Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why I put that silly reply was seems like someone had a MS310 and was going to buy the 5020 for trim saw, not saving much wieght in that case. I don't know if those Ebay saws have a warrenty or not and don't care. Tuned right about a 99% chance it won't be needed and most companys will blame it on bad gas or straigt gasses . Steve

Why I put that silly reply was seems like someone had a MS310 and was going to buy the 5020 for trim saw, not saving much wieght in that case. I don't know if those Ebay saws have a warrenty or not and don't care. Tuned right about a 99% chance it won't be needed and most companys will blame it on bad gas or straigt gasses . Steve

Well, now your one of the that's not looking at the big picture.

That Ebay Echo will not have any use to a Joe Shmoe homeowner who needs a saw right away. He won't wait to look for a deal on Ebay, then wait a week to get it either. He needs to get that tree off his shed today. He also don't know how to tune that little Echo properly, and that 2 year warranty is a big selling point to him as well is the 20" bar.

I got nothing at all against Echo's I just haven't seen any lately that are 50cc, 20" that come with a 2 year warranty for less then $200 that can be purchased in a hurry ready to run as is.

Last edited:
The 5020 is a fine saw for Joe Shmoe who only has 1 saw but it is not a trim saw for someone who already owns a MS310, what is it maybe 1# lighter?. Youl'll notice I never said anything bad about the 5020 except it's heavy for a trim saw. Steve

Before buying mine at Canadian Tire I went to a Husky dealer who also sells Poulan.

While I was looking at the saws he came over and said you want to buy a Poulan buy a Poulan Pro. I asked him about the 5020 and he never heard of it ...

This model seems very new in Canada.

it's been here for a while now. your dealer needs to talk to the rep looking after him and ask why he wasnt told about it. if it's the same "rep" looking after the couple of shops here, near where i live, i totaly understand his not knowing about it:ices_rofl:
talked to that guy once. very full of himself:laugh:

I agree with Mark, there are multitudes of folks that this is all the saw they need. No matter what the brand they are only good as they are maintained. I know several people who would be well served with a saw like this rather than go spend a crap pot full of money on a Husky or Stihl saw. It's all a vast majority of folks need, cutting four or five cord a year, trimming a few trees up, there is also the market out there who can't go out and afford to spend 500-800.00 on a saw and this will serve there families needs with proper maint.
I would ten times rather have it than a Earthquake, Powerhouse or other chinese import. At least it is made in the USA.

I agree with Mark, there are multitudes of folks that this is all the saw they need. No matter what the brand they are only good as they are maintained. I know several people who would be well served with a saw like this rather than go spend a crap pot full of money on a Husky or Stihl saw. It's all a vast majority of folks need, cutting four or five cord a year, trimming a few trees up, there is also the market out there who can't go out and afford to spend 500-800.00 on a saw and this will serve there families needs with proper maint.
I would ten times rather have it than a Earthquake, Powerhouse or other chinese import. At least it is made in the USA.

And let's not forget the stupidity of having a $600.00 saw sitting on a shelf collecting dust when a $200.00 saw will do the same job and the other $400.00 could be working FOR you!!!
(And YES I'm at the top of that group!!!)

Mike

And I agree with both of you. And I'd also bet there are multitudes of folks here who are looking down their noses at a saw that's not too different from what they themselves used years ago. How many people start out with 562's and 441's?

If this Poulan was the only saw someone had, and it filled the pickup truck with firewood, there really wouldn't be much to complain about.

For anyone that still somehow doesn't see the bargain in this saw, they are commonly found new for $200. There is one right now on ebay for $189 new with case with $10 shipping. So $200 shipped to your door for a 50cc saw.

The only new Poulan Wild Things (better known as Mild Thing) on ebay are $167 shipped without a case or $212 with a case. That's a 40cc saw.

Save $13, get a 10cc bigger chainsaw.

For anyone that still somehow doesn't see the bargain in this saw, they are commonly found new for $200. There is one right now on ebay for $189 new with case with $10 shipping. So $200 shipped to your door for a 50cc saw.

Save $13, get a 10cc bigger chainsaw.

up here,
you can walk into any canadian tire, tsc store, lowes, home hardware or castle and buy them for $229+tax. no need to wait on it. and no headace's dealing with ebay. after shipping costs, it's cheaper to buy local.

up here,
you can walk into any canadian tire, tsc store, lowes, home hardware or castle and buy them for $229+tax. no need to wait on it. and no headace's dealing with ebay. after shipping costs, it's cheaper to buy local.

Sears had them on sale yesterday for $189.00 with free shipping. Haven't checked today.

I'm not sure whats going on with the videos that I had embeded as there not showing now but I see the direct links still work.

Worth seeing again is the saw with a little larger muffler outlet under the stock deflector and with a good chain and 16" bar.

Once again I will remind that this is some hard wood, not pine or such. Cbfarmall will vouch as he took the video if I remember right.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3377/8wm.mp4

Sears had them on sale yesterday for $189.00 with free shipping. Haven't checked today.

In Canada no such luck ...
These 3 are all that are available at Sears Canada.
searssaws.jpg

These are the Poulan Pro's available at Canadian Tire.
cndtire.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone up here would pay that when you can get a 3400 for less than $100 and an 026 in good shape for less than a new 5020. Maybe I had too much wine tonight.

Was never lucky enough to find this kind of deal so I purchased the 5020 for 229$ on sale.

The saw shop wasn't lying to you. I was told the same the thing at a shop, & the mechtech directed me to a nearby tool shop that sold the spline tool ($9.99 + tax, about $10.80 total). Somewhere here on AS there is a link to the memo sent out by Husqvarna mentioning a fine for selling the spline tool to the public.

Oh, OK, I found it:

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HBUS/HBUS2010/HBUS2010_530035560.pdf

I went to the closest Husky dealer about 1 mile from home and ordered the tool by part number. This guy is very rude and unpleasant but I decided to see what he would say. All he said was gimme 20$ as a deposit since there is shipping involved ...

He sells both Husky and Stihl but doesn't want to order anymore Husky saws since they are now sold at Canadian Tire.

I tried ordering this tool from another dealer and he refused.

I don't want to order a 9.99 tool from ebay and get screwed with 30$ shipping and even worst with brokerage changes if it goes UPS.

I retired a Craftsman 42cc 18" this was my primary wood cutting saw, up until 2 years ago when I got my Husqvarna 445. The Craftsman was bought as a throwaway saw to cut firewood. I didn't expect it to last long but didn't at the time understand why anyone would pay so much for saws.
Needless to say it never let me down I ran that thing year after year and it continued to work through the wood. I sold it to buy a new chainsaw yesterday. I purchased a craftsman 5098 (5020) It is coming in the mail I paid 135 shipped NEW not a reman, case and all :D I am very excited. I think this will make a great saw for me. I did purchase a skip tooth jgx chain for any time I may have the bar buried, figured it would help it pull a bit better. I also order some woodsman pro semi chisel full compliment both for this saw and my 445. I figured for fun id run them against each other to see how they stack up with fresh chains. I think this will be a good long term saw for me. I do think ill do a muffler mod to this saw, just because I want to :D now if it will just get here I have wood stacked waiting....Very good thread by the way, seems to me that poulan has upped the ante and have made a great saw, dollar for dollar hard to beat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back