Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Au contraire

Any brand having "safety features" isn't going to work as well as chain that doesn't

I ran a loop of some kind of Oregon safety chain on my Sears Pro Yellow Max 40cc saw. I ordered a 16 inch bar and 56 DL Woodsman Pro 30LP from Baileys, and it turned out I needed a 57 DL chain. I took the stock loop down to my local saw shop and had him make me a 57DL loop out of it. It cut better than I remember safety cutting. It wasn't 30 LP by any stretch, but I think safety chain is falling into the same argument that this thread is trying to dispose the myth of.

The 5020 wasn't made for guys on this website!!! The guy that this saw is intended to be sold to is going to run it may be 2 hrs in 2 years. When the chain goes dull, this guy won't even remember when he bought the saw and he's going down to Sears or Lowes to get a new loop and if he's lucky the girl thats working that Sunday won't give him the wrong chain. This safety chain talk is starting to sound like the oil threads.

I would actually like to get one of the new pp5020s, albeit with a different chain. They seem good value so far, based on the reports. Frankly, I am liking all the poulans I am touching so far, from oldest to newest. I keep going to other makes/models and invariably they are harder to work on, and the poulans seem to cut just as well or better, and are cheaper, with widescale parts availability except for the real old models.

When you consider what the next step up is in price into the 50 Cc or near to it class, say a 445 or 55 rancher, around there, still being sold as a lowly "home mortgage payer" level saw, at twice the price, or a "pro" version being three times the price, well..are they *really* worth all that more in price due to some quality features present?

I can't answer that, just don't know. And this saw just hasn't been out long enough for anyone to know that yet, or speak on it with any authority. I'd like to see some reviews were it was taken out on the job in a professional setting, just to see how long they would last. Yes, most likely with a smaller bar and different chain.

I am thinking with this saw, plus the reports you really can run them with the stock settings, and the muff is already open, and a strato design that apparently meets all EPA regs without having a closed cat can, etc, is leading me to believe Poulan might have turned a corner and is on the way back to making competitive saws.

I mean, who knows? Maybe a coupla years ago they were sitting around poulan intergalactic headquarters and some dude piped up "You know guys, this building saws really ain't rocket surgery, there's no law says we *have* to build crap saws. Let's try one a little better quality like in the olden days, price it well below big orange brother here and..them other guys, the ones with the mercedes and beemers and overstuffed wallets..., and see what happens".

This safety chain talk is starting to sound like the oil threads.

Exactly!

It really has nothing, nada, zip to do with the theme of this thread. Dont like the chain? Buy a new on of your choosing.

Homeowner Joe will probably have the original 72V chain trashed beyond repair after the first or second outing anyway. Like I said earlier, at least it dont come with a chain like they send MS290's out the door with.

attachment.php

My 5020 will be going to its new owner Wednesday and I think it will suit him just fine. He takes it to his cabin in Wis and will use it to clean up the every so often blow down and cut a few wheelbarrows of fire wood now and then. As long as he drains the fuel out of it between uses it should work out well for that type of user for sure.

Exactly!

It really has nothing, nada, zip to do with the theme of this thread. Dont like the chain? Buy a new on of your choosing.

Homeowner Joe will probably have the original 72V chain trashed beyond repair after the first or second outing anyway. Like I said earlier, at least it dont come with a chain like they send MS290's out the door with.

attachment.php

This home owner JOE throws that $H!+ right in to the scrap barrel when it shows up on a saw!:rock:

Exactly!

This home owner JOE throws that $H!+ right in to the scrap barrel when it shows up on a saw!:rock:

:ices_rofl: Me too!

The Vanguard chain aint looking so bad compared to this as far as I'm concerned anyway.

We installed a coffee machine at Lowes last week, while i was there I got to at least pick one up. I liked the feel of the saw a lot. Nice looking too. Compared to the 455 right next to it the decision is even easier.

Exactly!

attachment.php

Hey Joe, is that 26RMC3 chain? If you have a good loop of it in .050 gauge maybe we could work out a deal . I'd like to try it on my 45cc Solo.

Yeah its sold.

I never really had plans to keep it to begin with, just wanted to check one out first hand.

Oh....I was going to ask you to pull the jug and post the construction of the rod. Forged or stamped?

Interesting witness marks on the depth gauges! I would be nice to have a progression of them on all chains! No guessing....just file down to the next mark! Oregon.... you out there listening? I'm going to send a PM to the Oregon engineer that's on here for the PowerSharp.

228628d1331605652-stihl-safety-chain-custom-jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion Stihl makes the best chain.I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I mostly run 3/8" full comp. round chisel.
That said, I don't think that saw should have came with a 20" bar or 3/8" chain.An 18" with .325 would have been better.Just one opinion.

Maybe that's partly justification for the bar actually being 19". ;)

Anybody else remember when bar length specs could be verified by the tape? :msp_confused:

I don't know about all the "extra" stuff here, but I'll be darned glad when Randy finishes porting the one he got and we see how they COULD be!!!!!

Mike

I myself am waiting to see what Randys ends up like. :rock:

Tell you what, before yesterday I had no real experiance with a Husky 455 rancher. I got to fix the oiler on one, rebuilt the carb etc on it. Then I muffler modded it and got to run it some.

Not bragging on the 5020 but for $200 less then the Rancher, it would be a easy decision for me to make between the two thats for sure.

I didnt care much for that Rancher at all.

I myself am waiting to see what Randys ends up like. :rock:

Tell you what, before yesterday I had no real experiance with a Husky 455 rancher. I got to fix the oiler on one, rebuilt the carb etc on it. Then I muffler modded it and got to run it some.

Not bragging on the 5020 but for $200 less then the Rancher, it would be a easy decision for me to make between the two thats for sure.

I didnt care much for that Rancher at all.

Got one of each. Like 'em both. 455r has much better air-filter sealing- resorted to a bead of silicone on the PP5020. 455r also seems to have much better air pre-filtering (cyclone effect). Adjustable oiler a + also. Of course, I got a refurb 455r for $307- not rubbing it in, mind you.

PP5020 is still breaking-in/loosening-up at 5+ tanks. Main mixture is richened slightly from factory-setting as it breaks in. IME slow break-in means long life. :msp_wink:

Got one of each. Like 'em both. 455r has much better air-filter sealing- resorted to a bead of silicone on the PP5020. 455r also seems to have much better air pre-filtering (cyclone effect). Adjustable oiler a + also. Of course, I got a refurb 455r for $307- not rubbing it in, mind you.

PP5020 is still breaking-in/loosening-up at 5+ tanks. Main mixture is richened slightly from factory-setting as it breaks in. IME slow break-in means long life. :msp_wink:

Let me rephrase that. I dont care that much for the way the Rancher was put together. PITA to get the carb out and from the looks of it you would need to tear alot of that saw apart to even think about replaceing the impulse line on it.

Wait till refurb 2050's start showing up at probably $150 or so. Will still be half the price of a 455 then. :msp_biggrin:

phew!!!!

that was a long read myeyes are getting squinty LOL.. nice job mark i will have to check these out.... but im pretty happy with the like new pp295 i got a few months back .. but will be waitin to see one of these on CL for 50 bucks that has a gummed:msp_rolleyes: carb *GRINS*

Exactly!

attachment.php
That chain right thar can be modded in 2-3 minutes on a bench grinder. Goodby safety features. been there, done that.

Latest posts

Back