Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eBay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/360489858016?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Just type in Poulan splined tool and they pop up in the search, or carb tool.

Ran the saw all afternoon again today, cut up a bunch more garbage, and I must say, it ran very well once it warmed up. I'm certain it's running rich as hell. Once in awhile it just dies if I let off the throttle after a tough cut. Fires up again, but it's like it just isn't seeing the quite the right mixture. Montreal is pretty close to sea level - I'm up in the plains/foothills of Alberta, so the air is significantly thinner up here.

Ordered a Carlton full chisel chain for it too, so once that shows up, I'll do a side by side with the MS271 and see which saw has more oomph.

Last edited:

Wow...21 pages and probably still going!...A long, interesting and occasionally divergent thread!...Love to see guys chime in w/their opinions on what kind of saw they can actually use...One that works for them...Somehing geared for the homeowner/occasional wood cutter, regardless of brand...Really a good thread where people comment on their real saw uses. I have an old MM'd MS 310 (20", 3/8), that cuts what I need for firewood but would love a second, smaller saw, just to have and use for things other than serious bigger stuff. Ok, it's not the 35-40cc saw I thought I'd like to have but w/the right bar/chain and for the money it'd do eh?... So for the money I'm looking at a usable saw, maybe w/a 16" bar and 3/8" chain that would do smaller stuff/trim and just be a nice saw to use knowing that it's not supposed to be a monster in hiding. And for the money, and set up right, the 5020 might get me a nice second saw. Doesn't seem like it needs much in the way of modding except maybe opening up the exhaust exit and playing w/the carb H/L/I screws...maybe not much at all. Might be somewhat of a sleeper for occasional use. And, geez, the price for a new saw is pretty good. Yes, CAD is part of this too...But it would fit a need.

Last edited:
I started off with a Stihl MS 170 for trimming and the 5020 is my bigger saw.
Since my cottage is in a remote location, I haul the 170 around in the car or truck in case a tree is blocking the road.

I believe Im gonna get me one of the 5020 poulans. I haven't seen any smoked the 5020 yesterday threads. It doesnt seem as though they are adjusted for self distruction from the factory. They need to put the flathead screw jets back in the carbs. A chainsaw shop told me they'd get a fine if they gave me an adjusting tool.

Last edited:
I believe Im gonna get me one of the 5020 poulans. I haven't seen any smoked the 5020 yesterday threads. It doesnt seem as though they are adjusted for self distruction from the factory. They need to put the flathead screw jets back in the carbs. A chainsaw shop told me they'd get a fine if they gave me an adjusting tool.

Find another saw shop.

I'll bet that it is MUCH lower than that!
I'd be surprised if the "AVERAGE" is over an hour (of saw run time) per year.

For every one of us who usually cut 15-20 cords per year there are hundreds of homeowners who have a brand new 10 year old saw in their garage that has never been started.

Mike

And some of those hardly used/sitting in the garage saws turn out to be very interesting models for guys like us. :clap:

... They need to put the flathead screw jets back in the carbs. A chainsaw shop told me they'd get a fine if they gave me an adjusting tool.

Find another saw shop.

The saw shop wasn't lying to you. I was told the same the thing at a shop, & the mechtech directed me to a nearby tool shop that sold the spline tool ($9.99 + tax, about $10.80 total). Somewhere here on AS there is a link to the memo sent out by Husqvarna mentioning a fine for selling the spline tool to the public.

Oh, OK, I found it:

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HBUS/HBUS2010/HBUS2010_530035560.pdf

The saw shop wasn't lying to you. I was told the same the thing at a shop, & the mechtech directed me to a nearby tool shop that sold the spline tool ($9.99 + tax, about $10.80 total). Somewhere here on AS there is a link to the memo sent out by Husqvarna mentioning a fine for selling the spline tool to the public.

Oh, OK, I found it:

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HBUS/HBUS2010/HBUS2010_530035560.pdf

According to that memo, I have about $15,000.00 worth of those tools and the E.P.A. can kiss my a................................foot!!!!!!
I won't be paying a dime in fines in this lifetime!!!
When I buy a tool, I buy the right to work on it as necessary and keep it running the way I want it.
That is NON-NEGOTIABLE!!!!!

Mike

According to that memo, I have about $15,000.00 worth of those tools and the E.P.A. can kiss my a................................foot!!!!!!
I won't be paying a dime in fines in this lifetime!!!
When I buy a tool, I buy the right to work on it as necessary and keep it running the way I want it.
That is NON-NEGOTIABLE!!!!!

Mike

10 years ago Id have thought a person crazy to tell me that. Not today tho!

"Defeat tool"

I really like how they give us the right part number!...They're geniuses I tell ya...genisuses!

I'll tell ya, this is going along about the way I thought it would end up going.

Lots of you guys are WAY over analyzing this poor little saw. It uses too much fuel, :hmm3grin2orange: That one really cracked me up. I got alot of time on that one I had hear and I didnt think it was ever going to run out.

Its too heavy to be a trim saw, aint got enough ass to run a 20" bar fast enough, needs a muffler mod and on and on.

Like I said from the beginning, this saw wasnt made with most of us in mind, but for the casual user, homeowner etc.

As I said I sold the one that I had to a coworker and he tells me he loves it. He takes it to his cabin to cut blowdowns, campfire wood etc. Says he actually used it quite a bit, and has been dead reliable. Another fella I know bought one for a firewood saw and he has been happy with it as well. Like the one I had, his seemed to be tuned pretty well straight out of the box.

The more I hear of these and after running the one I had, I still belive for there intended market, there a tough one to beat and even if they cost $50-$100 more.

Absolutely agree. My fuel comment (if it's mine you are referring too) was just a comment in comparison to the Stihl 271 it's cutting right beside. And further to it, I'll say that the 290 I ran for years was far, far harder on gas than the PP5020 and only a few cc bigger.

I'm super happy with the saw, I am the intended market I suppose - a homeowner who cuts a few cords or a contractor who wants a saw to beat the #### out of. I'm both.

Out of the box, the MS271 (another saw everyone hates, LOL) is nicer. But it's probably not quite TWICE as nice for the price, ya know. I really probably could have done with buying two of the 5020.

To me, the test is how this thing runs next year, or the year after. If it makes it through a summer of abuse, I'm a happy guy. Not looking to mod it, not looking for it to do anything but run when I pull the string and cut up the stuff I need it to cut up.

So far, this is a VERY GOOD 200 dollar chainsaw. When I get the carb tool and a full chisel chain, I'll see if I can do a head-to-head with the 271, and we'll see if I feel ripped off by the Stihl at that point!

Truly, this Poulan seems worth every penny, and anyone thinking "Maybe that's a good option for me" as a camping/hunting/firewood/construction tool with occassional use in mind.... I'd say buy it.

I'll tell ya, this is going along about the way I thought it would end up going.

Lots of you guys are WAY over analyzing this poor little saw. It uses too much fuel, :hmm3grin2orange: That one really cracked me up. I got alot of time on that one I had hear and I didnt think it was ever going to run out.

Its too heavy to be a trim saw, aint got enough ass to run a 20" bar fast enough, needs a muffler mod and on and on.

Like I said from the beginning, this saw wasnt made with most of us in mind, but for the casual user, homeowner etc.

As I said I sold the one that I had to a coworker and he tells me he loves it. He takes it to his cabin to cut blowdowns, campfire wood etc. Says he actually used it quite a bit, and has been dead reliable. Another fella I know bought one for a firewood saw and he has been happy with it as well. Like the one I had, his seemed to be tuned pretty well straight out of the box.

The more I hear of these and after running the one I had, I still belive for there intended market, there a tough one to beat and even if they cost $50-$100 more.

Well, it's no surprise that a saw like that would get nitpicked on a site like this. :msp_wink:

"But what new saw at that price?"..................which was the whole point of this thread to begin with, is a legitimate question. I've been following this discussion a little bit, because I can get these through Husky and sell them for the same $199. The closest real Husky that would do a similar amount of work, or suffice as a firewood saw would be the 445, and that's another $100. So there may be a place for it.

Also, a guy came in with one last week looking to buy a chain. The saw looked like it had been getting plenty of use, and I asked him what he thought of it. Told me he bought it in a pinch last year after Hurricane Irene, and that he thought it was a "pretty decent saw. Hasn't given me any problems."

Admitedly, most of us on here aren't going to want one, but like Mark says, it wasn't designed with guys like us in mind. The reason Husky offers them to us dealers, and also why they are putting money into developing the McCulloch brand, (mostly L&G stuff), is because there are plenty of entry level buyers who can't afford 562XPs and such.

There's another reason, that wasn't mentioned at any meetings or whatever, but I'm kind of deducing myself. I think we're going to be seeing more and more Chinese sourced saws with "brand of the month" names on them at some of the big retailers. Some of this stuff is already out there like those joke 35cc Homelites and Powerhorse, or Earthquake saws. I think you'll see something at Walmart this year. Husky has pretty much owned this business over the years with the Poulan brand, but the landscape is changing out there. If stores like Walmart can make more money selling a $129 chinese saw, then they are going to do it. And they absolutely don't care if there's a parts and service network out there or not.

So, Husky is now looking at the dealer base a little more regarding these price points. I'm still not sure how far Id get involved, if at all with the Poulan stuff. But the option is there if I want it.

I'll stand by my too heavy for a trim saw, A Echo CS400 can be bought off Ebay for just over $200 and wieghs 13# ready to cut vs I'd guess about 17# ready to cut for the 5020. But I use mine quite a bit and am 60 now so wieght means a lot. Steve

Before buying mine at Canadian Tire I went to a Husky dealer who also sells Poulan.

While I was looking at the saws he came over and said you want to buy a Poulan buy a Poulan Pro. I asked him about the 5020 and he never heard of it ...

This model seems very new in Canada.

I'll stand by my too heavy for a trim saw, A Echo CS400 can be bought off Ebay for just over $200 and wieghs 13# ready to cut vs I'd guess about 17# ready to cut for the 5020. But I use mine quite a bit and am 60 now so wieght means a lot. Steve

Steve I agree, but my saying what I did was more pointing out how silly it was that you even had to point that fact out.

As to the Echo, how will that model work out with a 20 inch bar with a full 3/8 chain on it ? What kind of warranty are you going to get with that Ebay Echo ?

Whenever a saw like the 5020 comes along and especially at a price point like this you have to look at the big picture and I just feel that there are some folks around here that are not doing that.

Latest posts

Back