get around the tree or log . But if the ground gets steep or the wood gets big you have a problem . I can't see any reason to run a bigger saw than 70 or so ccs if you run a 20" bar . I've fell alot of timber with a 20" bar and it is just quite unsatisfying . Harder to get in a good face more of a problem getting in the back cut and considerably more danger from kick back . Plus with a long bar you need a Sharp saw as you do most of your cutting with the tip end of the bar . A Sharp saw is a fun saw . All there is to it !!