Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking with this saw, plus the reports you really can run them with the stock settings, and the muff is already open, and a strato design that apparently meets all EPA regs without having a closed cat can, etc, is leading me to believe Poulan might have turned a corner and is on the way back to making competitive saws.

I mean, who knows? Maybe a coupla years ago they were sitting around poulan intergalactic headquarters and some dude piped up "You know guys, this building saws really ain't rocket surgery, there's no law says we *have* to build crap saws. Let's try one a little better quality like in the olden days, price it well below big orange brother here

I think you're on to something here Zogger. I just found out over the weekend that the Jonsered handheld blower that I bought 2 seasons ago is in fact a Poulan. I never read the tags with my glasses on to see what factory it came from, my Mower guy saw it in my truck the other day and told me, (yelled at me) that that what it is. I demoed the Echo blower that he sold, and did the same with the Jonsered, and I thought the Johny was better. I thought it worked better and deffinately felt better in my hands. I have carpal tunnel problems so fealing better is important.

He's also a Jonsered dealer and at the time didn't stock the blower that I bought. He doesn't like selling them because'' its only an EPA rated 50 hour motor.'' Well I didn't want to tell him that the thing should be dead then cause I've run it through its paces. I use it to dry my motorcycle, and dry the critters that I trap before I skin them. Kinda like an industial strength hair dryer, along with a little landscaping work now and then. My reveiw is an A+ FOR SURE! I've never touched the carb settings, and its run great since new. It starts easy but does take 20 seconds to warm up when cold started.

My only disappointment now will be if I find out that the yellow Poulan model could've been bought for less dough. I think I payed $139 for it new.I got a discount cause it was the dealer demo at that time. May be Poulan is turning the corner on there product. I'm wondering what there string trimmers are like. I'm in the market for a back-up

I bought two Pouland PP335 trimmers on sale last August for $99/ea and opened the mufflers and retuned them, one has seen limited use but the other one has been used beyond commercially as a loaner and not had any issues. They are a nice unit and all the popular attachments fit their quick link assembly.

Curiosity is killing this cat. Now I gotta look up those Poulan blowers and see what they're going for. $99 for a good trimmer is a great deal. Those older Poulan/Craftsman trimmers from about 8 years ago were junk. My X Wife bought one and it never ran right.

I am thinking with this saw, plus the reports you really can run them with the stock settings, and the muff is already open, and a strato design that apparently meets all EPA regs without having a closed cat can, etc, is leading me to believe Poulan might have turned a corner and is on the way back to making competitive saws.

I mean, who knows? Maybe a coupla years ago they were sitting around poulan intergalactic headquarters and some dude piped up "You know guys, this building saws really ain't rocket surgery, there's no law says we *have* to build crap saws. Let's try one a little better quality like in the olden days, price it well below big orange brother here

I think you're on to something here Zogger. I just found out over the weekend that the Jonsered handheld blower that I bought 2 seasons ago is in fact a Poulan. I never read the tags with my glasses on to see what factory it came from, my Mower guy saw it in my truck the other day and told me, (yelled at me) that that what it is. I demoed the Echo blower that he sold, and did the same with the Jonsered, and I thought the Johny was better. I thought it worked better and deffinately felt better in my hands. I have carpal tunnel problems so fealing better is important.

He's also a Jonsered dealer and at the time didn't stock the blower that I bought. He doesn't like selling them because'' its only an EPA rated 50 hour motor.'' Well I didn't want to tell him that the thing should be dead then cause I've run it through its paces. I use it to dry my motorcycle, and dry the critters that I trap before I skin them. Kinda like an industial strength hair dryer, along with a little landscaping work now and then. My reveiw is an A+ FOR SURE! I've never touched the carb settings, and its run great since new. It starts easy but does take 20 seconds to warm up when cold started.

My only disappointment now will be if I find out that the yellow Poulan model could've been bought for less dough. I think I payed $139 for it new.I got a discount cause it was the dealer demo at that time. May be Poulan is turning the corner on there product. I'm wondering what there string trimmers are like. I'm in the market for a back-up

The EPA rating only indicates how long the polution levels the motor will operate at and still meet EPA emissions standards. It has nothing to do with motor longevity.

The EPA rating only indicates how long the polution levels the motor will operate at and still meet EPA emissions standards. It has nothing to do with motor longevity.

I'm aware of that. Funny thing is if I knew it was a Poulan I probably wouldn't have bought it at all.

I mean, who knows? Maybe a coupla years ago they were sitting around poulan intergalactic headquarters and some dude piped up "You know guys, this building saws really ain't rocket surgery, there's no law says we *have* to build crap saws.

I take credit for this new saw. In 2008 I wrote to Poulan complaining about how they don't have any good products anymore and that they need to make a 50cc saw that can compete with the Husqvarna 350. No silly names, no purple or bright green colors, just a nice, basic 50cc saw. And look, that's what they made!

P.S. I don't *actually* take credit, but it is cool that I wrote asking for this and a few years later they made it.

Lots of interesting reading here for sure,thanks Mark and others.
I googled it just out of curiosity to see who carried it north of the border and for how much.Given US and CDN basically par,I came up with this...... http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=poulan%20pro%205020&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CIQBEBYwCA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sears.com%2Fshc%2Fs%2Fp_10153_12605_SPM5876930407P%3FprdNo%3D3&ei=PEecT_rQKYipgwftk6WZDw&usg=AFQjCNHQu6PUbJUtz7xVP0U7VXI5dKHeLQ&cad=rja

$425 big ones:msp_scared: I think for that kind of $$ I'd be putting a little with it and looking elsewhere.

I googled it just out of curiosity to see who carried it north of the border and for how much.Given US and CDN basically par,I came up with this...... http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=poulan%20pro%205020&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CIQBEBYwCA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sears.com%2Fshc%2Fs%2Fp_10153_12605_SPM5876930407P%3FprdNo%3D3&ei=PEecT_rQKYipgwftk6WZDw&usg=AFQjCNHQu6PUbJUtz7xVP0U7VXI5dKHeLQ&cad=rja

$425 big ones:msp_scared: I think for that kind of $$ I'd be putting a little with it and looking elsewhere.

lowes has em for 219

That's silly. You can't get it online from amazon or ebay for 200 and have it shipped? Or do they ding you 100% import duty or something?

Duties would be killer for sure-they always are.I was just curious what they were worth up here.It's interesting how that ad says "Husqvarna Poulan" though.Makes it sound more pro I assume.

Look at the site a little closer and notice this in the lower left corner. 50 cc 20" Gas Chain Saw - Case Included- Craftsman-Lawn & Garden-Handheld Power Tools-Chain Saws I'm pretty sure it's the same saw with a different name. comes with a case just to bug the PoulanPro buyers.

There's an eBay seller, taddwholesale, that regularily lists the Craftsman version of the Poulan Pro 5020. They're used, basically untested, usually come with the case, and tend to go for $70-$90 with about $30.00 shipping. They also currently have a PP5020 listed.

Their eBay listings don't give a lot of info, so you would need to check the photos, ask questions, and make a judgement call.

Note--One their Craftsman/Poulan 5020s recently went for $130.00 + shipping :dizzy:.

Maybe that's partly justification for the bar actually being 19". ;)

Anybody else remember when bar length specs could be verified by the tape? :msp_confused:

I am pretty sure you are right about it being closer to 19" than to 20", since it takes only 70dl.

Too much on that saw anyway, 16" and .325 sounds much better! :msp_wink:

I am pretty sure you are right about it being closer to 19" than to 20", since it takes only 70dl.

Too much on that saw anyway, 16" and .325 sounds much better! :msp_wink:

I agree but if you seen, getting a .325 drive spocket for one seems to be the big problem. Nice it has the K095 bar mount and the saw run really well with a 16" 3/8s setup so its not really that big a deal.

70DL on a 20" has been standard on a Poulan forever.

Latest posts

Back